Quinn says NO Earl Thomas

Dan Quinn was the defensive coordinator of the Seahawks before he became the head coach of the Falcons and safety Earl Thomas was one of the best players on a unit that helped Seattle win Super Bowl XLVIII.

The Seahawks went back to the Super Bowl the next season before Quinn headed to Atlanta, but the coach isn’t looking for a reunion in Georgia. Thomas was released by the Ravens on Sunday in response to a fight with teammate Chuck Clark a couple of days earlier and Quinn was asked on Monday if the Falcons have interest in the safety. Quinn said, via multiple reporters, that he loves Thomas as a player but that the team is not looking for an addition to the position group.

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy also indicated on Monday that the team was not going to pursueThomas.

Keanu Neal and Ricardo Allen are set to start at safety for the Falcons. They also have Damontae Kazee, J.J. Wilcox and fourth-round pick Jaylinn Hawkins on hand.

21 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The Seahawks & Ravens are both well run organizations and asked ET to Get outta here.  Cowboys will take anyone and passed.  These are not tiny red flags.  They are Code Red warnings 

Thats the thing that makes me say I'm okay with passing.  The Ravens even gave AB a look (also Steve Smith), so you know they have a culture of accepting and dealing with big attitudes.  He will end up in Houston or San Fran

6 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He sucks. 

Earl sucks now too bro. Doesn’t have that same athleticism he had in Seattle to freelance plays. He’s leaving teammates out to dry now because he can’t recover like he did in Seattle. And to be honest that’s really the only difference between earl and Rico. Earl freelanced a lot in Seattle and Rico doesn’t freelance. He chooses to cleanup. And that’s all good for either player. Earl also had Sherman so he  could take more freelance chances.

He hasn’t been the same since he hasn’t had a corner like sherm. He freelanced against us in 2012 and left sherm out to dry and roddy scored that TD. Many here try to put it on sherm but that was absolutely 110% on earl freelancing. The seam was his responsibility. I love a freelancing safety. Ed Reed and Troy P were arguably 2 of the best ever but when you lose that step the free lancing ain’t as effective. Happened to Ed and Troy as well. The injuries have done that to earl now. And if he ain’t playing with a heady corner it’s gonna show up even more.

He probably could come here and do well because of the familiarity of the system but he’s been a not so good teammate since they broke up the legion of boom. Not sure I’d want that here. As much as I like earl I’m not confident in his mental state with new teammates. 

I can see that... WE have plenty of talent to win with,,  If they can't win with this much talent on this team which is mind blowing ... Then it's simple .... WE don't have the right Coaches.  If a Coach can't get this team that is so so loaded with talent.. a Top QB who they will not be able to blame on him either ..  It is simply going to come down to how good our Coaching is...  WE have the meat !!  As the commercial states...  WE have the talent on the field like I  have  never witnessed in my Falcon Fan life.

So to our Coaches,, GET RIGHT, or GET LEFT !!! Or Get fired... No , I don't like seeing people get fired.. But if they cannot win with this team.. They are a bunch of pitiful Coaches..  JTS

17 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Earl sucks now too bro. Doesn’t have that same athleticism he had in Seattle to freelance plays. He’s leaving teammates out to dry now because he can’t recover like he did in Seattle. And to be honest that’s really the only difference between earl and Rico. Earl freelanced a lot in Seattle and Rico doesn’t freelance. He chooses to cleanup. And that’s all good for either player. Earl also had Sherman so he  could take more freelance chances.

He hasn’t been the same since he hasn’t had a corner like sherm. He freelanced against us in 2012 and left sherm out to dry and roddy scored that TD. Many here try to put it on sherm but that was absolutely 110% on earl freelancing. The seam was his responsibility. I love a freelancing safety. Ed Reed and Troy P were arguably 2 of the best ever but when you lose that step the free lancing ain’t as effective. Happened to Ed and Troy as well. The injuries have done that to earl now. And if he ain’t playing with a heady corner it’s gonna show up even more.

He probably could come here and do well because of the familiarity of the system but he’s been a not so good teammate since they broke up the legion of boom. Not sure I’d want that here. As much as I like earl I’m not confident in his mental state with new teammates. 

True

The thing that would bother me most about Thomas is bringing him in this late.  The secondary is built on communication, and you're taking a guy just a few weeks in advance of our first game and saying "figure it out with the rest of these guys."

If he was still the Earl Thomas of 7 years ago, that wouldn't matter.  But he isn't.  Hard pass.

51 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

That is about the skinny of it.

Thomas would make us better In Madden though....so there is that

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The Seahawks & Ravens are both well run organizations and asked ET to Get outta here.  Cowboys will take anyone and passed.  These are not tiny red flags.  They are Code Red warnings 

Well the Ravens are.

There was talk of the inmates running the asylum in Seattle towards the end of the LOB.

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

This is a good post. 

2 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Falcon filter strikes again! 

This seems like more than just a filter.  This is common sense.  ET was asked to leave after a fight with a team mate and the player-leaders of the team agreed with his dismissal.  

Clearly Mr. Thomas has some issues that prevent him from being a good team mate.  I would take a hard pass on him.  

2 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Falcon filter strikes again! 

Maybe.  I looked at his stats.  2018 numbers were not considered.  Apparently, he was injured.  2019 stats were different, some up, some down.  To me that indicates the Ravens used him differently than the Seahawks.  He has played in the NFL for 10 years.  Is there a lack of interest because of age, fall-off, or is a behavioral filter in effect? 

This is one messed up off-season/pre-season.  Is it smart to stick with what you have and try to prepare for the season, or is it smart to pick up a talented player if you can?  I don't have an answer.  I am just saying this is complicated komplimikated.