Training Camp Notes: 8/31

5 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

4. Run game improvement key. In 2019, NFL teams with a 100-yard rusher posted a 78-28 record for a .736 winning percentage. That rated higher than teams with a 100-yard receiver (96-84-2, .533) or a 300-yard passer (68-61-2, .530).

The Falcons didn’t have a 100-yard rusher in any game last season. The Falcons only went for more than 100 yards rushing, as a group, in four games. Devonta Freeman’s season-high was 88 yards in a loss Oct. 13 to Arizona.

Of note, former LSU running back Leonard Fournette was released by the Jaguars Monday morning.

Good post.

15 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Koetter on Hurst:

“We’re still learning Hayden,” Koetter said. “We’ve got to remember that Hayden is coming from a running team, where the tight end wasn’t really featured in their offense, to now coming to a place where we do use the tight end a lot. I would say that I’m still learning him. I think Matt is even still learning him. And Hayden is definitely still learning what we want from him.

“It’s a little too early for me to say anything about [comparisons]. I’m really fired up about the way Hayden works at it, how hard he pushes himself, and how you can really see his drive to be great. He’s a perfectionist.”

I'm going to go out on a limb and say....

Hayden Hurst can be a George Kittle-esque TE for us. 

Hurst is a load to deal with, he's plenty fast, and he brings the physicality similar to Kittle. Not saying he's going to put up similar numbers, when you still have Julio and Ridley as the primaries, but in terms of not wanting to tackle him, guys had a fight on their hands when Hurst had the ball. He also can be used in a variety of ways like Kittle. South Carolina gave Hurst some handoffs, similar to how the Niners have handed the ball to Kittle. Not many TEs can do that. In a very TE friendly scheme, Hurst could be a massive get. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

Hurst is a load to deal with, he's plenty fast, and he brings the physicality similar to Kittle. Not saying he's going to put up similar numbers, when you still have Julio and Ridley as the primaries, but in terms of not wanting to tackle him, guys had a fight on their hands when Hurst had the ball. He also can be used in a variety of ways like Kittle. South Carolina gave Hurst some handoffs, similar to how the Niners have handed the ball to Kittle. Not many TEs can do that. In a very TE friendly scheme, Hurst could be a massive get. 

Just looking at the highlights from camp, the guy is a beast. He looks big, tough, and fast. He's going to add an element to this team that we haven't had before. Hooper was a nice player, but Hurst is better.

15 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Just looking at the highlights from camp, the guy is a beast. He looks big, tough, and fast. He's going to add an element to this team that we haven't had before. Hooper was a nice player, but Hurst is better.

Yep. Different element. He plays faster than Hooper, regardless of the combine numbers. Look at how Kittle attacks defends when he has the ball. Hurst is the same way. When you have to tackle a 6'1 230lb RB vs a 5'8 200lb then turn around and tackle Hurst and Julio, it gets miserable quick. 

45 minutes ago, vel said:

"Little Kittle" ?

It has a ring to it.

46 minutes ago, vel said:

He provides nice diversity.  Based on the defense we face, he may be used little in the passing, little in the running game (blocking), or may be a big contributor.  If a defense is determined to limit Jones and Ridley, Hurst may have a big receiving game. 

As they say, take what the defense gives youi.

On 9/1/2020 at 12:05 AM, FalconsIn2012 said:

A wide contingent of TATF that ripped the Lindstrom pick are gonna eat crow.  There are so many reports of him looking like a dominant player.   No coincidence the Falcons got better when he came back.

We have seen the NFL film studies by ol’ crooked finger - Austin Hooper a fan, etc.   I will claim it now - multiple year pro-bowler by time career over, if healthy.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

A wide contingent of TATF that ripped the Lindstrom pick are gonna eat crow.  There are so many reports of him looking like a dominant player.   No coincidence the Falcons got better when he came back.

We have seen the NFL film studies by ol’ crooked finger - Austin Hooper a fan, etc.   I will claim it now - multiple year pro-bowler by time career over, if healthy.

I don’t know many that thought Lindstrom would be a bad player.  It just seemed odd considering we had just signed two OG’s in FA.  

It’s similar to this year.  I didn’t think Terrell was a bad player by any means.  I just thought Dantzler could provide the same value in round 3.  

But you’re right about Lindstrom.  He likely has an All Pro or two in his future

5 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don’t know many that thought Lindstrom would be a bad player.  It just seemed odd considering we had just signed two OG’s in FA.  

It’s similar to this year.  I didn’t think Terrell was a bad player by any means.  I just thought Dantzler could provide the same value in round 3.  

But you’re right about Lindstrom.  He likely has an All Pro or two in his future

Lot a people were bent we didn’t take Dexter Lawrence- who is good player - but I believe Lindstrom will be better and for longer.   Just not sexy.

paying below average OL top dollar in free agency wasn’t working and glad we bit the bullet and drafted guys.