Jump to content

Do we have what it takes?


Recommended Posts

Regarding the Eagles recent SB win. Their fans, a few of whom I know, had NO idea that they were going to be winning a Super Bowl that season, especially when Wentz went down. It appears their OL and Defense were the catalysts and Foles miraculously played the very best football of his career.
 

We could see a huge jump on the OL and Defense this season. McGary could emerge. Lindstrom may end up being a premiere guard. Mack and Matthews may remain steady. And an above average performing LG may emerge from Brown, Gono, Carpenter and Hennessy. Our defense has upside with proven studs, Deion Jones and Grady Jarrett. Players who have played at a high level recently in Fowler and Neal. Solid veterans in Rico, Bailey, Kazee and Davison. And then we’ll all be curious to see how the rest of the young and talented players develop this season; McKinley, Davidson, Cominsky, Oluokun, Oliver, Sheffield, Terrell.
 

There are lots of if’s and’s and but’s, but our SB win may be one that we don’t see coming, even late in the season. Add a step forward on the OL and D to our offensive skill players, and we may indeed have what it takes. We all have our doubts about Koeter. I sure hope he proves us wrong.

Edited by FalconBlood
Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is one guy who needs to prove anything, it’s DQ. Not worried about the offense. 
Kazee isn’t veteran, Rico isn’t a Great single high safety. Bailey had terrible year in 2019. Davison, Grady, Debo are all good. I love our second round pick. This team needs a Veteran Edge rusher  and CB. If the 2018 and 2019 Falcons D from first 8 games shows up. Even 2016 offense won’t win games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two huge question marks for me....I’m worried about McGary I rewatched the games he played and he looked awful at times, slow and like in was running in concrete. I think Sheffield will be much improved but he was pretty bad at times and so was Oliver. AJ Terrell needs to be a day one starter and prove he’s worth a 1st rd pick. So there you have it RT and LC. Plus for some reason the Falcons and a pass rush don’t go together...hopefully this is the year.

Edited by Atl Falcon
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Two huge question marks for me....I’m worried about McGary I rewatched the games he played and he looked awful at times, slow and like in was running in concrete. I think Sheffield will be much improved but he was pretty bad at times and so was Oliver. AJ Terrell needs to be a day one starter and prove he’s worth a 1st rd pick. So there you have it RT and LC. Plus for some reason the Falcons and a pass rush don’t go together...hopefully this is the year.

We have a lot of young corners.  I would love to see them grow and develop together so they can earn an awesome nickname in the league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

Two huge question marks for me....I’m worried about McGary I rewatched the games he played and he looked awful at times, slow and like in was running in concrete. I think Sheffield will be much improved but he was pretty bad at times and so was Oliver. AJ Terrell needs to be a day one starter and prove he’s worth a 1st rd pick. So there you have it RT and LC. Plus for some reason the Falcons and a pass rush don’t go together...hopefully this is the year.

This really shouldn't surprise anyone. Pass protection was McGary's weakness coming into the league. Some felt he was better suited for guard. I felt like this pick meant the Falcons were going to run the football... hasn't happened so far.

The Falcons haven't had a legit pass rusher since John Abraham sadly. Hopefully the one year wonder Fowler is legit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Two huge question marks for me....I’m worried about McGary I rewatched the games he played and he looked awful at times, slow and like in was running in concrete. I think Sheffield will be much improved but he was pretty bad at times and so was Oliver. AJ Terrell needs to be a day one starter and prove he’s worth a 1st rd pick. So there you have it RT and LC. Plus for some reason the Falcons and a pass rush don’t go together...hopefully this is the year.

I’d add LG and possibly SLB to your list of RT and LCB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a playmaker in the secondary and consistent play from the other DBs. If we can guard receivers to the point that QBs are making third and fourth reads, it'll give our line a chance to get sacks. I don't know if we have that guy but IMO, it's whats absolutely necessary to get to the next level. WIth that being said, the O-line has to give Gurley a lane and protect Ryan. I think we're going to see a heavy load of blitzes this season to keep a fullback in and a third WR out of the game. We can't have the line looking like a sieve again.

Do we have what it takes? Beats me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we are going to find out this year if we have what it takes. 

This virus is not going away and a cure looks to be 2021 at the earliest. Even if they start playing teams are going to lose players due to the virus. Lack of being in football shape will lead to more injuries.

Also if fans are not allowed to attend it just doesn't seem right to play in an empty stadium. The players play for the money but they also feed off the fans enthusiasm. 

Hope I'm wrong but football may not be back until 2021. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AvidFalconFan said:

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we are going to find out this year if we have what it takes. 

This virus is not going away and a cure looks to be 2021 at the earliest. Even if they start playing teams are going to lose players due to the virus. Lack of being in football shape will lead to more injuries.

Also if fans are not allowed to attend it just doesn't seem right to play in an empty stadium. The players play for the money but they also feed off the fans enthusiasm. 

Hope I'm wrong but football may not be back until 2021. 

I agree there is a definite threat to the season as long as covid-19 cases are still happening on a large scale. The irony of course is the number of cases showing up belies the fatality rate of about .06 for the virus. In other words, if you're not old and sickly, your chance of the virus having a significant impact on your health is negligible.

If the season is played, the main issue is which players will get a bad enough case to miss more than one or two games. If your QB comes down with a bad case and misses two or three games, that could definitely screw your play-off chances. Same for any of your top talented players to a lesser extent.

For fans, the threat of catching the virus from another fan in the stands ~ regardless of the distance between fans ~ is there, but again, unless you're in the high-fatality rate group, covid-19 is not that dire of a threat that you can't go and watch  a football game if that's what you want to do. If the league is going to play, they ought to establish a waiver policy and allow fans willing to accept the risk to watch the games. They don't seem willing to do that, so to your point, is it worth even playing? I'd still like to see the season play out, but the players might not feel it's worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

I agree there is a definite threat to the season as long as covid-19 cases are still happening on a large scale. The irony of course is the number of cases showing up belies the fatality rate of about .06 for the virus. In other words, if you're not old and sickly, your chance of the virus having a significant impact on your health is negligible.

If the season is played, the main issue is which players will get a bad enough case to miss more than one or two games. If your QB comes down with a bad case and misses two or three games, that could definitely screw your play-off chances. Same for any of your top talented players to a lesser extent.

For fans, the threat of catching the virus from another fan in the stands ~ regardless of the distance between fans ~ is there, but again, unless you're in the high-fatality rate group, covid-19 is not that dire of a threat that you can't go and watch  a football game if that's what you want to do. If the league is going to play, they ought to establish a waiver policy and allow fans willing to accept the risk to watch the games. They don't seem willing to do that, so to your point, is it worth even playing? I'd still like to see the season play out, but the players might not feel it's worth it.

Right now, we just don't know enough about the lingering effects of Covid-19 to safely say that for sure though.

As more time goes on, we are now seeing doctors reporting on patients who were treated for covid-19 developing a number of different long-term issues. In addition to lung issues, doctors now believe the virus can have long-term effects on the brain and heart also.

Then there's the reports of people having reoccurring symptoms after the projected recovery timeframe, often much worse that the initial onset.

Also remember that initially there were thoughts that people who had it & got well developed antibodies and thus were not susceptible to catching it again (kinda like chicken pox). However, more recent studies are showing that's not necessarily the case at all, and that in a number of folks who had tested positive, the antibodies disappear after only a few weeks.

These are concerns not just for people in the high-risk category but for anyone at all, at least until we have definitive proof otherwise... and realistically speaking, we aren't likely to have any definitive answers for several more months.

So while I'd love to see a season, there's just no way I can see that happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO McGary is unlikely to be any better than an average pass blocker, overall I like where our OL is heafed though. The secondary will be very interesting to watch. If Takk turns a corner and Cominsky ends up playing as well as many of us think, that will be huge since Debo is the only LB i really trust. A good DL can help that back 7 out a ton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

IMO McGary is unlikely to be any better than an average pass blocker, overall I like where our OL is heafed though. The secondary will be very interesting to watch. If Takk turns a corner and Cominsky ends up playing as well as many of us think, that will be huge since Debo is the only LB i really trust. A good DL can help that back 7 out a ton.

And we traded back in the first to get him......that worries me. TD couldn’t afford to miss on that move and hopefully he didn’t. I haven’t given up on McGary by no means but after rewatching the games he played in I don’t have a good feeling about it. Dude was awful at times.

I do however feel good about comisky and Takk should be ok 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

And we traded back in the first to get him......that worries me. TD couldn’t afford to miss on that move and hopefully he didn’t. I haven’t given up on McGary by no means but after rewatching the games he played in I don’t have a good feeling about it. Dude was awful at times.

I do however feel good about comisky and Takk should be ok 

TD was full on "save my skin" mode. our LB situation worries me more than anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, k-train said:

Right now, we just don't know enough about the lingering effects of Covid-19 to safely say that for sure though.

As more time goes on, we are now seeing doctors reporting on patients who were treated for covid-19 developing a number of different long-term issues. In addition to lung issues, doctors now believe the virus can have long-term effects on the brain and heart also.

Then there's the reports of people having reoccurring symptoms after the projected recovery timeframe, often much worse that the initial onset.

Also remember that initially there were thoughts that people who had it & got well developed antibodies and thus were not susceptible to catching it again (kinda like chicken pox). However, more recent studies are showing that's not necessarily the case at all, and that in a number of folks who had tested positive, the antibodies disappear after only a few weeks.

These are concerns not just for people in the high-risk category but for anyone at all, at least until we have definitive proof otherwise... and realistically speaking, we aren't likely to have any definitive answers for several more months.

So while I'd love to see a season, there's just no way I can see that happening.

Agree it could easily spell the end of this season, but what are sports leagues going to do if there is no effective vaccine by next season? Just toss the towel in and wait for 2021 or maybe 2022? If people aren't allowed to go back to work immediately, you aren't going to have to worry about what sports leagues are going to do because the country will be in complete economic and social disarray by that time.

True, we don't know all there is to know about covid-19, but because a very minute percentage of the population has had lingering after-effects can not and should not derail the lives of the rest of us. That goes for work, leisure activities, going to church and not just sports.

Bruce Aryans said recently, "All the players are going to get the virus," and that I think must inevitably be said for all of us. The virus isn't going to disappear no matter how long we try to stay isolated. A vaccine (make that vaccines since we're talking about multiple strains) could well be years away, not just months. 

There's simply no way our country can survive economically if we don't stop hiding under the bed and waiting while these vaccines are being developed. We have never attempted mass isolation with previous flu pandemics and it's clear that it hasn't worked with this one and won't work in the next ones to come in the future.

Whatever potential bad effects that covid-19 may have that are not yet known, trying to avoid it is an exercise in futility. Finally, as many have said, you can't have a "cure" that's worse than the disease and continued efforts to maintain quarantine will create that exact scenario.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...