Jump to content

PFF 2019 grades: QBs most affected by pressure


Recommended Posts

2. MATT RYAN, ATLANTA FALCONS

-48.0 difference in PFF passing grade when pressured, 39% pressure rate

The 2019 campaign was rough for Ryan and the Falcons, and a lot of it had to do with troubles along the offensive line. The Falcons attempted to bolster the group up front with the addition of not one but two first-round offensive linemen — Chris Lindstrom at right guard and Kaleb McGary at right tackle — but it wasn’t smooth sailing for the rookies. 

Lindstrom showed some promise, but he played in only five games all season due to injury. McGary, on the other hand, struggled mightily in his first season of action. He was the only tackle in the NFL to allow double-digit sacks and quarterback hits. Meanwhile, Ryan had a top-five passing grade in the NFL from a clean pocket in 2019.

...

Hoping year 2 for the right side and committing to wide zone w/ Gurley now in fold mean a more balanced attack and therefore total snaps in obvious pass situations are lowered. Maybe Dirk and the system comes around year 2...by now you’d think players would have more time to study up and then it’s the reps. I could see a slow start to the season on offense and a sharp improvement after a couple games if that scenario holds true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Blood line is top 5 LT in NFL. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about McGary at tackle. 

I'm sure the run blocking was just as putrid. And TATF says our Oline is good to go against the 2020 schedule. With Bloodline on skates, Mack in his last year and three other OLinemen with less t

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I'm sure the run blocking was just as putrid. And TATF says our Oline is good to go against the 2020 schedule.

With Bloodline on skates, Mack in his last year and three other OLinemen with less than a season in the NFL? OK.

Don't even get me started on Bloodline.  Guy struggles too much for a top 6 pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Not worried about McGary. It’s hard to hold up when you are trailing for most of the games. He improved as the Falcons offense wasn’t playing too much behind in second half. 

What you are trying to say is it’s tough to hold up when you completely abandon the run game.  
 

The Patriots ran the ball 12 times after going down 28-3 in SB 51.  Trailing by 10 should not fundamentally alter your game plan.  The excuses being made for Dirk are just odd

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

What you are trying to say is it’s tough to hold up when you completely abandon the run game.  
 

The Patriots ran the ball 12 times after going down 28-3 in SB 51.  Trailing by 10 should not fundamentally alter your game plan.  The excuses being made for Dirk are just odd

You trailing by 2 or more scores in a shoot out 2/3 of snaps. You ain’t running averaging 1-2 yards. How many times did Pats pass? Let’s see the ratio. And funny enough, Falcons offense doesn’t play Falcons dumpster defense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 3:47 AM, QuantumFalconz said:

Once the Oline RUN block more consistently, this PFF stat will be a thing of the past. I feel confident in the Oline this coming up season.

I do not feel confident.  I am hopeful, but I am not confident that the OL will finally step up and perform to the level of the "skill" players behind them.  

Matthews is OK.  He gets the job done most of the time, but he has a big question mark next to him.  We do not have a definite answer at LG.  The attempts to fill that position in FA have failed.  The addition of Hennessey is, in my opinion, not an answer at LG.  Make no mistake, this is a gaping hole.  It can not be easy to handle the blindside protection of your QB when you have a slug at your side.  

The Center position is looking good.  Mack is obviously terrific.  His age is a concern, but I think the FO intelligently drafted Hennessey at the right time.  We should be good at Center.

The RG position is looking good......as long as Lindstrom remains healthy.  Is he going to be one of those players that is considered good (AS LONG AS HE IS HEALTHY)?  It is too early to know, but a significant injury early in a career is always a concern.  

The RT position is a question mark.  Kaleb was lousy last year.  He looked better in the final few games of last season, so, as a fan, I have a glimmer of hope.  My hope does not change the fact that  Kaleb had a very tough time in pass protection last year.  Gono does not appear to be the answer.  If he was, our FO would not have used the draft capital to trade up for McGary.  The RT position rests on McGary's shoulders......and from what we have seen, KM has to improve NOW.

So, while we are all hopeful that the OL plays better this coming season, I don't see how we can feel confident about it.  All we can do is cross our fingers.  The Super Bowl window is closing on this team.  It would be a shame to have to wonder how things could have been with a good OL.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, falcons007 said:

You trailing by 2 or more scores in a shoot out 2/3 of snaps. You ain’t running averaging 1-2 yards. How many times did Pats pass? Let’s see the ratio. And funny enough, Falcons offense doesn’t play Falcons dumpster defense. 

It doesn’t matter.  You can still run the football.  And even in our wins we still averaged 40 pass attempts per game.  It’s too much.  Run the football.  Period.  No excuses. It will make us a better passing team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, etherdome said:

I do not feel confident.  I am hopeful, but I am not confident that the OL will finally step up and perform to the level of the "skill" players behind them. 

So, while we are all hopeful that the OL plays better this coming season, I don't see how we can feel confident about it.  All we can do is cross our fingers.  The Super Bowl window is closing on this team.  It would be a shame to have to wonder how things could have been with a good OL.   

And a decent defense. I think a lot of people think with a healthy Lindstrom and McGary with a season under his belt, as well as the addition of Hennessey, we are set. The problem is a rookie seamlessly stepping in, Lindstrom staying healthy, and McGary progressing significantly are far from certainties. I'm not too worried about Lindstrom, but Mack is a year older, Hennessey is a rookie, and we still don't know what we have with McGary. There are as many questions as there are answers...the potential is there to be a pretty good OL, but any optimism should be of the cautious nature. My hope is Koetter isn't so quick to ditch the run game, a lot of time that's how you can get these younger guys 'in the game', so to speak. If they spend 80% of the first half defending twists and blitzes, might be tough sledding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Had a slow start and then was pretty much pro bowl level the last 11 games or so. People just remember his few bad games and never give him credit when he is balling which is most of the time. 

This is pretty much Falcons fans in a nutshell toward any player; unless said player is a physical specimen compared to the league and gets a pass for some weird reason. I know...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Not worried about McGary. It’s hard to hold up when you are trailing for most of the games. He improved as the Falcons offense wasn’t playing too much behind in second half. 

And Free wasnt running the ball as much. This staff shot themselves in the foot last year. Should have played Gono more also.

It's a waste to try and stop the bleeding while taking blood thinners simultaneously. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It doesn’t matter.  You can still run the football.  And even in our wins we still averaged 40 pass attempts per game.  It’s too much.  Run the football.  Period.  No excuses. It will make us a better passing team.

Moving goal posts again.

Patriots trailing Runs:12

Patriots trailing pass :?

Lets see the ratio...

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, red falcon said:

And Free wasnt running the ball as much. This staff shot themselves in the foot last year. Should have played Gono more also.

It's a waste to try and stop the bleeding while taking blood thinners simultaneously. 

Honestly Gono wouldn’t have made much difference. Freeman wasn’t running because he was putting offense with 1-2 yards runs and it’s a disaster when you are playing behind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Had a slow start and then was pretty much pro bowl level the last 11 games or so. People just remember his few bad games and never give him credit when he is balling which is most of the time. 

Well. The folks who hated him from the rookie year continue the same stuff. It’s not hard to see OL struggle when the opposing defenses pin on the QB with a lead. I want to see a balanced team this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

Other than Matthews, Lindstrom and McGary look like they will be the best O-line picks that TD has ever made. I really think they will both be hits. I understand why some of you guys can’t let yourselves believe it though based on his track record with O-line picks 😂

McGary will probably/hopefully end up like Duane Brown. Guy who struggled early in the career and got better and better. Lindstorm is gonna be a stud. Mathews is already the best OL pick made by TD. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OL was rough in pass pro last year, and all around.

A bit surprised by the stat though, because doesn't Ryan normally perform well when hurried?

I mean we shouldn't rely on it and should give him blocking, but I wonder if his really lower grade when pressured means we should have had more route options to go to quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

This the pretty much Falcons fans in a nutshell toward any player; unless said player is a physical specimen compared to the league and gets a pass for some weird reason. I know...

TBF it happens a lot with linemen in general. When you mess up everyone is on your *** all week, but have a gret game and it's crickets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...