Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unknøwn

Mets @ Braves

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

It was a strike. Here's the pitch chart from Acuna's first AB. Acuna on a couple of his walks has been lucky not to get rung up.

Acuna.png

Homerun Acuna!

57 minutes ago, dmite said:

I was very underwhelmed by the Ozuna signing, wasn’t too excited.  I’m really loving the addition now, he’s been great so far. 

Honestly his last season was an anomaly over his last 4 seasons:

2016: .266/.321/.452 w/ 23 HRs and 76 RBIs in 148 G
2017: .312/.376/.548 w/ 37 HRs and 124 RBIs in 159 G
2018: .280/.325/.433 w/ 23 HRs and 88 RBIs in 148 G
2019: .241/.328/.472 w/ 29 HRs and 89 RBIs in 130 G

With the DH likely coming to stay, he wouldn't block Pache or Waters and could still play almost every day. I wouldn't be upset if we found a way to sign him long term now 

Pretty much if we can find one more SP, I love where we stand. We have a very good lineup (only going to get better if Markakis comes back, because let's face it: Markakis>Ender), a good bench, a very good BP, and 2 very good starters. If we can find that 3rd SP, we are going to be scary come the playoffs. Whether that's Hamels, Wright, Touki, or someone else, we need a 3rd dependable guy 

52 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Pretty much if we can find one more SP, I love where we stand. We have a very good lineup (only going to get better if Markakis comes back, because let's face it: Markakis>Ender), a good bench, a very good BP, and 2 very good starters. If we can find that 3rd SP, we are going to be scary come the playoffs. Whether that's Hamels, Wright, Touki, or someone else, we need a 3rd dependable guy 

Ender>Markakis defensively.

32 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Ender>Markakis defensively.

That's true, but his bat is just awful. It takes him too long to heat up and we don't have that luxury this season. 

Ender is a guy who's batting average does not really tell the story IMO.

He has had a lot of good swings where he just missed  and has some really good at bats where he has worked deep counts.

Hopefully the second half Ender shows up  sooner rather than later

2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

That's true, but his bat is just awful. It takes him too long to heat up and we don't have that luxury this season. 

I'm more worried about 3B at this point. Neither Camargo or Riley are hitting right now and we really don't have any other options there. Camargo and Riley have combined for only 5 hits in 41 at-bats with 1 HR and 3 RBI. At least Ender has gotten on base some thanks to 5 walks. Only Freddie and Ozuna have walked more. Ender also has 4 RBI. Ender has also kept his strikeouts down. He's only struck out 5 times compared to a combined 13 strikeouts between Camargo and Riley.

I will say that Riley's ABs for the most part are competitive. Using advanced statistics, Riley is showing much improved plate discipline this year. He's only swung at 27.8% of pitches outside of the strike zone this year. That's down from 37.7% last year. He's also hitting the ball harder this year than he did last year. His exit velocity this year is 90.4 mph compared to 89.4 mph last year. Riley's issue is that he's not hitting enough balls hard. Only 25% of the balls he's hit this year have been hard hit balls and he has only 1 barrell this year (the HR in New York). His other stats (strikeout rate and walk rate) are improved over last year. Based on these advanced stats, I feel good that Riley is soon going to start hitting and having some good luck. His luck can't get any worse. His BABIP is only .067. League average is like .300.

Now, I said all that to say, that you are right, Ender is awful with the bat. His exit velocity this year is a pathetic 78.6 mph. That's just so bad I have no words. League average is 88.2 mph. That's down from Ender's career mark of 84.4 mph. It's amazing how weak he hits the ball. But Ender has done a great job of working counts this year. He's only chased 21.7% of pitches outside the strike zone. Hence the 5 walks. His BB% of 20.8 would shatter his previous career high of 11.3 from last year.

Since I was looking at those avanced numbers I decided to look at Marcell Ozuna's and his numbers are absolutely off the chart. His exit velocity is 95.2 mph and he's doing it while chasing only 20% of pitches outside the zone. His hard hit percentage is 60%. In other words, he's pulling off video game type stuff right now. Let's hope he keeps this up!!

7 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Since I was looking at those avanced numbers I decided to look at Marcell Ozuna's and his numbers are absolutely off the chart. His exit velocity is 95.2 mph and he's doing it while chasing only 20% of pitches outside the zone. His hard hit percentage is 60%. In other words, he's pulling off video game type stuff right now. Let's hope he keeps this up!!

Based on the metrics, Ozuna was the unluckiest hitter in the majors last year. This is why the Braves jumped on him when Donaldson went elsewhere. The chance of a comeback was very good.