Todd Gurley: A Film Breakdown of What REALLY Happened Last Year

Some pretty solid stuff here...and I could not agree more.  The TG injury has been drastically overblown.  He will have a solid year for us if used properly

Belichick’s use of 6-1 (goal line) defense all game from the SB ruined the Rams...lol.  Who would think to run goal line defense at mid field?

Come at me homers but 13:40 tells you exactly and I mean exactly what he will do in 2020. "Gurely was unable to overcome the personnel and schematic short comings"

Wont have anything to do with bad knees. It has everything to do with Dirk  freakin Keotter. 800 yards 5 TDs.

42 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Come at me homers but 13:40 tells you exactly and I mean exactly what he will do in 2020. "Gurely was unable to overcome the personnel and schematic short comings"

Wont have anything to do with bad knees. It has everything to do with Dirk  freakin Keotter. 800 yards 5 TDs.

I think our OL is significantly better than the Rams.  Koetter doesn’t care about wide zone and our WR’s & QB would eat up a 6-1 two high shell.  No way that defense works against us.  Belichick dared Goff to beat them, and he couldn’t.  Ryan could have and would have obliterated that defense

Patriots basically played goal line defense all game.  His goal was to 2 gap away cut back lanes on wide zone.  He would never do that against us cause Koetter would neutralize our run game without any help 

4 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Pull your face off NFL.COM/GURLEY/STATS and watch the dam film. He’s still a far better RB than anything we’ve had here in years. 

Agreed...the arthritis is a real thing, but Gurley is still just 25.  It doesn’t steal your agility/speed overnight.  By 30 Gurley will likely be done as a #1 RB, but that is a few years away

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If you watch the film from last year, his power, speed and explosiveness were still there.  There was just nowhere to run the football

That is rehash of previous material on this subject. I watched an almost identical video (this may be a repost?) earlier this year.

The video is valid, but it is also only sharing selected parts of the big picture. While nobody but Gurley and his doctors have all the facts, there is a strong general consensus that he has a degenerative condition in his knee. That take is not "overblown. It is documented. I really haven't heard anyone close to Gurley or the Rams dispute that take. The nature of a degenerative condition is not that it debilitates you over night, or that it will ever debilitate you, it is just that it is doing the opposite of getting better over time. Basically, I assume the net impact to him is just an accelerating of the aging process in that one joint. 

I see Gurley as 100% able to have a MVP game in any given week. I also think he is totally capable of having a game where you look back afterwards and say: "Hmm, he didn't look right." The big question is will he have more MVP games or more "hmm" games?  Every probability is that his physical performance in 2020 will be less than it was in 2019 over the entire season. That said, he could have a splash game or three. I don't think he's done, I just think he's past his prime. 

While you may think it is "overblown" to consider his injury, I think it is "hopeful" to overlook it. My heart shares your hope. My brain is raining on its parade. 

Additionally, if Gurley balls out of it he repeats last year, we are still going to need another RB to step up or it won't matter. He's not getting 30 reps a week. We are going to need a 1b at RB. 

6 minutes ago, falcndave said:

That is rehash of previous material on this subject. I watched an almost identical video (this may be a repost?) earlier this year.

The video is valid, but it is also only sharing selected parts of the big picture. While nobody but Gurley and his doctors have all the facts, there is a strong general consensus that he has a degenerative condition in his knee. That take is not "overblown. It is documented. I really haven't heard anyone close to Gurley or the Rams dispute that take. The nature of a degenerative condition is not that it debilitates you over night, or that it will ever debilitate you, it is just that it is doing the opposite of getting better over time. Basically, I assume the net impact to him is just an accelerating of the aging process in that one joint. 

I see Gurley as 100% able to have a MVP game in any given week. I also think he is totally capable of having a game where you look back afterwards and say: "Hmm, he didn't look right." The big question is will he have more MVP games or more "hmm" games?  Every probability is that his physical performance in 2020 will be less than it was in 2019 over the entire season. That said, he could have a splash game or three. I don't think he's done, I just think he's past his prime. 

While you may think it is "overblown" to consider his injury, I think it is "hopeful" to overlook it. My heart shares your hope. My brain is raining on its parade. 

Additionally, if Gurley balls out of it he repeats last year, we are still going to need another RB to step up or it won't matter. He's not getting 30 reps a week. We are going to need a 1b at RB. 

OP is saying the injury was overblown because Gurley had a down year and the perception is his knee. But the reality is the offense had been figured out and the O-line was terrible last year. Gurley might not be the 2018 version of himself. But he isn’t done, not even close 

13 minutes ago, falcndave said:

No doubt a highlight package on RB’s isn’t an ideal way to evaluate him overall.  But I was just looking specifically for burst/power/cutting.  The package shows that is still there.  Can he and should he get 25-28 touches a game?  No. That would be a poor use of him.  But 18-20 touches (15 rushes and 4 catches) would be nice

9 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I think our OL is significantly better than the Rams.  Koetter doesn’t care about wide zone and our WR’s & QB would eat up a 6-1 two high shell.  No way that defense works against us.  Belichick dared Goff to beat them, and he couldn’t.  Ryan could have and would have obliterated that defense

Patriots basically played goal line defense all game.  His goal was to 2 gap away cut back lanes on wide zone.  He would never do that against us cause Koetter would neutralize our run game without any help 

I wonder why SF was #2 in the league in rushing and even 141 yards in the SB. Thats sarcasm if you cant tell. The wide zone isn't limited to the Rams offenses.

To hammer the point home, Ill even reference the same youtube channel.  Where they clearly say Henry's dominance in the last 6 games of the year, came becuase the Titans switched to outside zone.

Keotter needs to care about wide zone. He needs to care about rollouts, bootlegs, crossing patterns. His horrific YAC offense with curls and stop routes took away our so called" QB and WR eat them up" duo. Add in that the trap and guard pulls from Keotters run play calling lead us to a woeful rushing attack.

Its not the wide zones fault and 6-1 shell didnt stop Kyle or the Titans. It only stopped Mcveys version. 

19 minutes ago, runshoot said:

I wonder why SF was #2 in the league in rushing and even 141 yards in the SB. Thats sarcasm if you cant tell. The wide zone isn't limited to the Rams offenses.

To hammer the point home, Ill even reference the same youtube channel.  Where they clearly say Henry's dominance in the last 6 games of the year, came becuase the Titans switched to outside zone.

Keotter needs to care about wide zone. He needs to care about rollouts, bootlegs, crossing patterns. His horrific YAC offense with curls and stop routes took away our so called" QB and WR eat them up" duo. Add in that the trap and guard pulls from Keotters run play calling lead us to a woeful rushing attack.

Its not the wide zones fault and 6-1 shell didnt stop Kyle or the Titans. It only stopped Mcveys version. 

McVay’s is different because he is always in 11 personnel. And the main point was Belichick dared Goff to exploit the 6-1 front and he couldn’t.  That allowed the Pats to completely neutralize the wide zone.  He would never dare Ryan to beat him...cause Ryan would

11 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I am on the same page as you. Let people stack the box, Julio, CR, Ginger Thor, and 12 gage will eat them up. Our O-line will be better this year barring anymore injuries. I think Gurley runs between 900-1100 yards has between 35-55 catches and above 10 tds on the ground. Gurley hasn’t lost a step, he was just on a bad team schematically.

i think Gurley has such a good season he’s back with us in 2021.

Edited by AxManBigFan
11 hours ago, UGABOZ said:

This is going to be a fun season. I have faith in the oline and Ryan again has all the weapons he needs to bring us along. What will our OC do is the big?

tenor.gif?itemid=13026377

I'm far more worried about the debilitated state existing between Koetter's ears than I am Gurley's arthritic knee.

all this does is make me wish we had Sean McVay for our head coach.   Imagine what an offensive mind could do with our personnel - you know, like a Shannahan - DOH!!!

We have enough personnel - heck even w/ the RBs we had last year, with a better run scheme we could have had a balanced offense.   Koetter just sucks at the run game scheme.

Why did Dan Quinn go from Shannahan to Sarkisian to Koetter?

When your specialty as a HC is on one side of the ball, you better have the other coordinator position nailed down with a talented playcaller and schemer.   Quinn was so good so early because he had that in Shannahan.  Koetter's track record just is awful for having a dynamic running game.    Matt Ryan is a very good QB and may have numbers to get into HOF but he is not a creator - he needs balance for the offense to by dynamic.   It's not likely to happen w/ Koetter.    I believe the running game is more about scheme than it is RB talent.    Look at Niners last year - does anyone really think Raheem Mostert is anything more than average?  he was a freaking special teamer.

Matt Ryan and Julio's end of their time last year and this year are being wasted on an OC that cannot run a balanced attack - when you aren't balanced, you are easier to defend.    Like the guy said at the end of the video above, he doesn't think Gurley is done and still a decent back - but mentions Koetter's poor scheme.   I think this guy nailed it.

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Why did Dan Quinn go from Shannahan to Sarkisian to Koetter?

When your specialty as a HC is on one side of the ball, you better have the other coordinator position nailed down with a talented playcaller and schemer.   Quinn was so good so early because he had that in Shannahan.  Koetter's track record just is awful for having a dynamic running game.    Matt Ryan is a very good QB and may have numbers to get into HOF but he is not a creator - he needs balance for the offense to by dynamic.   It's not likely to happen w/ Koetter.    I believe the running game is more about scheme than it is RB talent.    Look at Niners last year - does anyone really think Raheem Mostert is anything more than average?  he was a freaking special teamer.

Matt Ryan and Julio's end of their time last year and this year are being wasted on an OC that cannot run a balanced attack - when you aren't balanced, you are easier to defend.    Like the guy said at the end of the video above, he doesn't think Gurley is done and still a decent back - but mentions Koetter's poor scheme.   I think this guy nailed it.

Funny you bring this up cause I just posted this in another thread.  Quinn took Cowher’s approach with his 1st hire and then whiffed on his next two

Simms: I think I had it last year, before the draft. I said, ‘What’s more important?’ and you laughed, I said ‘Is it the quarterback or the coordinator?’ and you go, ‘You know, that’s a good question. I’ll have to think about that.’

Cowher: It’s the coordinator! I’m just telling you.

Simms: Yes! But nobody ever believes it or says it. We didn’t even say it last year, even though we talked about it and we never said it on the air. Don’t worry, Show One it’s coming.

Cowher: The coordinator can put you in the best position possible. The quarterback can be a great quarterback, but if you don’t give him a chance, then you know what? What good is it? If you don’t give him a chance to be successful, because, you know football is the ultimate chess match, it’s move-countermove. How much flexibility are you gonna give the guy? Can the guy get out of a bad play?… Giving him flexibility, giving him options can take away maybe that little thing that he doesn’t have that our guy does have. So what do you do? You play to his strengths, right? Hey, let’s talk about this sometime.

Simms: It’s so funny, we talked about it, and I wrote it down the day I thought of it. And I said ‘I’m gonna bring this up during the year.’ Every week, I keep notes I want to bring up… But we never brought it up.

Cowher: I said, when I first became a head coach, the most important hire I made was the offensive coordinator. Ron Erhardt. ‘Fargo’ was awesome. You know what he allowed me to do? He allowed me to coach defense. I know he wanted to run the ball and how he loved play action, and I go, ‘You’re good. We’re good. Let me take care of this side.’

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Funny you bring this up cause I just posted this in another thread.  Quinn took Cowher’s approach with his 1st hire and then whiffed on his next two

Simms: I think I had it last year, before the draft. I said, ‘What’s more important?’ and you laughed, I said ‘Is it the quarterback or the coordinator?’ and you go, ‘You know, that’s a good question. I’ll have to think about that.’

Cowher: It’s the coordinator! I’m just telling you.

Simms: Yes! But nobody ever believes it or says it. We didn’t even say it last year, even though we talked about it and we never said it on the air. Don’t worry, Show One it’s coming.

Cowher: The coordinator can put you in the best position possible. The quarterback can be a great quarterback, but if you don’t give him a chance, then you know what? What good is it? If you don’t give him a chance to be successful, because, you know football is the ultimate chess match, it’s move-countermove. How much flexibility are you gonna give the guy? Can the guy get out of a bad play?… Giving him flexibility, giving him options can take away maybe that little thing that he doesn’t have that our guy does have. So what do you do? You play to his strengths, right? Hey, let’s talk about this sometime.

Simms: It’s so funny, we talked about it, and I wrote it down the day I thought of it. And I said ‘I’m gonna bring this up during the year.’ Every week, I keep notes I want to bring up… But we never brought it up.

Cowher: I said, when I first became a head coach, the most important hire I made was the offensive coordinator. Ron Erhardt. ‘Fargo’ was awesome. You know what he allowed me to do? He allowed me to coach defense. I know he wanted to run the ball and how he loved play action, and I go, ‘You’re good. We’re good. Let me take care of this side.’

well ultimately if Koetter doesn't scheme up a balanced offense - and learn how to disguise his plays better,  Quinn gets blown out after the season or during.    You know what,  if that happens, I won't feel sorry for Quinn - I remember when he hired Shannahan Quinn was quoted as saying:

"I wanted to hire an offensive coordinator that I had experience trying to stop in the league - we had all kinds of problems stopping Shannahan's offense".

Shannahan (and Devaney) are famous for making run plays look like pass plays and pass plays look like run plays, etc - this is what makes it tough on a defense.    Koetter doesn't seem to believe in this - that's why you get good opposing DCs and Linebackers calling out formations and the play coming before it starts - makes it super tough on a QB and an offense.