Quinn, Use This In TC Please: Kinlaw Hones Skill Using Knives

I’ve only seen Donald do this.  I wasn’t on the Kinlaw train but I have a feeling he ends up All Pro just to show me how little I know:  Quinn, stop embracing The Suck and pull out these knives training drills...lol.  Knowing our luck Takk would end up stabbed

Watch 49ers' Javon Kinlaw replicate Aaron Donald knife training drill

You're correct, those are in fact a pair of knives being wielded and sent in Kinlaw's direction as he bats them away. We've seen a similar drill from two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/watch-49ers-javon-kinlaw-replicate-aaron-donald-knife-training-drill

3 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Idk how slow *** knife play helps you pass rush but ok.

Coordination, reflex, and use of hands.

As someone that practices Filipino dirty boxing and knife training, it can help a lot with pass rushing. Being able to transition from attacking, to defending and countering smoothly and quickly is the essence of pass rush. 

If you can do it with knives, where there is almost zero margin of error, you can do it empty hand.

4 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Coordination, reflex, and use of hands.

As someone that practices Filipino dirty boxing and knife training, it can help a lot with pass rushing. Being able to transition from attacking, to defending and countering smoothly and quickly is the essence of pass rush. 

If you can do it with knives, where there is almost zero margin of error, you can do it empty hand.

The training in this video seems slow af. If he goes faster and isn't so timid sure but he seems scared to strike Kinlaw. 

1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

The training in this video seems slow af. If he goes faster and isn't so timid sure but he seems scared to strike Kinlaw. 

Because even with training blades accidents can happen and you can poke someone in the eyes.

You never go full speed early on without a warm up or with a training partner that's inexperienced. Otherwise bad reflexes can lead to accidents and someone getting hurt. It's the same for someone that's new to boxing. You don't go hard until someone has trained the fundamentals enough to start picking up the pace. That goes double for knife training.

2 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Because even with training blades accidents can happen and you can poke someone in the eyes.

You never go full speed early on without a warm up or with a training partner that's inexperienced. Otherwise bad reflexes can lead to accidents and someone getting hurt. It's the same for someone that's new to boxing. You don't go hard until someone has trained the fundamentals enough to start picking up the pace. That goes double for knife training.

Makes sense. You start slow because the object of the exercise is to hone your ability to act and react without thought, not to undergo an accidental appendectomy at practice. :lol:

35 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

I'd imagine this isn't a new thing for him if he's showing it off on social media my guy. Donald got hit in the face during his video. Don't half *** something if you're gonna do it. 

6 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Makes sense. You start slow because the object of the exercise is to hone your ability to act and react without thought, not to undergo an accidental appendectomy at practice. :lol:

I'm going to new orleans tomorrow posing as a knife pass rush expert training guy thing 😈 😈