What are the chances Dan Quinn becomes an excellent head coach one day?

19 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Anyone who thinks Quinn is too stubborn or stuck in his own way is ignoring the entire 2019 season. From week 1 he humbled himself and sought outside help. First with the game management consultant, then to fix the penalties, and then the playcalling.

The entire season was Quinn being humble enough to say "hey, maybe I dont have the answer, but I will do whatever I can to find out. "

he should have been fired!

On 7/9/2020 at 7:35 AM, MAD597 said:

None, he has not grown very much as a coach and still has all the same problems he always had with time management. 

Agree. Nor has he made any headway in areas like tackling, eliminating stupid penalties, hiring OC's who have a clue about the scheme we run, second-half adjustments, etc., etc.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:10 AM, FalconsIn2012 said:

I honestly would not be surprised if he gets back on track this year and leads this team to the playoffs

If the team gets back on track and gets to the play-offs this season Quinn will be on the train, but it will be like 2016, he'll be a passenger, not the engineer. :lol:

7 hours ago, Osiruz said:

DQ wants to learn and he is young with no ego which is the great thing about him other than his eye for talent. If he can learn how to manage the clock, and how to get the nuances of an excellent run defense / putting on a run game down I can see him take the next step. The NFL is all about how well you can run the ball and get the backs involved. 

How about this idea: hire a head coach who already knows how to do these most basic requirements of being a head coach. How does that sound?

If he can't--- in your own words---

manage the clock, and how to get the nuances of an excellent run defense / putting on a run game down

---after SIX FRIKKING YEARS!!! then when WILL he learn? How many more seasons will swirl down the drain due to CCQ's ineptitude, incompetence, and lack of basic coaching skills and abilities? There are coaches out there capable of these coaching necessities.

21 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

How about this idea: hire a head coach who already knows how to do these most basic requirements of being a head coach. How does that sound?

If he can't--- in your own words---

---after SIX FRIKKING YEARS!!! then when WILL he learn? How many more seasons will swirl down the drain due to CCQ's ineptitude, incompetence, and lack of basic coaching skills and abilities? There are coaches out there capable of these coaching necessities.

Loaded question, 

You are assuming every coach is born perfect. 

On 7/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, falken said:

He did take his team to a Super Bowl in year 2. (Yea, epic meltdown, I know) But we steamrolled the mighty Seahawks and the effing Green Bay Packers to get there. 

In the last three years only 4 HC's have been to a Super Bowl and Quinn was one of them.

Don't throw the baby away with the dish water just yet, Quinn is a winner.

And then the following season went to the playoffs, embarrassed the highest scoring team on the road in the playoffs, and was within a stone's throw of making it back to the NFCCG with a rookie OC.

He's made some boneheaded decisions, but DQ is not the fool some make him out to be. Dude has a winning record in the playoffs.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:43 PM, takeitdown said:

He isn't really a strategist.  He doesn't figure out how to make his team take advantage of the other teams weaknesses, in general.

Most the good coaches specialize in that.  It's what gives their team a leg up each week.  A slight advantage.

Quinn seems to be a good leader of men, and that counts, but you need to be able to put them in the best position to succeed, and for that you need to be able to scheme around what the other team does (generally.)

Seems like a likeable enough guy, but I'd be surprised if he ever becomes a top guy.  Then again, I said the same about Tomlin.

This is absolutely correct, but you can win both ways. I wouldn't call Pete Carroll a strategist either, but he surrounded himself with great coaches and personnel. Quinn is literally copying that model, and was a victim of his own success. Quinn's biggest downfall was his pride in retaining Shanahan disciples. Had he done that, I doubt that this would even be a conversation.

With that being said, the only way to future-proof your team is to hire a strategist. They know their system as good (if not better) than their coordinators, so it doesn't matter as much if staff leaves. This is what makes Belichick, Sean Peyton, and Andy Reid so good. I was hoping for that defensively with Quinn, but it's now obvious that his success as a coordinator in Seattle was due to a unique blend of talent that was perfect for the cover 3/ 4-3 under.

I rewatched both GB games and the Seattle playoff game of 2016. How dominant that offense was gave the illusion that the defense really stepped up under Quinn. It didn't play bad, but the fact of the matter is the Shanahan offense was putting opposing offenses in a position where they had to be perfect just to match. Add to that the collapse in the Superbowl. The net outcome was the Shanahan was the bad type of goat that season and Quinn became a coach that had unrealistic hope attached to him.

I got buried in a thread for stating I wasn't sold on Quinn the week before the Superbowl. I stand by that. I don't think he's a bad coach, but I also do think he is the type of coach to lift a team to play beyond its collective talent. In other words, Shanahan was out coaching everyone in the 2016 post season and Dan Quinn's defense was put in a beautiful "all gas, no breaks" situation. 

Quinn is a different coach on defense when supported by a great QB, great play makers,  and a great offensive mind on the other side of the ball. That isn't bad. It just means he's not great on a stand alone bases.

All the rambling aside, the team can win a championship with him leading. He's not a great asset, but he's  no huge liability either. But, honestly, sometimes I feel that he is just good enough that Blank can't risk letting him go in  hopes of finding someone better. Ironically, that is the same argument many fans have about Ryan. Let's be honest though...Dan Quinn is no Matt Ryan.

1 hour ago, djbrough said:

This is absolutely correct, but you can win both ways. I wouldn't call Pete Carroll a strategist either, but he surrounded himself with great coaches and personnel. Quinn is literally copying that model, and was a victim of his own success. Quinn's biggest downfall was his pride in retaining Shanahan disciples. Had he done that, I doubt that this would even be a conversation.

With that being said, the only way to future-proof your team is to hire a strategist. They know their system as good (if not better) than their coordinators, so it doesn't matter as much if staff leaves. This is what makes Belichick, Sean Peyton, and Andy Reid so good. I was hoping for that defensively with Quinn, but it's now obvious that his success as a coordinator in Seattle was due to a unique blend of talent that was perfect for the cover 3/ 4-3 under.

Yeah, I was going to say I buy that if he had kept a top 10 defense.  The way around being a great strategist is if you have a user friendly low cost (draft position) style of play and you can spot talent to fit it.  If Quinn had been able to do this on D, then he'd be good enough to be a solid coach.  But he has been obviously unable to do that.

Seattle has completely retooled and remained good on D, while we've never really been able to create a solid D.

I just don't see what the special thing is that he brings.

The jury on Dan Quinn is still out. NFL history is actually full of coaches who took a while (and sometimes multiple jobs) to find their way in the NFL. Now, I know it's just as likely Quinn is what he is, an average head coach who's better served as a positional coach. But I'll cite two coaches who are routinely praised on this message board, Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick.

• Bill Belichick = First 6 Seasons as NFL Head Coach = 41-55 with 1 winning season and 1 playoff appearance.
  • Pete Carroll = First 6 Seasons as NFL Head Coach = 47-49 with 2 winning seasons and 3 playoff appearances.

If Belichick and Carroll were judged and hanged on their first 6 seasons as an NFL head coach with stints with multiple NFL teams they would have never continued on as head coach anywhere else. But they did and both eventually won Super Bowls. Belichick's first Super Bowl title came in year 7. Carroll's first Super Bowl title came in year 8.

In fact, if we look at how long it took for coaches that won the Super Bowl to finally win it I think you'd be surprised at the list and how long it took some coaches.

• Andy Reid = 21st Year
  • Bill Cowher = 14th Year
  • Tom Coughlin = 12th Year
  • Tom Landry = 12th Year (11th year won the NFL championship but lost the Super Bowl)
  • Tony Dungy = 11th Year
  • Don Shula = 10th Year (6th year won the NFL championship but lost the Super Bowl)
  • D!ck Vermeil = 10th Year
  • Pete Carroll = 8th Year
  • Bill Belichick = 7th Year
  • Chuck Noll = 6th Year

Some coaches coach forever with loads of success but never win the big one. The two most famous are Dan Reeves and Marty Schottenheimer. Both won over 200 regular season games as NFL head coaches but never won the big one. Reeves bosts an 0-4 Super Bowl record while Schottenheimer never even made it to the Super Bowl.

I think last year may have been the humbling experience Dan Quinn needed to finally learn his lesson and realize that being an NFL head coach is about trusting the coaches you've hired to do their jobs and to do them well, mainly on the defensive side of the ball. It had to be a real humbling experience to him to be in total charge of the defense and see it getting absolutely shredding up and down the field week in and week out. When he let Raheem Morris and Jeff Ulbrich take over the defense and he get out of the way and let them just do their jobs we saw a massive turn around on that side of the ball. It was the first time since Quinn has been head coach that he's allowed the defense to be run by the defensive coaches. Every other year Quinn had his hand in the mix on that side of the ball and it took away from his abilities as head coach. There's a reason very few successful NFL head coaches are also coordinators or have their hands in the mix on one side of the ball or the other. It's because it's extremely difficult to make good in-game decisions when you've got too much on your plate. How can you pay attention to what's going on on the field and draw up defensive formations and make adjustments on the fly at the same time? Oh wait, you can't. It's impossible to do both at the same time. That folks is how you end up 1-7.

Someone mentioned we haven't seen much growth in Quinn's decision making but I think we've seen some growth. The last half of the season he made better decisions on things like when to go for it or when to punt and things of that nature. He was a part of righting the ship to the 6-2 run to finish the season. 2020 is definitely the make or break year for Quinn and I've got high hopes. I think the Falcons will fly high this year, I honestly do. All the pieces are in place to make some noise and make a lot of it.

3 hours ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, I was going to say I buy that if he had kept a top 10 defense.  The way around being a great strategist is if you have a user friendly low cost (draft position) style of play and you can spot talent to fit it.  If Quinn had been able to do this on D, then he'd be good enough to be a solid coach.  But he has been obviously unable to do that.

Seattle has completely retooled and remained good on D, while we've never really been able to create a solid D.

I just don't see what the special thing is that he brings.

This is simply not true. Last year the Seahawks gave up 398 points or 24.9 PPG and ranked 22nd in the NFL in scoring defense.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:57 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

This will be Dan Quinn's 6th season as head coach. What do you think is the likelihood Dan Quinn learns from his mistakes and becomes one of the better head coaches in football? Do you feel like he is close to getting it right? Or do you think he's too stubborn? Too out of touch? 

Slim and none... And slim just left town. 

Idk if anyone is capable of rehabbing a career after coughing up a 28-3 lead in the second half of the most important and celebrated game of the year.

The look of abject bewilderment, nausea, resignation and ultimately defeat  as victory was slipping through his hands is for the ages. You just don't recover from that. He is the luckiest guy in the world. He could very easily have been fired after that game and looking for employment at Valdosta State (maybe after a good recommendation) after that epic loss. 

On 7/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

The jury on Dan Quinn is still out. NFL history is actually full of coaches who took a while (and sometimes multiple jobs) to find their way in the NFL. Now, I know it's just as likely Quinn is what he is, an average head coach who's better served as a positional coach. But I'll cite two coaches who are routinely praised on this message board, Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick.

• Bill Belichick = First 6 Seasons as NFL Head Coach = 41-55 with 1 winning season and 1 playoff appearance.
  • Pete Carroll = First 6 Seasons as NFL Head Coach = 47-49 with 2 winning seasons and 3 playoff appearances.

If Belichick and Carroll were judged and hanged on their first 6 seasons as an NFL head coach with stints with multiple NFL teams they would have never continued on as head coach anywhere else. But they did and both eventually won Super Bowls. Belichick's first Super Bowl title came in year 7. Carroll's first Super Bowl title came in year 8.

In fact, if we look at how long it took for coaches that won the Super Bowl to finally win it I think you'd be surprised at the list and how long it took some coaches.

• Andy Reid = 21st Year
  • Bill Cowher = 14th Year
  • Tom Coughlin = 12th Year
  • Tom Landry = 12th Year (11th year won the NFL championship but lost the Super Bowl)
  • Tony Dungy = 11th Year
  • Don Shula = 10th Year (6th year won the NFL championship but lost the Super Bowl)
  • D!ck Vermeil = 10th Year
  • Pete Carroll = 8th Year
  • Bill Belichick = 7th Year
  • Chuck Noll = 6th Year

Some coaches coach forever with loads of success but never win the big one. The two most famous are Dan Reeves and Marty Schottenheimer. Both won over 200 regular season games as NFL head coaches but never won the big one. Reeves bosts an 0-4 Super Bowl record while Schottenheimer never even made it to the Super Bowl.

I think last year may have been the humbling experience Dan Quinn needed to finally learn his lesson and realize that being an NFL head coach is about trusting the coaches you've hired to do their jobs and to do them well, mainly on the defensive side of the ball. It had to be a real humbling experience to him to be in total charge of the defense and see it getting absolutely shredding up and down the field week in and week out. When he let Raheem Morris and Jeff Ulbrich take over the defense and he get out of the way and let them just do their jobs we saw a massive turn around on that side of the ball. It was the first time since Quinn has been head coach that he's allowed the defense to be run by the defensive coaches. Every other year Quinn had his hand in the mix on that side of the ball and it took away from his abilities as head coach. There's a reason very few successful NFL head coaches are also coordinators or have their hands in the mix on one side of the ball or the other. It's because it's extremely difficult to make good in-game decisions when you've got too much on your plate. How can you pay attention to what's going on on the field and draw up defensive formations and make adjustments on the fly at the same time? Oh wait, you can't. It's impossible to do both at the same time. That folks is how you end up 1-7.

Someone mentioned we haven't seen much growth in Quinn's decision making but I think we've seen some growth. The last half of the season he made better decisions on things like when to go for it or when to punt and things of that nature. He was a part of righting the ship to the 6-2 run to finish the season. 2020 is definitely the make or break year for Quinn and I've got high hopes. I think the Falcons will fly high this year, I honestly do. All the pieces are in place to make some noise and make a lot of it.

I think he knew that early on, but then he got let down majorly by Kyle in the biggest game of his head coaching career thus far. You figure one of the brightest OCs in the league would know to run the ball in the situation they were in, and that didn't happen. That probably played a factor in the decision to let both Manuel and Sark go after the 2018 season.

3 hours ago, The Smart One said:

I put the odds of Quinn becoming a good Head Coach at 0%. Sure he’s a good hype man but he’s a poor strategist and a poor manager of his coaching staff. That leads to underwhelming results. Hype with underwhelming results is just BS and players tune out BS coaches. 

If a guy can't win a Superbowl with a 25-point lead, he's a lost cause.  0% is the only smart answer 😂