Julio Jones, Kendall Sheffield ball out as competition heats up | AT&T Training Camp highlights

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

Dude hung around long enough to get his chance....ask @Draftnut57 lol

seriously Hill might explode this year....he figured it out 

I always thought Hill was a curious selection for us. We were still ostensibly running outside zone when we drafted him and he looked like a straight ahead runner. I wonder if he has the eyes and timing to run outside zone now that we're supposed to be returning to that scheme?

3 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

People were way to quick to sleep in Sheffield the past few weeks, thinking he was suddenly a rotational piece behind Oliver, Terrell and Dennard. I said before the teams perception of him made the Tru decision possible or at least easier. He will be on the field a majority of the snaps IMO.

I sure hope so. I love him and Gage

3 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

Yeah their technique does look cleaned up. Something interesting Kazee said today in his press conference. He said in the past the DBs were taught to "wait for the ball". He said Whitt is teaching them to " go and get the ball". Thats showing in every video so far. That kinda answers why they could never get turnovers in the past, they were playing passive on the back end.

I was just telling  @vel that the other day pertaining to ways coaches teach. Before they taught get in phase and then turn your head. Whitt teaches aggression. He turns you turn. And get your hands up. 

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Julio Jones for a guy that’s 31 years old and Father Time is meant to catch up with guys but he doesn’t look any slower or has lost anything in and out of breaks to me.

Maybe it’s just an expected thing athletically from this guy but physically he’s is not of this earth.Im expecting another huge year from #11.

Like I’ve said for a while here and you may remember me saying this. Freaks of nature like Julio, Miss, Deion etc...when they lose a step they are still as fast as the fastest because they were so much faster to begin with. When Julio loses a step he will be even with everybody else that’s considered an elite athlete. Freaks of nature don’t fall behind. They break even. 

2 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Dude hung around long enough to get his chance....ask @Draftnut57 lol

seriously Hill might explode this year....he figured it out 

Gurley has historically been a great handcuff partner. Outside zone is tough on a defense’s stamina and Powerbacks have been productive when partnered with Gurley!

8 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

Yeah their technique does look cleaned up. Something interesting Kazee said today in his press conference. He said in the past the DBs were taught to "wait for the ball". He said Whitt is teaching them to " go and get the ball". Thats showing in every video so far. That kinda answers why they could never get turnovers in the past, they were playing passive on the back end.

I listened to the interview after reading this and noticed that you said he said they were taught to wait, but he didn't say that, he just said that they would wait for the ball and now they are being more aggressive in going to it. He didn't even say that was because of coaching either though. Either way, I'm glad they are being more aggressive. 

13 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Julio Jones for a guy that’s 31 years old and Father Time is meant to catch up with guys but he doesn’t look any slower or has lost anything in and out of breaks to me.

Maybe it’s just an expected thing athletically from this guy but physically he’s is not of this earth.Im expecting another huge year from #11.

He is a freak of nature. I don't think he will slow down anytime soon. He has those TO genetics where he can be effective even when hes sniffing 40, its just a matter of if he wants to play that long or not and put that wear and tear on his body.

15 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Like I’ve said for a while here and you may remember me saying this. Freaks of nature like Julio, Miss, Deion etc...when they lose a step they are still as fast as the fastest because they were so much faster to begin with. When Julio loses a step he will be even with everybody else that’s considered an elite athlete. Freaks of nature don’t fall behind. They break even. 

Yeah, they just have to adjust their game to being non-alien.  Julio as he ages will have to use his strength more and could stand to get a touch better at contested catches.  If he can make those, he could play til 40 if he wanted.

He'll have to make the adjustments Jordan did.  Ok, I'm a bit slower than I was, but I can still do these few things great...I'll lean into those.

16 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

And Julio has mastered the technical points of being a WR.  So even when his physical skillset does regress back to the mean, he will still be an effective WR for many years

20 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, they just have to adjust their game to being non-alien.  Julio as he ages will have to use his strength more and could stand to get a touch better at contested catches.  If he can make those, he could play til 40 if he wanted.

He'll have to make the adjustments Jordan did.  Ok, I'm a bit slower than I was, but I can still do these few things great...I'll lean into those.

I agree It’ll be just like jordan but in football. Great analogy. What he’ll probably lose is the long game so he’ll have to rely on his short game. But even then he can probably still get deep. Just not as consistent. As for contested catches I don’t have an issue with that. He catches contested balls as well as any wr. They’re contested for a reason lol. They win some they lose some. And usually it’s placement of the ball that comes into play on a contested catch.

For instance AJ making the play on the quick slant. Great placement by Matt but AJ was in his hip pocket. 50/50. On the same play Matt put the ball just a tad behind julio and AJ contested it but couldn’t get to it.

I never understood the issue with not coming down with every contested ball. A good corner is gonna make plays too. But I see Julio make more contested plays than not. Again most of that has to do with ball placement. If a qb throws a ball in a tight window and it favors the DB’s position the DB will more than likely make the play. 

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

And Julio has mastered the technical points of being a WR.  So even when his physical skillset does regress back to the mean, he will still be an effective WR for many years

Absolutely. @takeitdown and myself just talked about that. He’ll probably adjust his game like jordan did in the nba. Less dunks and more perimeter shots. Julio less deep passes and more short and intermediate. Like it was with Carter. Ridley will take over deep responsibility like moss did with the vikes. 

11 hours ago, Dem Birds said:

I listened to the interview after reading this and noticed that you said he said they were taught to wait, but he didn't say that, he just said that they would wait for the ball and now they are being more aggressive in going to it. He didn't even say that was because of coaching either though. Either way, I'm glad they are being more aggressive. 

It was def because of coaching. If they’re not coaching that habit out of them it’s coaching. 

14 minutes ago, vel said:

They're coaching them to be more aggressive attacking the ball. That's mindset. How each player chooses to do that is different. That was my point. 

I get that. That’s true. My point that day was when you said they can’t teach them to turn their head. My counter was they can. Manuel used to teach if they’re not in phase don’t turn. Whereas Whitt teaches aggression. Attacking the ball no matter what. He turns you turn and attack. So to that point how they choose to attack is on them. But the entire unit is getting coached differently when it comes to the ball now. We can see the difference. It’s def in the way it’s being taught. That was my argument the other day bro. No big deal tho. Just get it done lol. 

On 8/27/2020 at 11:34 AM, TheFatboi said:

I was more along the narrative some portrayed on here that as soon as Julio reached a certain point where his athleticism wasn’t what it was some thought he’d fall off the ledge performance wise which is BS but it’s been around here the I told you so narrative.

Some will find any excuse to cast a stone.