Next Gen has an interesting stat on Ridley.  In 2019 he led the NFL in Average Cushion at the snap.  He was given an eye popping 7.3 yards of cushion, on average, each snap.  Would really love to see Koetter exploit this by getting Ridley some quick slants etc....seems like an easy way to get free yardage and force the DB’s closer to the LOS.  Then hit em over the top

51 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Next Gen has an interesting stat on Ridley.  In 2019 he led the NFL in Average Cushion at the snap.  He was given an eye popping 7.3 yards of cushion, on average, each snap.  Would really love to see Koetter exploit this by getting Ridley some quick slants etc....seems like an easy way to get free yardage and force the DB’s closer to the LOS.  Then hit em over the top

Falconsin2012, Koetter is going to need more information.

Dirk Koetter,

Cushion means the defender is playing off because of Ridley's speed.  There are multiple ways to take advantage of that.

1.  You can run short routes to make quick, short gains with Calvin.

2.  You can run the RB with the ball to the spot where Calvin lined up.  There should be space there. (Yes, you can run the ball).

3.  You can run medium routes by letting Calvin make multiple cuts until the defender is blindsided and unsure of where he is.

4.  You can run long routes and get big yards following steps 1 and 2 a few times.  Even with the cushion, the defender will become hesitant or even commit to a short or medium route when he has been disadvantaged with this a few times.  That is when you send Calvin on a tear.

5.  You can try the above and adjust your gameplan.

Gameplan:  A sequence of plays based on a stretegy believed to take advantage of a particular defense.  These plays and their sequence are selected to either surprise a defense or to take advantage of weaknesses in their alignments, assignments, or ability to defend a player or area of the field.

I am not trying to get banned.  There is just something about Dirk that makes me a little crazy.  OK, maybe more than a little.  I apologize.  Go Falcons.

Edited by NaGaBoy
4 hours ago, SPITFIRE said:

7.3 yards off the ball is average and you would be throwing the ball to the apex defender for a easy pick 6. 

It's actually 7.4 and only 4 wr's had 7 or more yards of cushion.  Going off the actual list I'd say the average is closer to 6 or high 5's.

Not with this coverage,  that line backer will absolutely destroy ridely if he runs a slant and if he does not the safety will. They are in a split field coverage with the boundary side playing what looks like clamp and the field side playing match quarters. That Apex defender reads hi hat  he will immediately start getting wide with freeman, towards the flat, the safety is in a flat read and the corner is in mod. That is not a lot of space at all and will end in 2 ways, ridely getting destroyed or a pick 6.  Most NFL teams use some form of triangle coverage. 

clip2.jpg

14 minutes ago, athell said:

You know how averages work, yes?

1 play does not an average make lol

I know how averages work, however when presented with the situation that the OP mentioned which is that is a db is +7 off the line that the quick slant is automatically  open well that is just not true. Its more nuanced than this thread implies. 

6 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

I know how averages work, however when presented with the situation that the OP mentioned which is that is a db is +7 off the line that the quick slant is automatically  open well that is just not true. Its more nuanced than this thread implies. 

I see.  My bad, as you were!  lol

19 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

That's a nice little stat and everything but I'm more excited about the yards of separation when the ball is caught, which Ridley ranked 5th in the NFL.  I'm sure the whole starting off with 7 yards of separation before the ball is snapped has a lot to do with that though.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:16 PM, red falcon said:

Hes got the ability to beat anyone in single coverage  I believe.  As long as matt isnt throwing him into traffic then fine. I'm not sure his body can hold up. Maybe let him work from the slot some.

have you seen the new Ridley?? He is NOT the same kid as last season...looks more like Sanu now then 2019 Ridley

On 7/31/2020 at 11:26 PM, SPITFIRE said:

You’ll notice I said quick slants, etc....meaning quick slant is just one of several quick hitting options with a 7.4 yard cushion.  McDaniels uses Edelman like that all the time as an extension of the run game

6 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

You’ll notice I said quick slants, etc....meaning quick slant is just one of several quick hitting options with a 7.4 yard cushion.  McDaniels uses Edelman like that all the time as an extension of the run game

dude, don't waste your time with a relative newbie who feels he needs to prove something. You post an article about a 7.4 yard average, and dude goes out and searches for a play, one of many I'm sure, that WASN'T that much cushion, to try to sound like he's the smartest dude here. He needs to go search some PMF threads and he'll quickly learn he's as amateur as most of the rest of us  ;)