Jump to content

What is a contract mean in today's NFL?


Is it okay to publicly demand a trade?   

7 members have voted

  1. 1. Is it okay to publicly demand a trade?

    • Yes
      6
    • No
      2


Recommended Posts

Apologies mods if this is not the right place for this discussion.

But I've gotta ask the board's opinion on something that's been bothering me for some time and it has to do with star players' contracts. This Jamal Adams situation just brought it to the fore and the league needs to address this quickly in my opinion. 

When did it become OK to just be 'publicly unhappy' with the contract you signed and want a new one or else you're not going to play? This player demanding trade situation needs to be stopped immediately. Honestly, any team that trades for a player that makes public declarations should automatically lose a future 1st round pick in addition to any trade consideration. 

Wanting to renegotiate an existing contract also ruffles my feathers, but to a much lesser degree... How does a GM build stability in this era? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

 

Wanting to renegotiate an existing contract also ruffles my feathers, but to a much lesser degree... How does a GM build stability in this era? 

In Jets situation, change the culture and win. Who wants to stay with a losing organization? 
 

I don’t think it was just about money, as his big payday was coming sooner or later. I think it was more about the jets management and HC. After awhile, we all would want out of there as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@octoslash @ramonezy

Adam's wouldn't want a trade if they could win.

Adam's wouldn't want a trade if they weren't already shopping him, he found out they wanted to trade him before and now he said **** it do it. 

Adam's wouldn't want a trade if they would talk to him in the off season instead of "we will talk contract extension in the offseason" and then not contacting him or his agent.

The list goes on. Owners aren't the sweet little angels you wanna make them out to be. Idk why yall wanna love up on them so much. 

Edit:

And another thing. Why is it ok for owners to cut players whenever but it's so **** bad for a player to want a better contract? Want more guaranteed money? Want safety? Want anything that God forbid benefits the **** player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

@octoslash @ramonezy

Adam's wouldn't want a trade if they could win.

Adam's wouldn't want a trade if they weren't already shopping him, he found out they wanted to trade him before and now he said **** it do it. 

Adam's wouldn't want a trade if they would talk to him in the off season instead of "we will talk contract extension in the offseason" and then not contacting him or his agent.

The list goes on. Owners aren't the sweet little angels you wanna make them out to be. Idk why yall wanna love up on them so much. 

Edit:

And another thing. Why is it ok for owners to cut players whenever but it's so **** bad for a player to want a better contract? Want more guaranteed money? Want safety? Want anything that God forbid benefits the **** player.

I think the biggest struggle we have is not being able to see that the NFL is a business and the owners are like a boss to the players who are like workers. 
 

It must be difficult to continue to run this as a business knowing it’s a sport as well. 
 

I for one wouldn’t act a fool demanding a pay raise or a transfer to my boss as they probably would let me go from my contract and I would be out of work. 
 

but then again it’s hard to compare working as a healthcare professional to a sports professional. If you look at it strictly from a business lens, the owners are doing things based on a business. Letting people go happens, firing people for misconduct happens, giving raises happens. Unfortunately I don’t know if we can look at football strictly as a business and it is such a difficult situation for a business owner to not run a football team business like other businesses

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, emc008 said:

I think the biggest struggle we have is not being able to see that the NFL is a business and the owners are like a boss to the players who are like workers. 
 

It must be difficult to continue to run this as a business knowing it’s a sport as well. 
 

I for one wouldn’t act a fool demanding a pay raise or a transfer to my boss as they probably would let me go from my contract and I would be out of work. 
 

but then again it’s hard to compare working as a healthcare professional to a sports professional. If you look at it strictly from a business lens, the owners are doing things based on a business. Letting people go happens, firing people for misconduct happens, giving raises happens. Unfortunately I don’t know if we can look at football strictly as a business and it is such a difficult situation for a business owner to not run a football team business like other businesses

 

Not an excuse. He is the best safety in the league. Are you the best at your job?

It's a business for the players too. This is their career they should get all the money they can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Not an excuse. He is the best safety in the league. Are you the best at your job?

It's a business for the players too. This is their career they should get all the money they can. 

I agree with you however from a business standpoint I’ve seen the best not get paid the most or able to say/do what they want with little to no repercussions... I’ve been pretty darn good at a job and felt I wasn’t being paid my worth and still feared throwing a tantrum would cause me to lose my job. I mean aren’t our jobs the same as theirs in the sense if we should get all the money we can? 
 

this is where I’m torn because football is a business but it’s also something else 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, emc008 said:

I agree with you however from a business standpoint I’ve seen the best not get paid the most or able to say/do what they want with little to no repercussions... I’ve been pretty darn good at a job and felt I wasn’t being paid my worth and still feared throwing a tantrum would cause me to lose my job. I mean aren’t our jobs the same as theirs in the sense if we should get all the money we can? 
 

this is where I’m torn because football is a business but it’s also something else 

No because you're replaceable. They'll find someone else to do the job the same or better than you for the same or cheaper salary.

Adam's in the best in the league. No one right now will replace him at the same level so he is in a position to make demands. Especially when the team doesn't treat him right to begin with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

@octoslash @ramonezy

Adam's wouldn't want a trade if they could win.

Adam's wouldn't want a trade if they weren't already shopping him, he found out they wanted to trade him before and now he said **** it do it. 

Adam's wouldn't want a trade if they would talk to him in the off season instead of "we will talk contract extension in the offseason" and then not contacting him or his agent.

The list goes on. Owners aren't the sweet little angels you wanna make them out to be. Idk why yall wanna love up on them so much. 

Edit:

And another thing. Why is it ok for owners to cut players whenever but it's so **** bad for a player to want a better contract? Want more guaranteed money? Want safety? Want anything that God forbid benefits the **** player.

Not "loving up on owners" at all actually. But if I sign a player to a deal for 4 years, for a certain amount of money that's what I expect to pay. All contracts have outs and cap hits clearly specified that both agents and players understand... So cutting a player is actually within the contract signed. Of all the pro sports, NFL contracts are the most fickle, from both perspectives. In this era of contracts, you almost need to have a major contributor on a rookie deal or you can't afford a contender... Which is why I'll always respect TD, he's done about the best job of any of the GMs juggling several Pro Bowl contracts that reset market at various positions. 

Edited by ramonezy
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ramonezy said:

Not "loving up on owners" at all actually. But if I sign a player to a deal for 4 years, for a certain amount of money that's what I expect to pay. All contracts have outs and cap hits clearly specified that both agents and players understand... So cutting a player is actually within the contract signed. Of all the pro sports, NFL contracts are the most fickle, from both perspectives. In this era of contracts, you almost need to have a major contributor on a rookie deal or you can't afford a contender... Which is why I'll always respect TD, he's done about the best job of any of the GMs juggling several Pro Bowl contracts that reset market at various positions. 

And if a player signs a contract he should be expected to be there for the contract but that's not how it works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, emc008 said:

I agree with you however from a business standpoint I’ve seen the best not get paid the most or able to say/do what they want with little to no repercussions... I’ve been pretty darn good at a job and felt I wasn’t being paid my worth and still feared throwing a tantrum would cause me to lose my job. I mean aren’t our jobs the same as theirs in the sense if we should get all the money we can? 
 

this is where I’m torn because football is a business but it’s also something else 

if you work in the private sector it's much easier. As my value goes up in my career my pay goes up with it. Same as NFL players. But I do work in pro sports.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, emc008 said:

I agree with you however from a business standpoint I’ve seen the best not get paid the most or able to say/do what they want with little to no repercussions... I’ve been pretty darn good at a job and felt I wasn’t being paid my worth and still feared throwing a tantrum would cause me to lose my job. I mean aren’t our jobs the same as theirs in the sense if we should get all the money we can? 
 

this is where I’m torn because football is a business but it’s also something else 

Some players have the strength of character to air their dissatisfaction without the threat of "poisoning the locker room" if they don't get their way. It remains to be seen if Adams will be a professional and be a good teammate if a trade doesn't occur. Unfortunately, the lesser character guys usually get their way because owners don't trust them to put it all aside when the season starts. Usually it's because the player was treated as special  his entire life and had no one to jerk a knot in him when he got full of himself. Hard to imagine Julio pitching a fit about it. 

In some businesses the idea of promoting someone who is not fitting into their current work environment is easier than trying to deal with the behavior. Federal workers are very familiar with that routine. Unfortunately, many times those who were promoted out due to bad behavior end up in management over those that played nice and now they reek havoc on those they supervise as a "payback". Causes a dysfunctional organization. Happens all the time in the federal workplace.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a player should be able to publicly demand a trade....sometimes personality  conflicts can’t be resolved and the coach has the upper hand. If a coach can bench a player because he doesn’t get along with him a player should be able request a trade. It should be fair for all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic always makes me laugh.  Why fans hold players accountable to stick to their contracts and teams when teams and owners cut or trade players on a moments notice is just hilarious to me.  Such the double standard.

Should you be forced to work at a job you don't want to be at?  Should you be forced to work for the pay you agreed upon on your offer letter 4 years ago?  No.  Of course not.  Don't be silly.

Let's not also overlook the fact that Adam Gase is bottoming out that team quickly.  Who would want to play for him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, athell said:

This topic always makes me laugh.  Why fans hold players accountable to stick to their contracts and teams when teams and owners cut or trade players on a moments notice is just hilarious to me.  Such the double standard.

Should you be forced to work at a job you don't want to be at?  Should you be forced to work for the pay you agreed upon on your offer letter 4 years ago?  No.  Of course not.  Don't be silly.

Let's not also overlook the fact that Adam Gase is bottoming out that team quickly.  Who would want to play for him?

It translates directly to how they think in the real world when it comes to how they view labor vs Corporations so why would it be any different in sports?

They have been brainwashed to believe that the company is always right. 

See, you bout to get me going, I betta stop before I get in trouble here! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

It translates directly to how they think in the real world when it comes to how they view labor vs Corporations so why would it be any different in sports?

They have been brainwashed to believe that the company is always right. 

See, you bout to get me going, I betta stop before I get in trouble here! 

 

Go off man, someone here needs to hear it.  You are absolutely right tho.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even under contract every player has the right to ask for or demand a trade. The contract stipulates that he cannot just decide to take his chinstrap over to another team, but I am actually surprised that a lot more players dont ask for trades all the time.

The player is a business with a really short shelf life, he has to position himself for the best result financially cause this is the business he has been preparing to run his entire life. I am actually opposed to the trading deadline for this reason. More money can be made in the postseason and just cause a player plays on a team that didnt make the postseason doesnt mean that the player shouldnt be able to take his talents to another team if a trade makes sense.

It would have been interesting what might have happened with Devonta Freeman if the Seahawks could have traded for him down the stretch last season.  If they come to the Falcons and offer the Falcons a 3rd or 4th, I think the Falcons are happy to take it.

The teamns and owners are still in charge of the trading process.  Teams wont trade players who they want to keep. More trades, more often improves the business of the NFL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of this discussion is going on a tangent that's straying from the original point though... The key to the question, is not "asking for a raise" but the "publicly". 

I understand the general premise that guys are trying to defend in earlier comments, but when a player makes public criticisms about a team and then provide a list of locations they are willing to be traded to... That can't be kool. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

A lot of this discussion is going on a tangent that's straying from the original point though... The key to the question, is not "asking for a raise" but the "publicly". 

I understand the general premise that guys are trying to defend in earlier comments, but when a player makes public criticisms about a team and then provide a list of locations they are willing to be traded to... That can't be kool. 

One word.

Leverage.

When you aren't getting the answers you want in house, you go to the public.  The owners use the media to convey messages both indirectly and directly to players all the time.  Why can't the players do the same?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ramonezy said:

A lot of this discussion is going on a tangent that's straying from the original point though... The key to the question, is not "asking for a raise" but the "publicly". 

I understand the general premise that guys are trying to defend in earlier comments, but when a player makes public criticisms about a team and then provide a list of locations they are willing to be traded to... That can't be kool. 

Well my friend, it was a polarizing question.....so of course you’re gonna get some “on a tangent” responses.

This wasn’t all on Adams, Jets have mishandled his negotiations since last season ended. Bottom line, Adams outplayed his contract, which earned him the right to ask for a new deal. If not, jets could do him like we’re doing Takk (drafted same year as Adams), and let him play out his original deal. To me, it’s really not that much different than it is out there in the real world. Perform and you have a voice, disappoint and play meh and you are at the organization’s mercy.
 

And Seattle gave up a bundle to get him, so it’s not like jets were left out there in the cold with nothing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...