Gurley 15 touches minimum

23 hours ago, KCFalcon22 said:

Realistically, there’s no way Gurley is going to average 25 touches a game over 16 games. That would be 400 touches for the season, a total Gurley has never approached: In his most productive season, 2017, Gurley had 343 touches.

But 15-20 may be realistic, and Koetter says he has liked everything he’s seen from Gurley in training camp. Gurley’s production declined in 2018 and again in 2019, but the Falcons are hopeful that he can prove he has something left.

I am one of Koetter's biggest critics, so consider that when I defend his statement a little.  I did not think he was looking at 15-25 touches as an average.  I thought his mindset was that when Gurley is feeling good and the defense is tired, he may hit 25 touches on that day.  On a less opportune day, he may be limited to 15.  I could have that wrong, but that could me an average of 20 touches at the most.  And, of course we are all guessing, including Koetter.  We do not know how productive Gurley can be.  It was very strange the way he was used last season.  Some of his runs indicate he is healthy.  Yet, the Falcons have limits on his practices. 

Hopefully, we are going to use Gurley to mix it up early in close games.  If we have a lead, there should be no reason the other RBs cannot close things out.  I do not want to see Todd overused. 

16 hours ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Ok so is Gurley a first round fantasy back? Austin Eckler is my keeper in the 5th, Saquon and Mccaffrry will he gone and it’ll be a cold day in heck before I draft a saint. Do I take Gurley or a receiver at 8? It’s a ppr league

I wouldn't trust a RB with bad knees on a Falcons roster with years of questionable O-Line play in the 1st round. Look elsewhere.

20 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

I am one of Koetter's biggest critics, so consider that when I defend his statement a little.  I did not think he was looking at 15-25 touches as an average.  I thought his mindset was that when Gurley is feeling good and the defense is tired, he may hit 25 touches on that day.  On a less opportune day, he may be limited to 15.  I could have that wrong, but that could me an average of 20 touches at the most.  And, of course we are all guessing, including Koetter.  We do not know how productive Gurley can be.  It was very strange the way he was used last season.  Some of his runs indicate he is healthy.  Yet, the Falcons have limits on his practices. 

Hopefully, we are going to use Gurley to mix it up early in close games.  If we have a lead, there should be no reason the other RBs cannot close things out.  I do not want to see Todd overused. 

Koetter scares me at times.  He downplays Gurley with, We have to see if he's healthy.  Now he's getting a minimum of 15.  I hope somewhere between 15-25 with catches, to me that would be great if Gurley stays healthy.  I agree if we have a lead i'd lean on Hill and Ollison to close out the game.  Ito scares me and maybe I need to watch more film lol

On 8/26/2020 at 8:21 AM, PriMeTiiMe said:

We have him on a 1 year deal. Run him into the ground. The likelihood of us bringing him back is slim (Hopefully we learned from the Freeman situation)

20-25 with some weeks even hitting 30.

You definitely don’t run him into the ground so he can be available and useful during the latter part of the season. You have to look at the total run game. 20-25 runs total in a well balanced game. If he carries the ball 15 times the other 5-10 carries is split between Hill/Ito/Ollison. That’s how you keep TG strong later in the season. He doesn’t have to be a workhorse here because we have Julio and Ridley. The only way he should reach 30 carries is if a game goes in OT and he already had the max of 25. 

On 8/26/2020 at 8:38 AM, Monolith2001 said:

While I want us to get as much value as we can out of TG since he seems like he very well could be a one year rental, I don't want us forcing anything.  Mix it up and keep the D off balance.   This O-line is not built to impose our will for 60 mins, they are form and finesse.  We also need to figure out what we got behind TG too.

I hope not would like to see Gurley have a good year and sign a contract with us

15 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

not worth it to pay RBs. ever.

Yea, this is probably a one year thing with Gurley. Still, hopefully for us he has a monster seaoson and gets payed... by someone else. 

Perhaps the best long term scenario for us is he has a very succesful season on limited touches and we can lock him up on a 2-3 year contract worth the current amount anually. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot
On 8/26/2020 at 8:21 AM, PriMeTiiMe said:

We have him on a 1 year deal. Run him into the ground. The likelihood of us bringing him back is slim (Hopefully we learned from the Freeman situation)

20-25 with some weeks even hitting 30.

Agreed... but I do hope he's available in week 17, and into February.