Jump to content

Training Camp Notes: 9/2


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Well I hope you are right. This was posted on the 31st while the one @FalconsIn2012 was from 5 hrs ago. Here's to hoping they play, we need them. 

Well Fowler has been back but Quinn already said Davidson needs to get up to speed and Hennessy is still battling his bruise. So those two might not make it Week 1

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

 

One issue I have with the article. The writer mentions that Henny may not play in the opener, but they really like McCray. If that is the case, why are they working McCray as the back-up center? Shouldn't he be working with the 1st team O so that they can develop a little bit of cohesiveness?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

One issue I have with the article. The writer mentions that Henny may not play in the opener, but they really like McCray. If that is the case, why are they working McCray as the back-up center? Shouldn't he be working with the 1st team O so that they can develop a little bit of cohesiveness?

Everybody breathe...we still have a week and a half.  Get to Friday with no improvement, then WE PANIC!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Well I hope you are right. This was posted on the 31st while the one @FalconsIn2012 was from 5 hrs ago. Here's to hoping they play, we need them. 

Quote

Matt Hennessy Starts At Left Guard In Friday Scrimmage, Leaves With 'Banged' Knee

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.co

Zach Hood

Aug 29, 2020

https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F-C

Atlanta Falcons rookie and 2020 third-round draft pick Matt Hennessy started at left guard in the Falcons' Friday morning scrimmage, per ESPN's Vaughn McClure.

McClure also notes that Hennessy left the scrimmage early with what is being described as a 'banged' knee.

Hennessy has been in competition with Matt Gono for the starting left guard position throughout training camp. With the rookie getting the nod with the starting unit Friday morning, it appears he has the inside track at the starting spot come Week 1 vs. the Seattle Seahawks. 

Hennessy was drafted as a center out of Temple University, but the Falcons have liked him at guard going back to the evaluation process. With second-year players Chris Lindstrom and Kaleb McGary on the right side of the offensive line, the Falcons will have a relatively young group outside of veteran center Alex Mack, the unquestioned leader of the group.

Hennessy's status is day-to-day, and it remains to be seen if he will participate in the Falcons' next scrimmage on Thursday.

https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/atlanta-falcons-left-guard-depth-chart-offense-defense-nfl-season-news-fans-updates

I think the kid will start. Quinn would have said more about it in today's presser and the press pool would be writing about it because it'd be the biggest news in a slow news cycle from TC. DLed being DLed again (If it was more to it, he would have put it at the top of his article).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I think the kid will start. Quinn would have said more about it in today's presser and the press pool would be writing about it because it'd be the biggest news in a slow news cycle from TC. DLed being DLed again (If it was more to it, he would have put it at the top of his article).

 

D led really asked about a fullback lol?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snozberies17 said:

Sanu has easily been one of my favorite players. I loved his attitude and the fact he always worked to get better. Seeing the chemistry between the WR's was fun to watch. That said... I'm not sure I'd bring him back. He's not getting any younger and would hurt the growth of young guys.

Sanu was great ,, But your right,, we have a bunch of young great talent.. So no worries .  13th post ... Welcome SB17 Hope that stands for Superbowl instead of Snozberies ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’ll be annoyed if he lands in TB

 

Why? If they go heavy run formation, it’s Godwin or Evans off of the field. I’ll take that any day. Likely means they are trying to play keep away or obvious PA.

Him in 11 personnel doesn’t scare me. Not much of a receiving threat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snozberies17 said:

Sanu has easily been one of my favorite players. I loved his attitude and the fact he always worked to get better. Seeing the chemistry between the WR's was fun to watch. That said... I'm not sure I'd bring him back. He's not getting any younger and would hurt the growth of young guys.

Sanu's not coming back - nobody needs to talk about it - waste of time.  He hasn't done anything since he left ATL, like you said, not getting any younger and Falcons have young guys that are coming along nicely.  

Nothing to see here, move along.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Why is this a surprise? I haven’t seen him as a lock since the day they traded for him. I could see it go either way though, because I don’t recall if TD/coach has ever traded for a player and not put them on the final 53.

Wasn't there a 1.4m guarantee when we kept him on the roster in the summer? Or am I mis-remembering

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 2:08 PM, vel said:

 

McGary was put in some very bad situations by his OC. We all knew pure pass pro was not his strength. Yet the OC was adamant on being the only offense in the NFL still running 7 step drops. Once they found some balance, McGary suddenly looked better. Him shutting out Cameron Jordan in the @ NO was not a coincidence. He's a brawler on the edge. He's not Jake Matthews. 

He was also much better when Lindstrom came back. He was by himself out there next to ... was it Brown or Carpenter? There's a lot of room for improvement to be sure, but a full off-season of conditioning, not having (known) medical problems, and stabilizing that RG spot will help him a ton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rugger8 said:

He was also much better when Lindstrom came back. He was by himself out there next to ... was it Brown or Carpenter? There's a lot of room for improvement to be sure, but a full off-season of conditioning, not having (known) medical problems, and stabilizing that RG spot will help him a ton.

That actually a very good point about who he was playing next to. I’ve seen this frequently over the decades where a solid OL looks much worse when playing next to a bad one. So yes, this most likely would have magnified any propellers he was having.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...