ESPN lists as losers because they always say this about teams that stand pat. However, their analysis is good:

"It's a mild loss, but ending up with only Tommy Milone as a rotation addition could leave the Braves short with its injury-ravaged starting staff. Still, I'm not too worked up about it. Max Fried has emerged as a legitimate ace, and there will be a lot of pressure on him to show that in October, if only to save a very good bullpen that figures to be leaned upon once the playoffs begin.

Milone is really just a guy, even if he did start on Opening Day for the Orioles. The Braves have a lot of just-a-guys after Fried, at least by 2020 performance. Prospect Ian Anderson recently made his debut, and perhaps he will prove to be the spark the group needs. Still, the Braves have plenty of overall talent to win in October, even if manager Brian Snitker has to pick and choose his matchups carefully when the big tournament begins."

In a weird way, our lack of starters can help in a short series. We can pick the hot hand and base decisions on matchups. Or a guy could go Full Folty. You just never know.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Came here to check out the meltdown. You guys never disappoint. 😄

But the entire planet wishes it were.

Lmfao this is so accurate 

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Already reports that Arizona will look to unload the Bumgarner contract in the winter. Many regrets in Arizona over that one and now hes still owed $79M.

Good luck getting someone to take on that anchor. So glad the Braves front office is smarter than the dumb fans that wanted the Braves to sign Bumgarner.

DOB did some digging.l around the league. He said he was told Texas, LA and Cleveland all wanted 3 of Anderson, Waters, Pache and Riley. Braves tried for Lynn, Bundy and Clevinger. He said they tried to get Texas to back off their price all the way up to 4 PM. He highlighted the lack of lower level talent. The Coppy punishment cost the Braves 13 lower level guys. The Padres were able to do what they did with strong lower level guys. Braves are still trying to rebuild those spots. So it has teams asking for guys like those four.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

DOB did some digging.l around the league. He said he was told Texas, LA and Cleveland all wanted 3 of Anderson, Waters, Pache and Riley. Braves tried for Lynn, Bundy and Clevinger. He said they tried to get Texas to back off their price all the way up to 4 PM. He highlighted the lack of lower level talent. The Coppy punishment cost the Braves 13 lower level guys. The Padres were able to do what they did with strong lower level guys. Braves are still trying to rebuild those spots. So it has teams asking for guys like those four.

LOL. What a joke 

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Wait a minute! What does Coppy have to do with the minor league system?!

On 8/31/2020 at 10:59 PM, tl;dr said:

Ngl, some of it was me embellishing it a little bit lol. 

What are your honest thoughts on us standing pat?

Considering so many other teams stood pat too, I can only guess that the asking price for controlled pitchers was just as high as everyone says it is. San Diego was able to flex the muscle of having the top farm system by trading a bunch of talent that was probably redundant to them, but valuable to someone else. I actually like the haul Cleveland got for Clevinger and Seattle got for Austin Nola, but I doubt San Diego will miss it.

The Braves have a top-heavy farm system right now. There's really no equivalent package to what SD gave Cleveland -- anything we could do would either be a gross overpay or not close to what SD did. We talk about it in the first 10 minutes or so of the podcast this week. 

The reason the Angels have sucked for what seems like forever now is because they have absolutely no pitching and haven't had any in a long time. Well when you make dumb trades like trading Mike Clevinger to the Indians straight up for Vinnie Pestano, well, that's just dumb.

Just another example of a BAD trade deadline deal and why sometimes it's better to not make a trade at all than to panic and make a bad one.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jidady said:

I just re-read everything in this thread.

This one stood out.

I'm sure I have some gems in this thread too. But this trade was perhaps the worst thing I've ever seen on these boards (and I saw the shanny is a qb killer thread). Anderson and one of Pache/Waters have been untouchable. I'm still on board that I would be willing to trade one of Pache or Waters if the right deal presents itself. To trade Anderson, Wright and Riley, I would want like deGrom and even then after seeing how these 2 have pitched recently, I still don't think I would pull the trigger. 

On 8/31/2020 at 4:07 PM, Malachore said:

Be sure to remember that when you are *****ing about another 1st round exit.

People are going to be pissed about the most overrated GM in MLB doing jack **** this year. The guy has failed this team big time since the season re opened. 

This one aged well...

39 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

He’s been missing for a good minute. Did he get the ban hammer? I consider him a friend. As much as one can be on a message board at least. 

I think he is restricted from posting. He's been visiting, was reading the forum last night.