Falcons release Jamon Brown

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Making room for clowney 

TD is usually pretty good with money but his and Carpenter's contracts were strange.

Posted Images

• JAMON BROWNG, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
    10484.jpg

Falcons released OG Jamon Brown. 

The move comes after Brown cleared the concussion protocol. Rookie Matt Hennessy was apparently going to beat Brown out for starting duties. Signed to a "three-year deal" last March, Brown made nine ineffective 2019 starts. He is still due $4.75 million following his release, so the move is not purely financial. Headed into his age-27 campaign, Brown has 47 games of starting experience. He should be a regular on the workout circuit. 

RELATED: 
    Aug 24, 2020, 6:24 PM ET

•  

4 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Weird, we save absolutely nothing this year with this move, so he must've really been a clear odd man out on the depth chart.

It’s very strange move.  At this point he would need to be a distraction to warrant the dead money associated with releasing him.

Financially this makes little sense

The Atlanta Falcons announced Monday evening that they have released veteran offensive guard Jamon Brown.

Brown, 27, joined the Falcons as a free agent prior to the 2019 season and started nine games for the team at right guard after first-round pick Chris Lindstrom sustained a foot injury in Week 1. Brown had mixed results on the field last season, but he was named as one of the players who was expected to compete for the starting left guard role in training camp this year. That largely hasn't happened, however, as Brown entered the league's concussion protocol on Aug. 19 and did not return to practice until Monday.

What it means

With the team moving on from Brown, the Falcons' left guard competition will continue to center around rookie Matt Hennessy, James Carpenter and Matt Gono. Hennessy has worked with the starters for the last four practices, while Carpenter has been the backup left guard and Gono spending time with the second team at both guard and left tackle.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-release-jamon-brown-and-what-it-means

So, looking like Matthews, Mack, Carpenter, Lindstrom, McGary, Hennessy, and Gono are likely in. That's 7 and leaves 1-3 spots open for McCray, Wetzel, Harlow, Gooseberry, and/or Ksiezarczyk (not listing the guy we signed yesterday, he has no chance). Any bets?

I'd bet we'd only take one of McCray and Wetzel, though I could be wrong, and I'm not putting any money on Harlow making the roster.

I'd lean toward one of the vets, and one of the undrafted rookies. (think I'll watch some film on the two rookies tonight)

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

So, looking like Matthews, Mack, Carpenter, Lindstrom, McGary, Hennessy, and Gono are likely in. That's 7 and leaves 1-3 spots open for McCray, Wetzel, Harlow, Gooseberry, and/or Ksiezarczyk (not listing the guy we signed yesterday, he has no chance). Any bets?

I'd bet we'd only take one of McCray and Wetzel, though I could be wrong, and I'm not putting any money on Harlow making the roster.

I'd lean toward one of the vets, and one of the undrafted rookies. (think I'll watch some film on the two rookies tonight)

You know we gonna sign and release Wetzel a minimum of 7 times through the season.