Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For a QB who has only twice in 12 years finished outside the top 10 in QBR, it’s shocking how often ESPN, analysts and so called “professionals” will snub Matt Ryan.  Heck, even Falcons fans are just as likely to throw shade as they are to compliment the former  MVP.   
 

As for me, I like Ryan with a chip on his shoulders.  Hopefully the ignorant disrespect continues.

Matt Ryan Ranks Outside The Top 10 In ESPN's 2020 Quarterback Rankings Panel

 

1. Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs

Age: 24 | Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 4

Nearly 30 voters were polled, and all but one picked Mahomes first overall.

"Everything else is a grab bag," one AFC exec said. "He's the face of the league." That was evident by the Chiefs' signing Mahomes to a record 10-year, $450 million extension Monday, with a total package that can push the 12-year pact (he had two years left on his rookie deal) up to $503 million.

It's easy to detail Mahomes' dominance statistically and anecdotally:

  • second player to win a Super Bowl and MVP in his first three seasons

  • QB ratings of 113.8 and 105.3 as a two-year starter

  • 304 yards and 2.53 passing touchdowns per game

  • arm talent to complete passes from all bodily contortions

  • leads NFL with 22 touchdown passes of 20-plus yards downfield and 17 touchdown passes on the run since 2018

But the biggest impact is creating big plays when he decides it's time to win -- like uncorking a 44-yarder to Tyreek Hill from deep in the pocket on third-and-long in the Super Bowl.

"Talk to 31 defensive coordinators, they'd all say they are least excited about playing this guy," one NFL veteran assistant coach said. "Only getting better with dealing with defenses, too."

The Chiefs rave about his relatability and leadership, as well.

One knock is unnecessary risk-taking.

"Our coach came in our meeting room [before a Chiefs game] and said, 'Listen guys, his model is touchdown or touchback,'" one veteran NFL cornerback said. "He's gonna launch it. You saw it in the Super Bowl. They keep airing it out. So there are chances to get him."
 

2. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks

3. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

4. Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans

5. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

6. Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens

7. Tom Brady, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

8. Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles

9. Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys

10. Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions

11. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons

12. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

13. Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals

 

This list has generated quite a bit of buzz on Twitter, as one could imagine. The 2016 MVP behind guys like Stafford, Prescott, and Wentz is not exactly...consensus opinion. Not to mention three of the top seven names on the list are well past their prime, but alas. 

This seems slightly insane, as Ryan has only ranked outside the top-10 in QBR twice in his entire career, and his average finish in QBR over the last five seasons is 7.6. Coming off of a less than spectacular statistical season, one in which the Falcons' offensive line struggled quite a bit in both the passing and the running game, this feels like an overreaction. 

If the rest of the list catered to younger talent, Ryan being outside the top-10 could make more sense. But Rodgers, Brees and Brady being ranked so favorably for the upcoming season means youth wasn't part of the criteria to receive a high ranking. 

The story does note that Ryan had more top-10 votes than Stafford, but that Stafford's average rank was slightly higher. Where do you think Matt Ryan should rank on the list?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t get the media’s infatuation about Prescott either Rings, other than he’s the QB in Dallas. They supposedly have a talented team, yet what have they won? In a QB driven league, to me that's ver

Good point. Obvious selective negative bias based on dislike of Matt Ryan.

I see this said a lot, even in Bomani argument on Twitter the other day. I always ask, and will ask now, why is help always brought up, and only brought up with Matt Ryan and his numbers? A majority o

Of course, I completely disagree with the list. One of the craziest things this offseason is how overrated some people are making Stafford out to be. Dude literally played great ball for 8 games, not even a full season, and all of sudden he’s this great QB now. I think he’s good, and tbh 10 isn’t a bad a spot, but I’ve seen him getting ranked a decent amount higher than that when he honestly shouldn’t be at all. Also, when has Stafford EVER truly been better than Matt? Like maybe only the 8 games of last year I suppose? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Of course, I completely disagree with the list. One of the craziest things this offseason is how overrated some people are making Stafford out to be. Dude literally played great ball for 8 games, not even a full season, and all of sudden he’s this great QB now. I think he’s good, and tbh 10 isn’t a bad a spot, but I’ve seen him getting ranked a decent amount higher than that when he honestly shouldn’t be at all. Also, when has Stafford EVER truly been better than Matt? Like maybe only the 8 games of last year I suppose? 

I actually think Stafford belongs in the top 10.  He and OC Darell Bevel were dynamite last year.   Before Stafford broke his back (8 games), the Lions were averaging 26 ppg and Stafford was on a Ryan circa 2016 pace.  
 

Stafford was on pace for

• 5,000 yards on less than 600 attempts (this  never happens)

• 38 TD’s

• 10 INT’s

• 106 QBR

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone needs a good laugh, read Bomani Jones take on Ryan being a future HOF QB:

ESPN's Bomani Jones ignites intense debate on Matt Ryan

A Falcons fan shut Bomani up by offering up this fact: “only two QB’s in the history of football have at least 50,000 passing yards and 300 TD’s in 12 years.  

     ¥.  Peyton Manning

     ¥.  Couldn’t Be Matt Ryan

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/espn-s-bomani-jones-ignites-intense-debate-on-matt-ryan

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeremy Fowler:

"Maybe the tightest race of the position was Stafford vs. Matt Ryan at 10," ESPN's Jeremy Fowler writes. "Ryan had slightly more top-10 votes, but Stafford's average overall was higher. Expanding the voting to Ryan vs. Stafford exclusively gave Stafford the edge as well. He scares opposing teams more, can score from anywhere on the field, and where he plays counts."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/07/08/detroit-lions-matthew-stafford-among-espn-top-quarterbacks/5399350002/

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If anyone needs a good laugh, read Bomani Jones take on Ryan being a future HOF QB:

ESPN's Bomani Jones ignites intense debate on Matt Ryan

A Falcons fan shut Bomani up by offering up this fact: “only two QB’s in the history of football have at least 50,000 passing yards and 300 TD’s in 12 years.  

     ¥.  Peyton Manning

     ¥.  Couldn’t Be Matt Ryan

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/espn-s-bomani-jones-ignites-intense-debate-on-matt-ryan

 
Bomani went in...:lol:
 
4iZxUYoD_bigger.jpg
 
 
falcons fans SWEARING to me matt ryan is a hall of famer: get off that narcotic. you've watched so much mediocrity that pretty good looks great to you.
 
serious question: where do you falcons fans get off having all this pride in matt ryan? do you really not want more? do you not want better? is this good enough for you? are you that battered and scarred? do you love that bad dope that much? you don't feel silly arguing with me?
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spts1 said:
 
Bomani went in...:lol:
 
4iZxUYoD_bigger.jpg
 
 
falcons fans SWEARING to me matt ryan is a hall of famer: get off that narcotic. you've watched so much mediocrity that pretty good looks great to you.
 
serious question: where do you falcons fans get off having all this pride in matt ryan? do you really not want more? do you not want better? is this good enough for you? are you that battered and scarred? do you love that bad dope that much? you don't feel silly arguing with me?

All I could do was laugh when I read what he said...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I actually think Stafford belongs in the top 10.  He and OC Darell Bevel were dynamite last year.   Before Stafford broke his back (8 games), the Lions were averaging 26 ppg and Stafford was on a Ryan circa 2016 pace.  
 

Stafford was on pace for

• 5,000 yards on less than 600 attempts (this  never happens)

• 38 TD’s

• 10 INT’s

• 106 QBR

 

I’m fine with him being too 10. At max though, I’d put him at 8. I know he was on pace for some great numbers, but there’s no telling if he actually would’ve reached those numbers. That’s really my biggest problem with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spts1 said:
 
Bomani went in...:lol:
 
4iZxUYoD_bigger.jpg
 
 
falcons fans SWEARING to me matt ryan is a hall of famer: get off that narcotic. you've watched so much mediocrity that pretty good looks great to you.
 
serious question: where do you falcons fans get off having all this pride in matt ryan? do you really not want more? do you not want better? is this good enough for you? are you that battered and scarred? do you love that bad dope that much? you don't feel silly arguing with me?

 

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If anyone needs a good laugh, read Bomani Jones take on Ryan being a future HOF QB:

ESPN's Bomani Jones ignites intense debate on Matt Ryan

A Falcons fan shut Bomani up by offering up this fact: “only two QB’s in the history of football have at least 50,000 passing yards and 300 TD’s in 12 years.  

     ¥.  Peyton Manning

     ¥.  Couldn’t Be Matt Ryan

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/espn-s-bomani-jones-ignites-intense-debate-on-matt-ryan

Ima be honest, I didn’t even know who this dude was until he started talking crap about Matt the other day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If anyone needs a good laugh, read Bomani Jones take on Ryan being a future HOF QB:

ESPN's Bomani Jones ignites intense debate on Matt Ryan

A Falcons fan shut Bomani up by offering up this fact: “only two QB’s in the history of football have at least 50,000 passing yards and 300 TD’s in 12 years.  

     ¥.  Peyton Manning

     ¥.  Couldn’t Be Matt Ryan

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/espn-s-bomani-jones-ignites-intense-debate-on-matt-ryan

I love Bomani. Not many can debate with him. But he is completely wrong on this. Ryan will eventually get in. Won’t be first ballot but he will get in eventually. Now if he adds a Super Bowl title he just might

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Seriously if I ever met this Bomani character I would have to slap him across his face. 

LOL Zilla....that one made me laugh. 
 

But seriously....who cares? I guarandamteeya Matt could care less what any of the talking heads think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Carson Wentz gets credit for the Eagles Super Bowl win. Dude has never won a playoff game. Heck he never finished one.

 

Also Stafford has one pro bowl and is 0-3 in the playoffs. Ryan's biggest knock for the first half of his career was that he couldn't win in the playoffs. Has that ever been said about Stafford? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dak? Wentz? Stafford?  Rodgers at three is laughable, Ryan has outplayed him the last five years, really pathetic how much people get hung up on a ring and arm strength thinking it will lead to future success.

This is why I hate main stream media, they don’t dig deep at all and if it didn’t make their stations highlight reel they don’t know a lot about it, and most the time they talk just to talk.

That said I think Mina Kimes does a really good job on ESPN staying grounded, balanced and knowing her stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wentz can't stay on the field.  Stafford was hurt for half the year.  Your best ability is your availability.  Sure Wentz has the intangibles to be a great QB, but he's consistently shown hes injury prone and shouldnt even sniff top 10 bc of it.  Ryan is consistently putting up numbers with a revolving door OC every 2-3 years.  Mine wouldve been:

1 Mahomes

2 Wilson

3 Brady/ Brees 

4 Lamar (defenses will start to defend better)

5/6 Dak (another weapon in Lamb)/ Ryan

Murray

Rodgers (GB gave him 0 help with draft)

Watson

Stafford

Wentz

Big Ben 

 

Edited by New Jersey Falcon
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rings said:

Dak? Wentz? Stafford?  Rodgers at three is laughable, Ryan has outplayed him the last five years, really pathetic how much people get hung up on a ring and arm strength thinking it will lead to future success.

This is why I hate main stream media, they don’t dig deep at all and if it didn’t make their stations highlight reel they don’t know a lot about it, and most the time they talk just to talk.

That said I think Mina Kimes does a really good job on ESPN staying grounded, balanced and knowing her stuff.

I don’t get the media’s infatuation about Prescott either Rings, other than he’s the QB in Dallas. They supposedly have a talented team, yet what have they won? In a QB driven league, to me that's very telling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...