Rams pushed hard to get the Falcons to trade for Gurley

1 minute ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Depends on the timing of it all. I'm curious of when that push started. Maybe I was just not in the wind, but I didn't expect Gurley to be released sayyyy mid season

Without knowing when, who knows. Could have been during the season. Could have been once the league year opened. Who knows. 

21 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Why trade for someone you know is likely going to hit the market

To secure the asset and not have to worry about being outbid.  But you are exactly right, and why this was refreshing to see.  You get the Troffed crowd who refuse to admit he makes any good moves or contracts and this is just another in a long line of solid decisions for him.  He has given out some bad contracts for sure, but no GM is gonna be 100%.  More importantly, he didn't take on that contract inherited from the Rams...

11 minutes ago, athell said:

To secure the asset and not have to worry about being outbid.  But you are exactly right, and why this was refreshing to see.  You get the Troffed crowd who refuse to admit he makes any good moves or contracts and this is just another in a long line of solid decisions for him.  He has given out some bad contracts for sure, but no GM is gonna be 100%.  More importantly, he didn't take on that contract inherited from the Rams...

Yeah I agree. Then to grab him at such a bargain is even more refreshing. 

2 hours ago, athell said:

If Dimi had enough cap space he probably would have traded a first rounder for him and taken on that big contract not long after giving Bustley $13M when he should have taken Gurley to begin with. Troffed.

4 hours ago, athell said:

That'll happen when your boss opens his mouth and removes all leverage by calling a player a "Falcon for life". Of course he's had guys like Edwards but AB hasn't helped.

On 8/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, athell said:

Fine points you make.  There is essentially no risk as it is a 1 year pact.  The only real downside I see is lack of opportunities to develop a younger replacement once Gurley is gone as he is a one-year rental as I see it.