11 hours ago, vel said:

Better runners? Yes. The issue is Koetter vs Kyle. Coleman is not that good of a RB. Terrible vision and play through contact. But he's a monster in space and Kyle got him in space as much as he could. Koetter is an idiot. Gurley and Co are going to have to overcome Koetter's stupidity every snap. 

Came here to say what vel already has said above. System and usage matters.

Blogging Dirty clear lack of football knowledge is the reason I no longer follow them on twitter. 

11 hours ago, vel said:

Better runners? Yes. The issue is Koetter vs Kyle. Coleman is not that good of a RB. Terrible vision and play through contact. But he's a monster in space and Kyle got him in space as much as he could. Koetter is an idiot. Gurley and Co are going to have to overcome Koetter's stupidity every snap. 

Amen, Brother!

13 hours ago, vel said:

I'll just submit this, vel.  2016 seems like a long long time ago by now and there is a ton of recency bias but 2016 (and to a lesser degree 2015) Freeman was an outstanding runner of the football.  If you are comparing 2016 Freeman to 2020 Gurley, I know who I am taking hands down every single time.  2016 Freeman.  

You are correct on Tevin, he didn't have the best vision, balance or broken tackle ability but if we do the same exercise...if you give me 2016 Teco or 2020 Ito?  2016 Teco every single time.

It was a magical year for sure, but that 2016 pairing was incredible both by scheme and talent.  Those guys were absolute monsters that year and I just think people forget just how good they were.

43 minutes ago, athell said:

I'll just submit this, vel.  2016 seems like a long long time ago by now and there is a ton of recency bias but 2016 (and to a lesser degree 2015) Freeman was an outstanding runner of the football.  If you are comparing 2016 Freeman to 2020 Gurley, I know who I am taking hands down every single time.  2016 Freeman.  

You are correct on Tevin, he didn't have the best vision, balance or broken tackle ability but if we do the same exercise...if you give me 2016 Teco or 2020 Ito?  2016 Teco every single time.

It was a magical year for sure, but that 2016 pairing was incredible both by scheme and talent.  Those guys were absolute monsters that year and I just think people forget just how good they were.

Oh definitely. Not downplaying Freeman at all. But it's more Kyle vs Koetter for me. Gurley in that 2016 offense would have broken records. Teco has been mid since Kyle left, which is no coincidence. Kyle was the massive part of the engine of that running game. 

9 minutes ago, vel said:

Oh definitely. Not downplaying Freeman at all. But it's more Kyle vs Koetter for me. Gurley in that 2016 offense would have broken records. Teco has been mid since Kyle left, which is no coincidence. Kyle was the massive part of the engine of that running game. 

Gotcha.  Agreed.

Are we all assuming Gurley's knee is 100%?  I loved him at Georgia and I am glad we have him but I don't think we should be pounding through the middle with him every play.  Get him some space and a little toss and try to limit the physical impact he has to take.  Work smarter, not harder comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Oldmanfan said:

Are we all assuming Gurley's knee is 100%?  I loved him at Georgia and I am glad we have him but I don't think we should be pounding through the middle with him every play.  Get him some space and a little toss and try to limit the physical impact he has to take.  Work smarter, not harder comes to mind.

I can understand why you'd say this, but to my knowledge Gurley's injury concerns are not related to contact, but rather something like early onset severe arthritis in the knee. So even running a bunch of plays to get him in space, he's still gotta stick a foot in the turf, plant, cut, push off to accelerate, etc. All of those movements cause a lot of stress on the joints and bones, and for a dude with his condition, that may be more of a potential issue than the contact would be.

Think about it like Jamal Anderson's ACL injuries. It wasn't contact that did him in, and if I'm not mistaken, he was actually in relatively open field both times he suffered a torn ACL. I feel like in both instances, Jam was simply making a cut and that did it.

Now if we were talking about someone like Free or Coleman, both of whom have had a number of concussions dating back to their college days, avoiding contact would be a good measure. I'm just not sure how much of a difference that would actually make for Gurley though. Then consider that last year it felt like one of the only running plays Koetter dialed up regularly were those toss sweeps that almost always got blown up at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Personally, I agree that you gotta play smart, but I also think you can't play scared. So let Gurley be Gurley, and if the knee doesn't allow him to do that anymore, next man up.