Lɪɴᴅsᴛᴏᴍ - 𝕄𝕠𝕣𝕘𝕒𝕟 𝕚𝕤 ℝ𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 ℂ𝕠𝕒𝕔𝕙 𝔽𝕠𝕣 ℍ𝕚𝕞 & 𝔽𝕒𝕝𝕔𝕠𝕟𝕤

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

btw Vandy - I am still around - just no time to breathe w/ this Mortgage Boom right now.    Off-the-chain crazy - working nights, weekends, etc.

I figured As much bro, i bet it’s crazy right now. 

Peeps better get it done now, rates are gonna shoot up once economy gets rolling again and inflation becomes an issue. 

9 hours ago, JOEinPHX said:

Never mind whatever controversy exists here.  My question is, can you ban a poster for futzing around with the title font that way?

ⒽⓄⓌ  🅓🅐🅡🅔  џɵự  🄼🄾🄲🄺  🅼🆈  ҒΩΠTS

F͜͡a͜͡l͜͡c͜͡o͜͡n͜͡s͜͡ i͜͡n͜͡ 2͜͡0͜͡2͜͡0͜͡:  12-4 ωιтн α тσρ 10 σffєиѕє & ∂єfєиѕє

17 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

They may be athletic for their size, but at 340 lbs & 330 lbs they simply are not ideal if the goal is to exploit the outside D gap which is traditional outside zone.  

Ive always felt both Carp/Brown were Koetter guys because his preference is inside zone or power man.  What we ultimately saw a lot of last year was mid zone...the aim of mid zone (Rams are heavy mid zone team) is the edge of the B gap to the C gap play side.

Once Wes took over at LG we  once again had the requisite athleticism to run wide and get to the D gap.

They definitely wanted a shift away from what we ran from 15-18.

While Carp is a more exclusive gap/inside zone player, I did see more of a zone or gap RG in Brown. He has more mental lapses than anything and injuries unfortunately. Despite his size, he has more lateral quickness in his game than Carp.

Good point on when the Falcons went back to wide zone but that coincided with Lindstrom’s return as well and a shift in some of the gameplans the last few weeks of the season.

I still have no idea why they waited to convert Gono to OG when Ty was right there serving as the #3 OT. If they really didn’t trust a combo of Wes at LG and Jamon at RG, put Gono in the mix sooner. Chris was hurt week 1 after all.

13 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Falcons did the same thing in Mike Smith's 2nd to last year on the defensive front - got tired of being called soft - so they go get Samoan NT Paul Soliai from Dolphins and Tyson Jackson from Chiefs in free agency to get bigger and more physical - but neither fit the scheme.   Plus neither were great players.

Quinn/Dimitroff did the same w/ Carp and Brown signings - terrible scheme fits but we will be "more physical" - <insert eye roll here>.      

Planet Autism: square pegs don't fit into round holes | The Art of ...

That’s just it, tho. Falcons couldn’t figure out how to make the zone run game work anymore in 2018; whether it be a result of lacking a Shanny disciple or not (see Sark firing) in order to match wide zone and PA pass game...but Koetter and Mularkey came in with a shift in scheme.

^That’s exactly why the OGs were signed.

Of course, the scheme seemed to fail and we got behind most games early in the year anyway. Turns out a lot of the issues may have even been Freeman all along from some analytics saying more was there but our RBs failed. If anything, Free was not a fit with his running style and vision for mostly between the tackles running, as he made his mark in the league from 15-17 in a pure zone system.

Glad we are back to wide zone. Koetter is being asked to run what we did before.

11 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

Regarding Chris Morgan, I will believe he is a good coach when he shows the results of good coaching.  At this point, I have seen a lot of subpar OLs on his watch.  Now, maybe some of those poor OLs resulted from personnel selection.  Maybe some of it resulted from wrong scheme applied to good players.  Maybe it was Matt Ryan.  Maybe it was me.  That is enough maybes and that is way too much subpar performance.  Chris Morgan, show me you can field a competitive OL.  I am not asking for great, just competitive.  Just for this season.  Let's see if you can do that.  If not, I do not want to hear more hype, more excuses, and I do not want you to get more chances.  Get it done or get out.

Chris Morgan was Falcons OL coach in 2016 when the Falcons had the best OL in the entire NFL.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

They definitely wanted a shift away from what we ran from 15-18.

While Carp is a more exclusive gap/inside zone player, I did see more of a zone or gap RG in Brown. He has more mental lapses than anything and injuries unfortunately. Despite his size, he has more lateral quickness in his game than Carp.

Good point on when the Falcons went back to wide zone but that coincided with Lindstrom’s return as well and a shift in some of the gameplans the last few weeks of the season.

I still have no idea why they waited to convert Gono to OG when Ty was right there serving as the #3 OT. If they really didn’t trust a combo of Wes at LG and Jamon at RG, put Gono in the mix sooner. Chris was hurt week 1 after all.

They just did everything backwards last year.  Brought in 2 offensive coaches with no WCO pedigree and asked them to call Shanny/Falcons playbook.

Then Quinn took over as DC and went away from his bread & butter, 43 Under...instead we miserably failed in our 5-3/3-4 experiment.

So both Coordinators were trying something not in their wheelhouse last year.  Foolish.  And we wonder why the team lacks an identity

11 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

Then, what happened in 2017, 2018, and 2019? 

2017 run game was still decent. But we lacked a good offensive staff to support Sark so it fell apart that year and in 2018. No run game. Also, Free/Levitre/Chester/Schraeder’s regression/Lolo/DiMarco all gone/injured or massive falloff...that’s 6 pieces to your run game from 2016 by 2018.

So...partly coaching and player drop off.