One Step Closer To Reruns This Fall

JayOzOne

Florida State wide receivers challenge school's handling of coronavirus
play
10:47 AM ET
David M. Hale
ESPN Staff Writer
The delicate balance of player safety and pushing forward with football might have hit a tipping point at Florida State, where three wide receivers, including star Tamorrion Terry, have publicly spoken out about a lack of transparency in coronavirus testing at the school.

On Wednesday night, D.J. Matthews tweeted that he had tested positive for COVID-19, but the tweet was quickly deleted. He followed Thursday morning with a second tweet suggesting lies within the program.

Terry retweeted Matthews and offered his own vague concerns, writing, "I can't believe this."

Warren Thompson offered some clarity in an open letter to Florida State, saying he had been lied to about testing and health protocols on multiple occasions.

"Our leadership is based off an 'I' mentality with them only worried about their own future rather than their own athletes," Thompson wrote. "I have been ridiculed about speaking up regarding this issue, and it needs to be addressed for myself to safely continue the season."

The players' tweets came while the rest of the team was practicing Thursday morning.

After practice, coach Mike Norvell criticized the public commentary, repeatedly calling it "disappointing" and saying that, while he had not read the language specifically, he had been told some content was untrue. Norvell said he did not learn of the tweets until he left practice.

"We're working through the policies and procedures that are in place for us," Norvell said, "but I've been very transparent with every player I've talked to."

Florida State has refused to release testing numbers since players returned to campus in June. While many larger schools, including Clemson, Michigan and Oklahoma, have offered aggregate testing numbers, FSU has not announced any data.

Thompson's words were echoed by Terry's mother, Cindy Rewis, who tweeted, "We need answers and we want the truth."

Rewis specifically called for Norvell to address concerns raised by parents and players. She said that weekly testing has not taken place and that players who have tested positive have been told to remain silent.

Norvell said he spoke with Thompson, Terry and Matthews on Wednesday night, including about coronavirus testing and contact tracing protocols. Norvell said he did not ask Matthews to delete his initial tweet and said players are free to post anything they want on social media.

The state of college football leadership in 2020: The NCAA, a commissioner and more
A few players spoke out on behalf of Florida State's efforts. Starting safety Jaiden Lars-Woodbey tweeted that "the FSU Athletic training staff has been doing everything in their power to keep us SAFE!"

Said defensive end Joshua Kaindoh: "I feel safe, and if I didn't, just like everybody, I have the choice to be here or not be here."

This is the second public backlash against Norvell before he has even coached a game for the school. In June, star defensive tackle Marvin Wilson threatened a player boycott and stated publicly that Norvell had misrepresented meetings between coaches and players after George Floyd was killed while in police custody.

Norvell met with the team the next day to clear the air and said the situation was largely a misunderstanding, thanking Wilson for bringing the matter to light.

"There's a transition any time there's a new staff at a program," Norvell said Thursday. "The issue back in May with Marvin, I was able to come out and understand where my mistake was made. ... I owned that. We came together as a team.

"Players have a right to post whatever they want to post. Everybody has a platform they can use. I support our players and their voice. ... The integrity of how we operate, I stand by it every day."

Wilson tweeted Thursday that he felt "safe with what @FSUFootball is doing for us through this pandemic."

Norvell said he was not aware whether Terry, Thompson or Matthews would opt out after Thursday's social media posts, saying repeatedly that all players are free to do so if they have health concerns.

"This is completely voluntary," Norvell said. "We have a bunch of guys on this team that have worked extremely hard for the opportunity [to play]."

The ACC might be next. The Big East bellied up earlier.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29653173/florida-state-wide-receivers-challenge-school-handling-coronavirus

Saw on ESPN no championships for fall sports is that legit ? Just cause the two most liberal areas play politics big 10 and pac 12 wanna politically bow out the rest suffer?  Just start the season after nov 3 - guaranteed the media and democrats won’t care about covid after that..

48 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Saw on ESPN no championships for fall sports is that legit ? Just cause the two most liberal areas play politics big 10 and pac 12 wanna politically bow out the rest suffer?  Just start the season after nov 3 - guaranteed the media and democrats won’t care about covid after that..

it's ESPN.  otherwise known as the primary media mouth & supporter of the Big10 and specifically THE Ohio State University.  remember if OSU isn't the Champion then no one is.

Mark Emmert: No NCAA championships this fall due to coronavirus pandemic

6:38 PM ET
Heather Dinich
ESPN Senior Writer

NCAA president Mark Emmert said Thursday there won't be fall NCAA championships because there are not enough schools participating due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic -- a decision that affects 22 championships, including FCS football.

"The board of governors also established if you don't have half of the schools playing a sport, you can't have a legitimate championship," Emmert said in a video posted on the NCAA's Twitter feed. "We can't in any Division I NCAA championship sport now -- which is everything other than FBS football that goes on in the fall. Sadly, tragically, that's going to be the case this fall, full stop."

The number of schools fell below 50% on Wednesday when the Big East announced its fall sports wouldn't be played.

"I'm not sure now that it impacts what we're doing in football that we've continued to move forward," said West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons, chair of the NCAA's Football Oversight Committee. "Just because there's no championship at the end doesn't mean the whole fall is ruined for those student-athletes."

Lyons said some FCS schools still plan on playing nonconference football games, but unlike in the FBS, where the national champion is determined through the College Football Playoff, FCS football won't have its NCAA-sponsored championship.

When asked about the optics of that discrepancy, Lyons noted the Big 12's plan to test its athletes three times each week -- on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

"There's always going to be the optics of that, but from our conference, when we went through this, we added a couple extra layers of testing as part of our requirement," he said. "And that wasn't only going to apply to football, that is going to apply to all of our fall sports. ... Are we still going to be competing in those other sports in the fall? I don't have that answer yet. As a conference we haven't discussed it."

Emmert said the fall sports, which include soccer, women's volleyball and field hockey, should still turn to the winter and spring and try to create a legitimate championship for all of those students.

"My staff has been working hard on it, and talking to a lot of commissioners -- all of them, all 32 of them in D-I, and there are ways to do this," he said. "I'm completely confident that we can figure this out. If schools and conferences want to move forward, and try and have it and more than half of them want to do it -- and that's surely the indication now -- then let's do it. We can use the fall and keep kids healthy, keep them engaged with their coaches and their athletic departments. Focus on their academic success. Work with them and let them practice and stay ready to play, then let's go compete at that time."

A decision as to whether the championships could be moved to the spring might come when the NCAA's board of directors meets on Aug. 21.

The NCAA already announced last week that fall sports championships in Division II and Division III were canceled and would not be rescheduled for spring.

Kathy DeBoer, executive director of the American Volleyball Coaches Association, said, "The groups that make these decisions are division-specific, so we stay hopeful for a different outcome in D-I."

In a statement Thursday, the SEC said it will review the impact of championships being canceled in soccer, volleyball and cross country.

"Our soccer, volleyball and cross-country student-athletes are working hard to prepare for their seasons and they have been diligent in taking personal health precautions and following protocols around COVID-19," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said. "We will support them in every way possible as we evaluate the impact of these cancellations on their fall sports seasons."

The Big 12 is also assessing what the decision means for its schools and whether they would consider moving their fall sports to the spring.

"[We] will be discussing [the] NCAA decision with our membership in the near future, and whether they want to consider options," Big 12 senior associate commissioner Bob Burda told ESPN.

North Carolina women's soccer coach Anson Dorrance, whose program has won 21 NCAA titles, said he didn't support having a season in the fall if there is no NCAA championship to play for then.

"All the elite teams have players that can sign pro contracts right now, so it would be extraordinarily selfish for any of us to ask a player to stay [without a championship to play for]," Dorrance said.

Thursday's announcement by Emmert wasn't surprising, but that didn't necessarily take away the sting.

"We knew it was coming," Duke women's soccer coach Robbie Church said. "We've been counting the numbers and the teams going out. But once it's reality, it hurts."

ESPN's Mechelle Voepel and Graham Hays contributed to this report.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29656816/no-ncaa-championships-fall-due-coronavirus-pandemic

With Oklahoma having nine players come back from break infected, things are looking bleak.

NCAA's top doctor says more testing needed or 'there's no way we can go forward with sports'

Dr. Brian Hainline, the NCAA's chief medical officer, didn't paint a pretty picture about the possibility of fall sports

By Ben Kercheval 
The NCAA's chief medical officer painted a bleak picture on the outlook of playing college football during the coronavirus pandemic. Without more rigorous testing, he believes, college sports are likely to be canceled altogether. 

In an appearance on CNN, Dr. Brian Hainline said that without an improvement in nationwide testing, "there's no way we can go forward with sports." 

Hainline added that "everything would have to line up perfectly" for fall sports, including football to be played. 

As it is, few conferences are moving forward with fall athletics. The NCAA has canceled all fall championships for Division I, Division II and Division III. However, the FBS is not part of the NCAA's postseason, meaning its decisions do not directly affected by its governing body. Six FBS conferences -- the AAC, ACC, Big 12, Conference USA, SEC and Sun Belt -- are moving forward with their own plans for football. The two biggest conferences eschewing a 2020 football season for the spring are the Big Ten and Pac-12. However, the Big Ten has come under intense scrutiny for its decision to postpone football with many critics citing a lack of transparency and consistent messaging. A petition, led by Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields, is the latest push to get the Big Ten to reverse its decision and reinstate a fall season. 

Those conferences moving forward with football have also announced stricter guidelines for testing athletes. The SEC, for example, will test players at least twice a week while exploring the option of a third test. 

The biggest potential development came when the Food and Drug Administration approved a saliva testing method from Yale that could provide faster and more accurate results, a step that many conference presidents, chancellors and commissioners had hoped for over the summer. However, only that method has been approved. 

College football is scheduled to kick off at various points in September, with the ACC beginning on Sept. 7 while the Big 12 and SEC are starting their seasons on Sept. 12 and Sept. 26, respectively. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaas-top-doctor-says-more-testing-needed-or-theres-no-way-we-can-go-forward-with-sports/

8 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Politics- big ten and pac 12 hoped the rest would fall in line, love it! Sit back and watch, libs wanna live in horror and destroy everything if it gets trump outta office ... watch how much this is a non issue of Biden wins 

Not too many modern Libs care one bit about football to begin with.

There are a lot of other threads on this board in which to discuss politics, libs, Trump, etc. I hope we have football this Fall, and many outstanding questions relating to the virus, spread on college campuses, impact on college-age kids, etc. will be answered over the next month.

I found out last night that a coworker is in ICU. Not too much older than the athletes we're discussing. The suggestion that covid will be a non-issue after November 3, or that two college athletics conferences postponing their seasons is an elaborate attempt to hurt Donald Trump is ridiculous and offensive. 

6 hours ago, DawgBone said:

There are a lot of other threads on this board in which to discuss politics, libs, Trump, etc. I hope we have football this Fall, and many outstanding questions relating to the virus, spread on college campuses, impact on college-age kids, etc. will be answered over the next month.

I found out last night that a coworker is in ICU. Not too much older than the athletes we're discussing. The suggestion that covid will be a non-issue after November 3, or that two college athletics conferences postponing their seasons is an elaborate attempt to hurt Donald Trump is ridiculous and offensive. 

Thank you. I very specifically ignored the political posts because some of us care about the fallout. There's a thread on Anything But Football that's pretty much just about the politics. Let's keep this one focused on the subject.

On 8/18/2020 at 7:19 PM, SacFalcFan said:

The surgeon general spoke to the bama football team.. 

You are very lucky to have the resources at the Alabama Athletic department... your risk in practice is lower than what it would be out in the community" - Jerome M. Adams,

Surgeon General of the United States

If only there was a bubble for NCAA football players.

On 8/16/2020 at 10:48 PM, Dawgfanbrock said:

Politics- big ten and pac 12 hoped the rest would fall in line, love it! Sit back and watch, libs wanna live in horror and destroy everything if it gets trump outta office ... watch how much this is a non issue of Biden wins 

Politics are the reason this is still out of hand. If the guy that you probably consider a genius would have took matters serious, and stop proving that he's an idiot. Things could start to return to normal. This isn't a liberal/conservative issue. 

4 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Politics are the reason this is still out of hand. If the guy that you probably consider a genius would have took matters serious, and stop proving that he's an idiot. Things could start to return to normal. This isn't a liberal/conservative issue. 

I disagree with you on this not being poitical.. it most definitely is.. However let's all not get into this anymore than we have.. Let's just focus on the information coming out regarding the season starting or not.. that goes for both sides of this.. :)   Right now it looks like we have a real shot to have a football season and the numbers we are seeing nationally is very encouraging regarding covid..  I can't wait til we start the season in a month..