School will be starting in a few weeks. What are you going to do Parents?

School and COVID19  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you letting your kids go back to school in person in the fall?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Better start pumpin

I'm betting most parents don't even have a choice due to financial constraints.  Not like Kemp is going to help them out.

Pump your brakes right there. We weren’t sitting home playing video games all day by choice. We were forced out of work due to the situation. It impacted my job first hand because our airbags go into

17 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I'm betting most parents don't even have a choice due to financial constraints.  Not like Kemp is going to help them out.

We’re beyond fortunate. Don’t try to live above our means or like the next family. Wifey has been working weekends only the past 5 years. If families really don’t feel comfortable then sacrifices just have to be made. If they don’t want to sacrifice something then they have to risk and pray for the best

We are going to have our kid school from home for at least the 1st qtr, our school district is offering home schooling as an option and you need to commit to it 9 weeks at a time. Luckily we have the choice as I work from home now and my wife is a stay at home mom.

People without this choice are going to be forced to put their kids in school and the spread is going to sky rocket. We have not even hit peak now and kids are out of school. Our country blew it, we had a chance to get this under control before schools started and we completely blew it.

Posted (edited)

My wife is a SPED & IRR educator. They'll have to make accommodations for her by law as she has a debilitating autoimmune disease that can will worsen with COVID OR she will have to teach virtually. My son is staying home because his school system is shut down for an indefinite length of time.

Cobb County School District goes as Kemp goes.

Edited by Halcon-1
5 minutes ago, Flip Flop said:

My son homeschooled before COVID-19, so, we’ll be doing the same thing.  

I don’t get why home school is so frowned upon. The biggest complaint I see is children not having friends and a social life outside of home. If that’s the case that’s the parents fault

20 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I don’t get why home school is so frowned upon. The biggest complaint I see is children not having friends and a social life outside of home. If that’s the case that’s the parents fault

Ive known a lot of homeschooled kids. They're usually weird. My medical school was full of them, and without fail, after talking to them for 10 or so minutes you could pick out the homeschooled kids almost without fail. Obviously its not every single homeschooled kid, but more often than not if they are homeschooled you will know.

Nothing malicious, but there are things you learn in school settings(public and private) that shape the way you behave even as an adult. Just....social cues that you pick up on even if you are a weirdo(Like I was).

19 minutes ago, Forever Julian said:

Ive known a lot of homeschooled kids. They're usually weird. My medical school was full of them, and without fail, after talking to them for 10 or so minutes you could pick out the homeschooled kids almost without fail. Obviously its not every single homeschooled kid, but more often than not if they are homeschooled you will know.

Nothing malicious, but there are things you learn in school settings(public and private) that shape the way you behave even as an adult. Just....social cues that you pick up on even if you are a weirdo(Like I was).

Maybe a weirdo to you but perfectly normal to someone else. Depends on how you particularly judge other individuals. I work with one and it took him a while to get adjusted to being around people he didnt know but that's because his parents kept him away from other people. Of course you're gonna come off odd to people if you're noticed to being around other people. All I cared about was whether or not he could learn his job, which he did lol. 

As I've mentioned time and time, theres more than enough ways to keep kids interactive with other children. If parents choose to simply shelter their child for all of those years then they have failed their child. There's more than enough programs out there that allows kids to interact with other kids minus the judgement they receive in a school setting. 

On 7/4/2020 at 7:34 PM, ya_boi_j said:

It’s the parents fault in the case of traditionally schooled kids as well.  All the responsibility for a child’s education is on the  parents. If your child grows adulthood without the necessary skills, academic, vocational, or social, That’s on you my friend. 

3 hours ago, Invincible said:

Some people are not or cannot be good teachers for their children for a variety of reasons. If the "program" or lack thereof doesn't properly educate or prepare the child for the real world, then you've massively set back the child and their ability to advance in the real world. 

I personally never thought it was the schools responsibility to teach a child how to be responsible and prepare them for adulthood. Then again maybe I was brought up different. 

Also, there are schools with trained teachers who teach every grade online. If you know you aren’t fit to try to teach a child there’s always another option

7 hours ago, Flip Flop said:

It’s the parents fault in the case of traditionally schooled kids as well.  All the responsibility for a child’s education is on the  parents. If your child grows adulthood without the necessary skills, academic, vocational, or social, That’s on you my friend. 

Completely agree. 

Honestly the best thing is to home school. Get the mothers back in the house and raising the children instead of someone else. Both parents that work on average have kids that spend more time with a non family member than they do with their own family. I don’t make a killing my any means, but my wife doesn’t work and homeschools our daughter. She’s also involved in softball and basketball and has tons of friends so she still has a social life. Also, makes for less crowded vacations since we can basically go when we want

7 hours ago, Invincible said:

Some people are not or cannot be good teachers for their children for a variety of reasons. If the "program" or lack thereof doesn't properly educate or prepare the child for the real world, then you've massively set back the child and their ability to advance in the real world. 

Anyone can be a good teacher. ABEKA come with Parent books that you teach out of. Most parents these days just “don’t want to bothered” by their kids and it’s sad. You’d rather have a complete stranger being the majority influence on your child’s upbringing. 8 hours at school, another hour or 2 at home doing homework. Most parents get home about 6. That leaves dinner (1 hour) and maybe 2 hours before bedtime at 9-10. 40hrs of school vs 15hrs interaction time...and that’s if you spent ever minute after work with your kid

On 7/4/2020 at 7:34 PM, ya_boi_j said:

There are tons of homeschool networks for other social interaction. There is sports as well. But then most schools systems punish homeschoolers by not allowing them to play for the school. Luckily the Tebow Bill is being pushed. Homeschool parents pay taxes for school as well, they have the right to play for their zoned school. Florida is one of a few states that allows that, that is why Tebow was allowed to play HS football

Took the toddler back to daycare this morning.  We both sanitized our hands and temperatures were taken before we were allowed in.  I wore a mask.  They have two entrances set up now, one for the parent to enter and walk child to the door of their classroom, and the other for parent to drop child off and he/she is walked to their classroom by staff.  I'm going to walk her in to her class for at least this week, it's been nearly four months since she's been.  She was a trooper, definitely had that wide-eyed look, but she didn't get scared or upset when I left.  She needs the structure, socialization, and learning again desperately.  It did not look like many kids were in the classes that I passed. 

I'm sitting here in my office with a knot in my stomach and tears welling up in my eyes. I don't know if they'll even stay open a month the way the numbers are trending.