Falcons Pass Defense Dating Back to 2006

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Ees3hMPXgAA7YmT?format=jpg&name=large
That’s right.

2012 was the only season in the last 14 years a Falcons team scored above the league average in pass defense.

This even took into account being a Dome team and is designed to make them look better.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Dimi should have put a second contract on Grimes way back in 2010, and definitely in 2013 after Miko posted up YouTubes of him jumping four feet in the air after his devastating injury. He decided to double down on Tru and Alf instead. Oh boy.

Grimes went on to three straight Pro Bowls in MIA as we watched Tru and Alf get introduced to the NFL. We really got Troffed on that one folks. First on the 2010 contract, then on the tag, and finally in the 2013 cap purge.

Dimi knew how to deal with Miko, even though TATF didn't. Search your feelings. You know it to be true. Grimes was one of the best Falcon CBs ever. Trust me. I've seen em all. I'd work him out next week and give him a vet min if he's got anything left. Playmaker.

And 2008-2019 has been under two head coaches that were “defensive minds” and former DC’s 

Imagine if we’d found a solid offensive HC and Matt spent several years or potentially the majority of his career in the same system. The opportunity cost of having an elite QB but choosing to go with (failed) defensive minded HC’s.. oof

18 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Dimi should have put a second contract on Grimes way back in 2010, and definitely in 2013 after Miko posted up YouTubes of him jumping four feet in the air after his devastating injury. He decided to double down on Tru and Alf instead. Oh boy.

Grimes went on to three straight Pro Bowls in MIA as we watched Tru and Alf get introduced to the NFL. We really got Troffed on that one folks. First on the 2010 contract, then on the tag, and finally in the 2013 cap purge.

Dimi knew how to deal with Miko, even though TATF didn't. Search your feelings. You know it to be true. Grimes was one of the best Falcon CBs ever. Trust me. I've seen em all. I'd work him out next week and give him a vet min if he's got anything left. Playmaker.

To be fair, it was an old roster that missed its window and tough decisions came, but we shouldn’t have let Abraham go at minimum.

Grimes I can understand given the serious injury, but we also then had Willy Mo get more injury prone and DeCoud was not the kind of FS a team feared.

And, while Lofton was a solid 2 down LB he became obsolete as he was always a liability for us in coverage. We needed a Debo way back theb, but Smith’s defenses were not modernized and its why he tried lean on Mike Nolan to help them become updated as the league got more pass heavy. It didn’t help Spoon became injury prone as well.

Babs was solid but never spectacular as well. Just a weak roster on defense for a long time.

However, if the secondary comes together I don’t see why this current roster can’t become team 2 vs the pass and actually beat league average again. We do that, we have a shot at a run this year.

All I got to say about that is - TD hasn’t smelled a pass rush since he got here. I know here comes the TD lovers but justify the pass rush or lack of a pass rush. We’re in three decades of this ****. 
Give MR2 a dam defense OL and pass rush and see what happens. It’s been a problem over and over. Say what????

23 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Big Facts. Back when everybody used to call him Sugar Nips lol... He should have been picked up by somebody last year too. Although i will say any man who allows his women to be in his business that much may need a special type an advocate lol. Brent Grimes was hand's down one of the best corners to put on a Falcon's jersey.

18 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

To be fair, it was an old roster that missed its window and tough decisions came, but we shouldn’t have let Abraham go at minimum.

Grimes I can understand given the serious injury, but we also then had Willy Mo get more injury prone and DeCoud was not the kind of FS a team feared.

And, while Lofton was a solid 2 down LB he became obsolete as he was always a liability for us in coverage. We needed a Debo way back theb, but Smith’s defenses were not modernized and its why he tried lean on Mike Nolan to help them become updated as the league got more pass heavy. It didn’t help Spoon became injury prone as well.

Babs was solid but never spectacular as well. Just a weak roster on defense for a long time.

However, if the secondary comes together I don’t see why this current roster can’t become team 2 vs the pass and actually beat league average again. We do that, we have a shot at a run this year.

Weak defensive roster because we went heavy offense during those early years. Still, even with less overall talent the defense 2008-12 was better than they’ve been during the Quinn years.

52 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Weak defensive roster because we went heavy offense during those early years. Still, even with less overall talent the defense 2008-12 was better than they’ve been during the Quinn years.

I'll give Smitty credit. He never overestimated his talent. As much as we wanted better, they couldn't be better. DQ thinks he was trotting out the LOB last year. 

2 hours ago, vel said:

I'll give Smitty credit. He never overestimated his talent. As much as we wanted better, they couldn't be better. DQ thinks he was trotting out the LOB last year.

That last part cracked me up Vel....😀

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

I mean if only Abraham, our best front 7 player and DE of the Ryan era, had been healthy for the 2012 playoffs...

From 08-11, we drafted 9 defensive players in the first 3 rounds.

The real problem is they just weren’t good picks or got injured. Our top 3 picks between 2009 and 2010 couldn’t stay healthy.

All defenders. 2009 alone had 5 picks on defense before we took an offensive player and 7 overall that draft.

From 2008-2012, 38 draft picks and 22 were defenders. 15 offensive players. 1 Punter.

2 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I mean if only Abraham, our best front 7 player and DE of the Ryan era, had been healthy for the 2012 playoffs...

From 08-11, we drafted 9 defensive players in the first 3 rounds.

The real problem is they just weren’t good picks or got injured. Our top 3 picks between 2009 and 2010 couldn’t stay healthy.

All defenders. 2009 alone had 5 picks on defense before we took an offensive player and 7 overall that draft.

From 2008-2012, 38 draft picks and 22 were defenders. 15 offensive players. 1 Punter.

In 2011-12, the Julio trade greatly watered down what little draft value In defensive players picked in those two seasons. 

my point was all our Top 10 picks were on offense (Ryan, Julio, Matthews).....we sacrificed bulk of two years of draft capital to go up and get Julio, and significant FA capital was spent in those early years on offense as well (Michael turner, trade for Gonzo).

That’s how the team was built, building offense 1st around young QB Ryan. Defense pretty much was second fiddle during that time. Team was successful (56-22) for that 5 year stretch, but also explains why D never was elite. I think it was a tribute to coaching staff the D played as well as it did during that time, plus by and large they did hit on a few of players drafted on that side (Lofton, Spoon, Moore, Peters, et al).

To your point....Missing on Peria Jerry really hurt (imagine Clay Matthews paired with Abe). 

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Remember when we were all excited because Blank was bringing in a new HC who was a Defensive guru with a SB championship under his belt to pull our D up from the sewer to Top Five in the NFL? Good times. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Vandy said:

In 2011-12, the Julio trade greatly watered down what little draft value In defensive players picked in those two seasons. 

my point was all our Top 10 picks were on offense (Ryan, Julio, Matthews).....we sacrificed bulk of two years of draft capital to go up and get Julio, and significant FA capital was spent in those early years on offense as well (turner, trade for Gonzo).

That’s how the team was built, building offense around young QB Ryan. Defense pretty much was second fiddle during that time. Team was successful (56-22) for that 5 year stretch, but also explains why D never was elite. I think it was a tribute to coaching staff the D played as well as it did during that time, plus by and large they did hit on a few of players drafted on that side (Lofton, Spoon, Moore, Peters, et al).

Missing on Jerry hurt (imagine Clay Matthews paired with Abe). 

And, sadly hitting on Spoon and Moore got less in returns from the injuries. My point was we did draft for defense along the way early even though primarily building a juggernaut offense. Of course the Julio trade was an attempt to go all in while the roster got long in the tooth.

4 hours ago, Osiruz said:

Sad isn't it? Its mostly because of the pathetic pass rush. We've had some decent cover cbs but it doesn't matter if the DE's need to be driven into the QB. 

It’s not rocket science.....sack the QB. I get tired of hearing  “IF we had decent CBs we’d have a pass rush”.  Man we must’ve had some bad corners going back to  2007. Seriously 

9 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

It’s not rocket science.....sack the QB. I get tired of hearing  “IF we had decent CBs we’d have a pass rush”.  Man we must’ve had some bad corners going back to  2007. Seriously 

You may not like hearing it, but the secondary did it’s job and we had no problem sacking the QB during the 6-2 stretch.

Its not rocket science as you say.

All that said, you have to have at least an average rush or it won’t matter. Even the Rams have had terrible defenses despite having Donald.

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

You may not like hearing it, but the secondary did it’s job and we had no problem sacking the QB during the 6-2 stretch.

All that said, you have to have at least an average rush or it won’t matter. Even the Rams have had terrible defenses despite having Donald.

Yep things went much better in the second half including sacking the QB. The bottom line remains the same...for years and years the Falcon have lacked a consistent pass rush I don’t care who was coaching or playing corner. Needs to change!!!

10 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

10 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Yep things went much better in the second half including sacking the QB. The bottom line remains the same...for years and years the Falcon have lacked a consistent pass rush I don’t care who was coaching or playing corner. Needs to change!!!

1st half of season it was a combination of both....bad secondary play and pass rush (I would throw in bad LBer play as well).....which comes back to bad scheme with players playing confused and out of position .....which all comes back to bad coaching. 

Say what you want about Trufant, Allen, Debo, Kazee, Beasley, Grady, Takk et al....they aren’t bad players, yet overall looked like bad players during that 1-7 start. Same for 2018 as well.

Coaching matters.

10 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

That's the point he was making.  The pass rush didn't get better the second half of the season, the coverage did, which resulted in more sacks.

PFF Unit Grades

Weeks 1-8
Pass Rush: 67.2
Coverage: 50.6

Weeks 10-17
Pass Rush: 65.3
Coverage: 63.7

The team played from behind a lot in the first half of the season and from ahead more often in the back half.  This is one of the reasons there were more pass rush attempts in the back half of the year as well.  Because of this, it's also important to look at a sack/pressure rate number to get the full story.

Weeks 1-8
Pass Rush Snaps: 1,149
Sacks: 8
Sack Rate: 0.7%
Pressures: 97
Pressure Rate: 8.44%

Weeks 10-17
Pass Rush Snaps: 1,353
Sacks: 23
Sack Rate: 1.70%
Pressures: 140
Pressure Rate: 10.35%

Although pressure rate increased some, sack rate increased 250%, because with a better coverage unit those pressures were able to be turned into sacks because the pass rush had time to get to the QB.  It's why we saw Takk with a very high win rate with little sack numbers, he was hurt most of the back half of the year when then coverage improved.