Do you think that Steve Sarkisian would have gone on to be a great offensive coordinator if the Falcons would have given him more time?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great? I dunno know about that. But he improved quite a bit in his play calling in year 2.    I said it at the time, it was a mistake letting Sark and Manuel go. As last year showed, they weren

Sark was a victim of drops in his first year. Still finished 8th in total yards. In his second year he was 10th in points and 6th in yards. Probably should have been given a third year.

I have been one of his biggest detractors, but Sarks system works. Even Saban mentioned, I think last year, that Sarks system relies on tough power running. Well, his back was Freeman. All sizes don’t

22 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Wheels came of for Sark with 3 straight losses to Bills and Dolphins at home and then NE Sunday night football dominating win to go 3-3. His red zone and goal line calls were awful.

It was just odd to say the least that LaFleur was not even considered,  along with silence from franchise. Almost like he was not qualified in their eyes.

Text book way of how you do not continue historical dominance of offense organizational wise.

Or it could have been that they knew he was going to be getting HC offers soon and didn't want to go through the same thing they did with Shanny?

21 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

What has he done to show he's a great offensive mind? Nothing I saw from him when he was actual OC in Tennessee and called the plays nor last year in Green Bay "wow's" me. Until he does something of note folks gonna have to get off that train.

Well 13-3 as a head coach is of note wouldn't you say? Point of OP was hiring from within. At end of day its not as if a bunch of over the hill old timers were behind offense coaching staff. If anything for the sake of continuity, and in hindsight 2 guys walked out the door without so much as a dinner at Blanks who had a 26-6 coaching record last year.

Pay both whatever it costs. Obviously it was a mistake letting them leave. If ATL had competent reporters this question as to why this happened would have been asked.

1 hour ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Well 13-3 as a head coach is of note wouldn't you say? Point of OP was hiring from within. At end of day its not as if a bunch of over the hill old timers were behind offense coaching staff. If anything for the sake of continuity, and in hindsight 2 guys walked out the door without so much as a dinner at Blanks who had a 26-6 coaching record last year.

Pay both whatever it costs. Obviously it was a mistake letting them leave. If ATL had competent reporters this question as to why this happened would have been asked.

His offense was ranked 15th while his defense was ranked 9th. We outscored their offense by 5 points with Koetter calling plays.

This is like saying Quinn was responsible for the 2016 offense and record.

35 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

His offense was ranked 15th while his defense was ranked 9th. We outscored their offense by 5 points with Koetter calling plays.

This is like saying Quinn was responsible for the 2016 offense and record.

I know you cant be questioning what he did in 2016, or what he did last year for coaching chops. Are you serious?

Point of comment is hiring from within after 2016. LeFleur as well.  It was a mistake and how can this be debatable of not being a horrible organizational decision that is more fruitful than Sark  then and Koetter now? And when I say horrible organizational decision I mean they didn't even try.

2 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

I know you cant be questioning what he did in 2016, or what he did last year for coaching chops. Are you serious?

Point of comment is hiring from within after 2016. LeFleur as well.  It was a mistake and how can this be debatable of not being a horrible organizational decision that is more fruitful than Sark  then and Koetter now? And when I say horrible organizational decision I mean they didn't even try.

Even if we did hire Lefleur in 2017, we're replacing him in 2019 anyway. You seemed to have glossed over that. He left for a HC gig that he wasn't getting here.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Even if we did hire Lefleur in 2017, we're replacing him in 2019 anyway. You seemed to have glossed over that. He left for a HC gig that he wasn't getting here.

Are you saying that:

1- Its OK to not have possible continuity after 2016 historical offensive production by keeping In house coaches?

2- Its OK to allow not one but 2 under 40 coaches who were directly responsible for 2016 offensive production leave without even a peep from franchise on their willingness to have them stay as.. I don't know maybe highest paying coordinator jobs in NFL?

3- Quinn is a better coach than either?

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think he’d done a bit more than Sark at the time.

If the Falcons were really serious it was one of 2 things had to happen.

1.Stick with continuity let either Lafleur or McDaniel continue to run a version of KSs offense.

2.Swing hard for thee best WCO coordinator available.

Unfortunately we went for option 3 bring in a guy with zero pro experience.I’d say right there Quinn’s decision cost us 2 years.The window is closed.

Now we have Koetter and the merry go round of average continues.In all essence we have lost 3 seasons on 2 poor decisions and a HC we hope has turned the corner and are waiting for an OC to use the talent to its best ability.

This is where the Falcons are at right now rinse wash repeating fail all while rinsing years out of probably the best QB the franchise has ever had and one of thee best weapons in the league Julio Jones laying waste to everyone for not much.

Didn't the Falcons attempt to hire Gary Kubiak and were denied the right to talk to him by Elway?

3 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Did you watch Green Bay play any last year? They won because of their defense. Their offense was very average last year. In fact, the Falcons scored more points in 2019 than the Packers did. Falcons scored 381 points and the Packers scored 376. In 2018 when he was OC of the Titans they scored only 310 points. Matt LaFluer is not this offensive genuis people seem to think he is. The Falcons the two years with Sark running the show scored 414 and 353 points. So explain to me again how Sark was the problem and why he "rightly" got fired?

11 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

If we kept LaFleur, it is likely that we also would have kept his brother and McDaniel.  Al three will be HC’s this time next year. 

17 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Did you watch Green Bay play any last year? They won because of their defense. Their offense was very average last year. In fact, the Falcons scored more points in 2019 than the Packers did. Falcons scored 381 points and the Packers scored 376. In 2018 when he was OC of the Titans they scored only 310 points. Matt LaFluer is not this offensive genuis people seem to think he is. The Falcons the two years with Sark running the show scored 414 and 353 points. So explain to me again how Sark was the problem and why he "rightly" got fired?

I got it. You do not see the logic of keeping 2 coaches whom were in house 2016 that went 26-6 as head coaches last year.

Who said Sark "rightly" got fired? Go handle that with them if you need that explanation.

My comment was the agreement with OP of hiring in house with 2 coaches whom have thrived since leaving, whom if stayed in their positions from 2016, would have to believe that we/they would have continued to thrive. We didn't even try and that bothers me as  a fan.

7 hours ago, AndySG said:

Sark was fine until it came to the red zone. Then he just panicked and had no creativity whatsoever. I don’t think it was the wrong decision to get rid of him but bringing Koetter back was always going to be a disaster. 

Sark's offense was ranked 10th in the league in red zone scoring (TD Only) in 2018 at 64.0%.

Second highest in Ryan era to only Shanny in 2016 at 64.56%

7 hours ago, AndySG said:

Sark was fine until it came to the red zone. Then he just panicked and had no creativity whatsoever. I don’t think it was the wrong decision to get rid of him but bringing Koetter back was always going to be a disaster. 

Very good point... That's the truth.... For that reason alone I wanted him replaced.  But for his sake,,   and not here to take up for his self,, I'll say he would have and probably has by now learned a big lesson on how to finish a game and what to do when he got close to the end zone.

7 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Very good point... That's the truth.... For that reason alone I wanted him replaced.  But for his sake,,   and not here to take up for his self,, I'll say he would have and probably has by now learned a big lesson on how to finish a game and what to do when he got close to the end zone.

Both of you are clueless. Sark was 10th in RZ scoring in 2018. Second highest in the Ryan era.

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Both of you are clueless. Sark was 10th in RZ scoring in 2018. Second highest in the Ryan era.

Watch this season, and you'll see how it should be done in order to make it to the playoffs....... With the O# and the D#.... ...  Better get ya popcorn ready !!