Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unknøwn

Mets @ Braves

24 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Just heard it on the Phillies broadcast that it's been confirmed. Soroka has a torn achilles.

i can see us watching the Robbie Ray, Mike Clevinger and Michael Boyd markets.  Those teams make a nose dive then we might make a move.  

I want to see Ian Anderson, Patrick Weigel and Kyle Mueller.

I know it's a different sport but I'd love it if Dan Marino talked to Soroka about how to rehab and come back from an achilles injury. I don't recall any pitchers that have come back from that injury in recent memory. The most important thing is for him not to rush back. He needs to take it slow and make sure he's 110% when he steps back on the mound. Don't need him trying to rush back and having any setbacks. There's some similarities in throwing a baseball and a football as far as having your base and having to trust yourself that when you step it's not gonna blow again. That is where I think Dan could help Soroka.

50 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I know it's a different sport but I'd love it if Dan Marino talked to Soroka about how to rehab and come back from an achilles injury. I don't recall any pitchers that have come back from that injury in recent memory. The most important thing is for him not to rush back. He needs to take it slow and make sure he's 110% when he steps back on the mound. Don't need him trying to rush back and having any setbacks. There's some similarities in throwing a baseball and a football as far as having your base and having to trust yourself that when you step it's not gonna blow again. That is where I think Dan could help Soroka.

He should also talk with Dominique Wilkins.  Nique was one of a very small few who returned to form in the NBA.

Coukd also look to Zack Britton for encouragement 

We'll see what AA can do because you know he's burning up the phone lines. Internally he can promote Wilson, Anderson, Chacin, Folty or Davidson. The few teams that are off to bad starts don't really have that great of options. Lance Lynn might be worth checking in on if the Rangers are willing to listen. KC would probably listen on Danny Duffy. 

5 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Zach Britton tore his achilles working out at home in December of 2017. He missed 6 months. His debut was in mid June. Soroka obviously needs longer to stretch out so my money is on May 2021.

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

We'll see what AA can do because you know he's burning up the phone lines. Internally he can promote Wilson, Anderson, Chacin, Folty or Davidson. The few teams that are off to bad starts don't really have that great of options. Lance Lynn might be worth checking in on if the Rangers are willing to listen. KC would probably listen on Danny Duffy. 

Duffy would be nice

29 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

Duffy would be nice

His stuff has improved this year and he's got a lot of playoff experience from KC's playoff runs a few years ago. I'd probably check in on Taijuan Walker in Seattle too.  I doubt anyone is parting with an impact pitcher, we just need serviceable guys at this point and that's probably the best out there. Not a good year to be trading.

7 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Quick! Call about Julio Teheran!!!

Honestly I would be ok with that. At least you know what Julio is going to give you every 5th day. I think we'd all pay $3M for a guy to come in and give you a 3.80 ERA right now.

5 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Zach Britton tore his achilles working out at home in December of 2017. He missed 6 months. His debut was in mid June. Soroka obviously needs longer to stretch out so my money is on May 2021.

Adam Wainwright too. He came back in like 5 months.

Anthopolous said he will not put a timetable on Soroka out of fairness to him. They'll just see where he is in a few months. He said he's been on the phone with other teams about SPs since camps opened in July. AA said hes not optimistic hes close to anything. He did say they're assuming the season will go through October and will make moves based on that assumption. Braves will stay internal for the next start and see what they can get done after that. I personally expect Bryse Wilson to be the man next time. Adjust accordingly after that.

26 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

It looks like Britton's was his right (push off) achilles while Wainwright's was his left achilles. Both righties.   Much harder to come back from the right one as a right-hander since so much force is placed on the achilles when pushing off to deliver the pitch.  

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

5 months from now is January which is honestly a lot sooner than I would have thought. But it's encouraging that pitchers have had success with this type of injury

I would bet we use caution on him though. I saw 6-8 months was the expected time for a pitcher and 8 months would be April. I think late April/early May is probably the right bet for when he will be pitching for the big league team again.

This reminds me of our center fielder tearing his ACL in a meaningless Spring Training game against the Mets. His name was Larry Jones. He missed the strike year.

Hopefully, Soroka is similarly undeterred. I'm freaked out because the two of the most recent young guys who showed potential for us, Jair Jurrjens and Kris Medlen, got hurt and had their careers fall off the table. I guess I could throw in Mike Minor and (the tragically no longer with us) Tommy Hanson, too.

Soroka looks like a Hall of Fame talent. So, this is an extremely upsetting turn of events.

3 hours ago, 007dawg said:

It looks like Britton's was his right (push off) achilles while Wainwright's was his left achilles. Both righties.   Much harder to come back from the right one as a right-hander since so much force is placed on the achilles when pushing off to deliver the pitch.  

Jim and Joe on the radio last night said the opposite. They said that they thought it was better that it was the pushoff foot and not the landing foot.

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Everyone is different and obviously Soroka is still very young. Best case scenario is still probably mid April but I'm thinking early May.

The biggest thing is not rushing him back. We don't need him to have any setbacks. If that means he doesn't pitch until May or June next year then so be it.

14 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The biggest thing is not rushing him back. We don't need him to have any setbacks. If that means he doesn't pitch until May or June next year then so be it.

I think thats why AA isn't giving a timetable. He doesn't want to put pressure on Soroka to be ready by whatever day.

13 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Obviously I've been looking at Achillies injuries for pitchers. The common thing about them seems to be a very wide variance in outcomes, largely probably due to genetics. I saw a statistic that only about 63% of MLB Achillies injuries are able to come back. Most that due come back face an adjustment period, especially pitchers. They may physically be able to pitch, but they have to rebuild strength in the leg. In the interim, they can screw up their mechanics, and that's what generally causes the failures -- something else breaks.

It's a pretty terrible injury for a pitcher, and I hate it so much for Soroka. The dude's not just an extremely talented guy, but just one of the more genuine and likable people in the organization.