Gurley not happy with COVID-19 plan. Prepared to sit out

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gurlie to abstainie!

Gurley’s not saying he won’t play, he and a few other high profile players are sending a message to Goodell and owners. Which is smart. Still some more work for NFL to do, but they'll get there.

I think the NFL doesn’t have a clear plan because they want to watch baseball and basketball and form the best plan possible. Just because there isn’t a plan, doesn’t mean they are dragging their feet

NFL owners are treating this situation like it doesn't register as being important to them. The first indicator was when rumors swirled that they would make fans sign waivers of liability to attend. And I agree with Gurley that they should have had a much more robust plan in place weeks ago. Losing stadium revenue has them counting ways to save pennies.

47 minutes ago, 77birdgang said:

I mean he might be right

There's no right or wrong imo.  This is a personal choice.  Maybe he has family members who are high risk or maybe even has concerns for his own health.   I won't judge any player who chooses to sit out if it comes to that.  I for one don't think there is a such thing as a good plan for COVID and certainly no one who can assure players they won't get it regardless of the steps the NFL takes.

1 hour ago, Monolith2001 said:

There's no right or wrong imo.  This is a personal choice.  Maybe he has family members who are high risk or maybe even has concerns for his own health.   I won't judge any player who chooses to sit out if it comes to that.  I for one don't think there is a such thing as a good plan for COVID and certainly no one who can assure players they won't get it regardless of the steps the NFL takes.

Honestly I think it's less a good plan and more no plan at all or not a clear plan.

I get it football is much more difficult than baseball and even soccer, you have people all draped over you every play, a running back is on the bottom of a pile with 300 pound lineman breathing on them half the game. Might be overly cautious but if i was  sitting on the 20 million from the Rams Id sit out if it wasn't perfect too. Don't blame him it's an individual's choice, now Quadree and Ito might have a different opinion and that's okay too, the whole country is in uncharted waters. I know I'm doing stuff differently cause we have our mother living with us now, we take extra precautions

30 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think the NFL doesn’t have a clear plan because they want to watch baseball and basketball and form the best plan possible. Just because there isn’t a plan, doesn’t mean they are dragging their feet. People are probably working tireless hours to figure this out 

Not much they can learn from the NBA seeing as they can't duplicate what the NBA is doing. 

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

NFL owners are treating this situation like it doesn't register as being important to them. The first indicator was when rumors swirled that they would make fans sign waivers of liability to attend. And I agree with Gurley that they should have had a much more robust plan in place weeks ago. Losing stadium revenue has them counting ways to save pennies.

It's up to you to protect yourself. Business owners provide a product or service and the consumer should take the risk into consideration before using that product or service. If requiring a waiver is a good way to drive that point across to the consumer then I'm all for it. Either play the season as you would normally play it and let fans decide for themselves about the risk or don't play it at all. One caviat to this in my opinion would be a mask requirement for fans to attend but even then, fans should understand that there will always be those that won't adhere to the rules. 

My personal situation does not allow me to go into or around any public space but that's not how it is for everyone so just let the fans decide for themselves.

As far as the players are concerned, if they don't feel the reward is worth the risk, I'm sure they could opt out as part of the agreement. That's a far better deal than the Police, Fireman, Air Traffic Controllers, Postal workers, grocery store workers....etc. who've worked as usual through it all without the financial means to just say "F...it" I'm not working this year. If there's someone to feel sympathy for it sure wouldn't be Todd Gurley.

5 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think the NFL doesn’t have a clear plan because they want to watch baseball and basketball and form the best plan possible. Just because there isn’t a plan, doesn’t mean they are dragging their feet. People are probably working tireless hours to figure this out 

Good post.

All that plus the recent spike in infections has caused all businesses to be flexible in their course of action. I know I’ve changed my own small business parameters several times the past few months. And an organization the size of NFL, which also requires constant human physical contact,  is multiple times more difficult than what most companies like mine have faced. 

1 hour ago, The Architect said:

I wouldn't really blame him. The NFL had months to figure out a plan and only recently started working on one.

I don't blame him either, but I think it's unfair to expect the NFL to have a specific plan finalized with the COVID situation changing so quickly. It is not true that the NFL only recently started working on one, unless you mean recently=3-4 months. My practice was virtually closed by state mandate (no elective surgeries, only urgent or emergency care) less than 3 months ago, and now we are working 100%. A big outbreak in Tennessee over the next few weeks and we could be shut down again. The plan depends on conditions at the time. Who knows what conditions will be in September?

3 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

The average NFL fan needs to understand that as a business, any NFL team's relationship to it's fanbase is governed by one main thing, revenue production and the maintenance of it. The other thing that NFL fans in particular need to understand is that if this season happens, it won't be to maintain the revenue generated by the fans or stadium receipts, it'll be to maintain the revenue stream from the ones that truly matter in the life or death of the league, the TV contract money. This is the only reason any of these pro leagues try to play this year. The fanbase of each team is the least of the league's concern financially speaking. 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Not much they can learn from the NBA seeing as they can't duplicate what the NBA is doing. 

That's not true at all.  Just because they can't be in a bubble doesn't mean there are no other protocols implemented that they couldn't learn from.  The bubble is just 1 piece of the pie. The NBA has implemented a ton of protocols and procedures that could be adapted and modified by the NFL.

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Nah man, these rando internet posters have insider information.  The league is sitting on their hands.