August 2020 Recruiting Thread

Ransack

* For months, Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins (Gaffney (S.C.)) had UNC's pledges convinced that he would join them on the commitment list once he visited Chapel Hill. Well, per a source, those pledges now expect Ingram-Dawkins to select Georgia at some point. Ingram-Dawkins hasn't told any of them directly that UGa will be his selection, but "everything that he says and does points toward that direction," the source said.

On 8/25/2020 at 6:13 PM, SacFalcFan said:

* For months, Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins (Gaffney (S.C.)) had UNC's pledges convinced that he would join them on the commitment list once he visited Chapel Hill. Well, per a source, those pledges now expect Ingram-Dawkins to select Georgia at some point. Ingram-Dawkins hasn't told any of them directly that UGa will be his selection, but "everything that he says and does points toward that direction," the source said.

I hope so.  Dude reminds me of another Sakerlina native that worked out well for the Dawgs.  Richard Seymour

The dead period has gone on for six straight months but that has not kept top prospects from making the trip to Athens to check out Georgia's campus on their own. Last weekend saw Bogart (Ga.) Prince Avenue Christian five-star quarterback Brock Vandagriff play host to Cochran (Ga.) Bleckley County five-star offensive tackle Amarius Mims, Houma (La.) Terrebonne five-star defensive tackle Maason Smith, Georgia running back commitment Lovasea Carroll, Niceville (Fla.) IMG Academy Top 100 linebacker Xavian Sorey, Corona (Calif.) Centennial five-star Korey Foreman, and Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul Catholic II four-star safety Terrion Arnold.

On this week's Wiltfong Whiparound, 247Sports National Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong broke down the big recruiting weekend for Georgia.

"So let's start there, with Georgia, who has finished with the number one recruiting class in the country two of the last three years," Wiltfong said. "They've been in the top three, four straight years so we know a run from Kirby Smart and company is coming. I think that they're gonna have a good shot at several of these guys that were there this weekend."

Wiltfong then breaks down the latest on Foreman, the nation's No. 1 overall prospect.

"I know I said on the Whiparound a month ago or so that I really liked where LSU was at," Wiltfong said. "Georgia being the other school that you can never sleep on and we talked about on this show him being in group text with Kirby Smart and some of the Georgia commits and what a good job Kirby Smart is doing in this recruitment for Georgia. Definitely a major player - one person spent some time with Korey this weekend thought Georgia or USC for him. LSU, obviously still pushing.

"I don't think that I don't feel as good about LSU as I did a month ago. Not saying that they're not in it but I do feel like Georgia is captivating in his recruitment."

Speaking of LSU, it appears Georgia is going to make the Tigers work for the No. 1 prospect in Louisiana after LSU signed the No. 1 prospect in Georgia last cycle in tight end Arik Gilbert.

"Maason Smith has always been a back and forth between LSU and Georgia," Wiltfong said. "Georgia led early in the spring. I think when Bo Pelini came in, his scheme on defense is more exciting to Mason Smith and the position he plays and some of the guys that Coach Pelini his coast like Ndamukong Suh. I think those types of guys, Masson Smith, see that kind of potential. I still like LSU in that recruitment, but Georgia is certainly the other school there. Wouldn't be surprised if Georgia landed both of those five stars."

A pair of Sunshine State targets could be trending away from the Crimson Tide and forming a package deal to one of two rival programs.

"Xavian Sorey was a guy that early in the process, a lot of people thought favored Alabama," Wiltfong said. "I think that Georgia and Florida are the two teams to watch for him - and Terrian Arnold. I think Terrion Arnold and Xavian Sorey are going to play college football together. I have an early Crystal Ball forecast on Alabama. I don't feel as good about that. I can really see Georgia landing him. There are several others - Florida, Texas A&M, a whole boatload of schools pushing for Terrian Arnold. He is also a basketball standout and plans to play both on the next level."

Finally, Wiltfong discusses the top prospect in Georgia.

"Then Amarius Mims - at one point people thought Georgia or Alabama now it is Georgia or Tennessee right now, Wiltfong said. "I think this is an opportunity, another opportunity for him to get around guys like Lovasea Carroll, the runningback commit, who was there from IMG Academy and Brock Vandergrift again. I still like my Crystal Ball for Georgia, Tennessee being the other for five-star offensive tackle Amarius Mims. Tennessee has done a really great job with Mims as well."

With Georgia well-positioned with the aforementioned elite prospects, the Dawgs have a chance to make a strong rise in the 247Sports Team Class Rankings by the end of the 2021 cycle.

"Georgia, you know they are going to be there," Wiltfong said. "When you look at their average ranking per commit, they are in that 4-6 range, overall national they have the fewest number of commits of all the contenders. Ton of upside for Kirby Smart and this Georgia class. You knew they were going to make a run. I could not pinpoint which prospects it was going to be a couple of months ago, but you knew they were going to have one. They just landed Brock Bowers not too long ago and I really think Georgia is coming."

Greg Biggins
STAFF
Posted on 43 mins, , User Since 231 months ago, User Post Count: 52,812
43 mins
231 months
The more I thought about it, it just made sense to go ahead and switch my CB now for the Dogs. I like where they're positioned and the fact that he might not be able to take any more 'official visits' with the dead period continuing to be extended before he signs in December also I think helps Georgia. He could take a few unofficial trips obviously but I don't think those are as impactful and I think a school will really need to wow him to overtake where Georgia currently is.