It Is Long Overdue - Mr Falcon Snubbed

If all you knew about him was the following stat, it would be enough: 294 tackles in 14 games. This man deserves to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame

Tommy Nobis, Mr. Falcon.  I can only imagine how great he could have been without the injuries.  In case you didn’t know, Nobis was a two way player who was an All American at Linebacker and Guard.  Dude averaged 20 tackles per game. 

Army coach Paul Dietzel (whose team faced Texas in 1964) said, “Tommy Nobis is not the greatest linebacker I’ve ever seen. He is the greatest linebacker who ever lived.”

As a senior, he appeared on the covers of Time, Life and Sports Illustrated, and won the Outland and Maxwell awards. Nobis came in seventh in Heisman Trophy voting, generally the exclusive domain of quarterbacks and running backs. In 1969, SI compiled an all-century team (the first college football game having been played between Rutgers and Princeton in 1869), and Nobis was on it—as an offensive lineman!

He was the first Falcon player drafted and put on a show his rookie year, amassing 294 tackles in 14 games.  Honestly one of the great seasons of all time.  He was a multiple time All Pro and named to the 60’s All Decade Team....an impressive feat.  I guarantee he is the only member of that all decade team not enshrined in Canton. He gave his body and ultimately his mind to the game he loved. It’s time for that game to pay it forward and put  him in the Hall of Fame.

29 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Frank Borman orbited the earth for two weeks alongside Jim Lovell during a Gemini mission.

He took the time to radio down to NASA mission control, "Tell the Oilers to draft Nobis".  

Great story...and they did draft him 5th overall.  Nobis opted to leave his home state and make ATL his home.  It’s too bad how severe his CTE was.  They say he had the most severe case.  His wife said Nobis couldn’t quite understand the Falcons were in SB51

“His wife, Lynn, said she was uncertain if her husband knew that the Falcons reached Super Bowl LI.

“We told him the Falcons are in the Super Bowl, and we wear red and black,” Lynn Nobis said in an interview with The Houston Chronicle. “But it doesn’t seem to click. I don’t know if he understands.”

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Nobis can't get in, but you think Ryan has an 80% chance of getting there without a ring? I hope you're right, but the media bias against Ryan is way more seriously negative than it ever was against Nobis.

If they kept official stats during Nobis career for defensive players, I bet he would be in the HOF

19 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I guarantee he is the only member of that all decade team not enshrined in Canton. 

Del Shofner, Gary Collins & Boyd Dowler were 1960 All Decade receivers who never made the HOF (but you gotta consider the receiver was really just a downfield blocker back then).

Ralph Neely & Howard Mudd were OL all decade who still arent in . All Decade RB John Crowe didnt make it but 5 other RB did, nor did All Decade kicker Jim Bakken.

On defense, as far as DL is concerned, only Alex Karras was left and he is a 2020 inductee. Only 2 of the 5 LB made it, left off are 2 former Falcons Larry Morris (who was much more dominant in the 1950s) and of course TNobis.  2 of the 6 DBs didnt make the HOF (Bobby Boyd & Eddie Meador) and the Punter Don Chandler didnt make it either.

Of the 37 players who made the all-1960s All decade team (not including kickers cause they are... kickers) 10 never made the HOF.

Of those 10, Nobis is way overdue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_1960s_All-Decade_Team

Edited by RetroRoq
added link

I have posted this before but it totally fits this thread:

Years ago our company had Joe Namath as a spokesman. I met him at a dinner one night and asked him what it was like playing against Claude Humphrey and Tommy Nobis. Joe’s answer was classic:

”Claude Humphrey would chase you around and talk smack”

Then I asked him about Tommy Nobis.  Joe got quiet and it was like he was thinking back to a specific event. Then he simply said “when Tommy Nobis hit you everything went dark.”

Huge respect from a HOF QB  

3 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

I have posted this before but it totally fits this thread:

Years ago our company had Joe Namath as a spokesman. I met him at a dinner one night and asked him what it was like playing against Claude Humphrey and Tommy Nobis. Joe’s answer was classic:

”Claude Humphrey would chase you around and talk smack”

Then I asked him about Tommy Nobis.  Joe got quiet and it was like he was thinking back to a specific event. Then he simply said “when Tommy Nobis hit you everything went dark.”

Huge respect from a HOF QB  

I think Nobis stood Namath up on 4th/goal to win the National Championship for Texas...sounds like Joe has some PTSD...lol