Jump to content

What To Make Of Our 1st Round Hoarding


Recommended Posts

I mean, it’s common knowledge that we have a lot of former 1st round selections on our roster.  But I’m not sure what to make of this...this offseason we added to the list:

• Fowler

• Hurst

• Gurley

• Treadwell

• Harris

• Bucannon

• Dennard

 

The average team has 2.8 first rounders on offense and 3.1 on defense.  We are rolling into camp with 19 and counting.  In the history of football no team comes close. Just a very strange situation...can’t say we don’t have talent

 

“From 2015 to 2019, teams averaged just 2.8 first-round starters on offense and 3.1 on defense, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com. Only one team in the period had as many as seven first-round primary starters on offense: last year’s Falcons. The most on either side of the ball was the eight starters on the 2015 Texans defense.”

salfino-FALCONS-0414-1.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't think they even thought about it.... Just went after guys they liked in the draft once up on a time

I mean 6 of those 1st round picks on offense we drafted. That's a pretty good job on drafting and then retaining talent. 

This is kinda a Bill Walsh thing. This is partly how he built the 80’s niners. Cast away top rounders and injured players along with his scheme specific drafting. It works guys. BB does the same thing

12 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I mean, it’s common knowledge that we have a lot of former 1st round selections on our roster.  But I’m not sure what to make of this...this offseason we added to the list:

• Fowler

• Hurst

• Gurley

• Treadwell

• Harris

• Bucannon

• Dennard

 

The average team has 2.8 first rounders on offense and 3.1 on defense.  We are rolling into camp with 19 and counting.  In the history of football no team comes close. Just a very strange situation...can’t say we don’t have talent

 

“From 2015 to 2019, teams averaged just 2.8 first-round starters on offense and 3.1 on defense, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com. Only one team in the period had as many as seven first-round primary starters on offense: last year’s Falcons. The most on either side of the ball was the eight starters on the 2015 Texans defense.”

salfino-FALCONS-0414-1.png

 

 

Some of those 19 players haven’t done much lately and others flat out suck .

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the FO accidentally rebuilt the team.

I see 3 possibilities.  First, these players were carefully analyzed and the reasons for their declines were understood.  Further, the Falcons have confidence we can put them in situations where they can live up to their potential.  I think this is true with Gurley and Hurst.  Second, we were dumbfounded regarding what to do and specifically went after former first rounders.  Third, it was a little of both.

If we get good production from half of these players, maybe even good production from a third of these players, we will have a strong team.  Now, what can we do about Dirk?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

I think the FO accidentally rebuilt the team.

I see 3 possibilities.  First, these players were carefully analyzed and the reasons for their declines were understood.  Further, the Falcons have confidence we can put them in situations where they can live up to their potential.  I think this is true with Gurley and Hurst.  Second, we were dumbfounded regarding what to do and specifically went after former first rounders.  Third, it was a little of both.

If we get good production from half of these players, maybe even good production from a third of these players, we will have a strong team.  Now, what can we do about Dirk?

Let him run his offense instead of trying to run his mixed with two other OC's

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Atlanta Falcons (@AtlantaFalcons) Tweeted:
This is the first time that we've encountered a species like this. https://t.co/6in6KaPBEw
 

Not sure how I feel about this...lol

This would have been perfect if the glow from the egg was red.

Image

The only thing that really matters regarding the talent haul is whether the players we accumulated are better than those they replaced. I care less that they all play like first rounders than I do that they make the blocks, tackles and catches that the departed players missed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Let him run his offense instead of trying to run his mixed with two other OC's

So, tell us how Dirk was limited during his previous tenure with the Jags, Falcons and as HC of the Bucs? 

Maurice Jones Drew made the Jags a powerful offense.  The Falcons and the Bucs declined under his watch.  Where was the interference then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

So, tell us how Dirk was limited during his previous tenure with the Jags, Falcons and as HC of the Bucs? 

Maurice Jones Drew made the Jags a powerful offense.  The Falcons and the Bucs declined under his watch.  Where was the interference then?

Bad personell, especially QB.

Even then his yards are top 5, atleast usually top 10. They just turn it over often. 

Plus the defense is *** so that hurts them too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

This would have been perfect if the glow from the egg was red.

Image

The only thing that really matters regarding the talent haul is whether the players we accumulated are better than those they replaced. I care less that they all play like first rounders than I do that they make the blocks, tackles and catches that the departed players missed.

I agree with you. How bad does the talent want if for themselves and each other? How well coached are they? 

I will be impressed if that talent executes at a high level and plays as a team. If that happens....special things...many special things. I suppose COVID and injuries may be the biggest wildcards in the equation if the Falcons are able to put all that horsepower to the pavement. 

Anyone who doubts the potential upside should go back and watch the SF game from last season. There was nothing fluky going on there. The Falcons stood toe to toe with a well coach, talented, team that needed a win and punched them in the face straight up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Bad personell, especially QB.

Even then his yards are top 5, atleast usually top 10. They just turn it over often. 

Plus the defense is *** so that hurts them too.

Uhhhh no.  It was bad personnel in the past and interference now, right?  Think about it.  Any OC coming to Atlanta would transition the offense, not just come in and overturn everything.  You have to put in a playbook and offensive gameplan that is suited for the players you have.  That is why the Falcons do not immediately look like the Bucs.  My problem with Dirk is he does not seem to have the ability gameplan against defenses or create an offensive strategy that utilizes the strengths of our offense.  Add to this some of his headscratching play calls and I have to wonder if he can ever be highly successful. 

No, it is not other coaches messing him up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NaGaBoy said:

Uhhhh no.  It was bad personnel in the past and interference now, right?  Think about it.  Any OC coming to Atlanta would transition the offense, not just come in and overturn everything.  You have to put in a playbook and offensive gameplan that is suited for the players you have.  That is why the Falcons do not immediately look like the Bucs.  My problem with Dirk is he does not seem to have the ability gameplan against defenses or create an offensive strategy that utilizes the strengths of our offense.  Add to this some of his headscratching play calls and I have to wonder if he can ever be highly successful. 

No, it is not other coaches messing him up.

Kyle molded the offense to his scheme. 

We've been a different O under every OC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Kyle molded the offense to his scheme. 

We've been a different O under every OC.

Kyle made the offense work by putting players in positions of strength.  Taylor Gabriel is a good example.  Kyles greatest strength is analyzing defenses week-to-week and creative an offensive strategy and gameplan that puts that defense at a disadvantage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

Kyle made the offense work by putting players in positions of strength.  Taylor Gabriel is a good example.  Kyles greatest strength is analyzing defenses week-to-week and creative an offensive strategy and gameplan that puts that defense at a disadvantage. 

It is but he still ran his offense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I agree with you. How bad does the talent want if for themselves and each other? How well coached are they? 

I will be impressed if that talent executes at a high level and plays as a team. If that happens....special things...many special things. I suppose COVID and injuries may be the biggest wildcards in the equation if the Falcons are able to put all that horsepower to the pavement. 

Anyone who doubts the potential upside should go back and watch the SF game from last season. There was nothing fluky going on there. The Falcons stood toe to toe with a well coach, talented, team that needed a win and punched them in the face straight up. 

That remains the only game from last season that I watched in its entirety when replayed on NFL Network. Well, that and the Tampax Bay game in Raymond James, which was kind of a dog except for Debo's walkoff home run. But the San Francisco and New Orleans wins are the exact reason why I'm more excited by this team's potential than I am worried about its potential shortcomings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Let him run his offense instead of trying to run his mixed with two other OC's

No. He needs to get rid of his 7 step long developing plays. They do not work with our Online. Teams see them coming everytime. It wasn't untill the second half of the season where Dirk quit doing it and our offense just looked better. Facts

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to stir the pot. 

But what I make of it is, Dimitroff is doing this so he can make the case, when 2020 is a down year, he will point to the roster and say "Arthur, I gave DQ so much 1st round talent, and coach still failed, so this isn't on me". Thats my knee jerk reaction to all this former 1st rounder stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Shaggy 2.0 said:

No. He needs to get rid of his 7 step long developing plays. They do not work with our Online. Teams see them coming everytime. It wasn't untill the second half of the season where Dirk quit doing it and our offense just looked better. Facts

A well balanced offense should be the goal of every OC.  Unfortunately Koetter has struggled to do so during his time in ATL

 

Passing Rates in Neutral Game Script

One of the first questions asked about play-callers in the NFL is whether they favor the pass or the run. While this question is often well-intentioned, the answer can be deceptive if game script isn’t taken into account. Consider the 2019 Chiefs—Kansas City threw 62.5% of the time last year, the 11th-highest rate in the NFL. If we consider neutral game script (when the game is within 7 points), the Chiefs' 66.4% pass rate was the highest rate in the league.

By looking at neutral play splits, we can get an idea of how a play-caller truly wants to run their offense.

Playcaller's Passing Rates in Neutral Game Script (Ranking), 2006–2019

 

neutral_2.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaggy 2.0 said:

No. He needs to get rid of his 7 step long developing plays. They do not work with our Online. Teams see them coming everytime. It wasn't untill the second half of the season where Dirk quit doing it and our offense just looked better. Facts

Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...