Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think that Steve Sarkisian would have gone on to be a great offensive coordinator if the Falcons would have given him more time?

I would’ve felt so... I think the 3rd year he would’ve killed it on the aerial end. As far as the running game? I don’t know but we drafted two pretty good o-linemen after he left and he would’ve helped them transition from college to pro game. I think he would’ve been great. We want a lot of people to come in and be Shanny Jr. But early on in his career he learned from his dad, Gary Kubiak AND Joe Gibbs.... Imagine if Sark had that amount of time with those guys?

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Great? I dunno know about that. But he improved quite a bit in his play calling in year 2. 

I said it at the time, it was a mistake letting he and Manuel go. As last year showed, they weren’t the problem. 

I was never a huge Sark fan, but with our personnel he is much better than Dirk.  Through 8 weeks in 2018 we were averaging 29 ppg while we averaged 20 ppg through 8 games last year.  

I suspect we start 3-1 under Sark in 2019

I will say i was not a real Sark fan... I thought at the time he was a bad hire...and still feel like we should have hired within instead of Sark...but to Sark's defense, he was brought in from college to run a NFL offense that was not his. He had to come in and not only learn a system that wasnt his, then had to run that system.  It really was a no win for him.  His 2nd year, it looked like he was really starting to put his stamp on the offense, but of course became the scapegoat, like Manuel, due to Quinn's incompetence as a Coach.. I often wonder how Sark would have done given a 3rd year

I have been one of his biggest detractors, but Sarks system works. Even Saban mentioned, I think last year, that Sarks system relies on tough power running. Well, his back was Freeman. All sizes don’t fit all. He didn’t have the OL, tough running, or defensive support. Stop blaming Sark. It wasn’t him.

Yes, I think he could have been great with the offense we have NOW

I wouldn’t have handed the keys to the Lamborghini to an inexperienced pro OC no no sir.Its why continuity with the system had to be the go we went the other way it is what it is.

Now we are in the vicious cycle of finding out what we are.Not taking what the talent looked like at its best in 2016 and ran with it.

Feels like to me learner driver Lambo crash and we’ve stalled for the last 3 years offensively.

He is probably better than what we have now.  However, the powers that be say we are keeping Kyle's system every year since 2016 but hire outside guys with different philosophies and expect it to work.

It's dumbfounding and sounds like we are continuing to do it this year with the talk of more outside zone earlier in the year. If you want to run Kyle's system, hire someone who can/has done it to an extent. Not a college OC and 4 vert guy who you already ran off once.

Edited by jeffro2000

14 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I wouldn’t have handed the keys to the Lamborghini to an inexperienced pro OC no no sir.Its why continuity with the system had to be the go we went the other way it is what it is.

Now we are in the vicious cycle of finding out what we are.Not taking what the talent looked like at its best in 2016 and ran with it.

Feels like to me learner driver Lambo crash and we’ve stalled for the last 3 years offensively.

Should have stayed on the path we were on from 2008-2011. Smash mouth, like your second favorite team BAL, and built a better defense. We've been through four offensive coordinators in 12 years. Here's a breakdown of the top 10 scoring offenses by OC:

• Mularkey - (3) - 2008, 2010, 2011
  • Kutty (1) - 2012
  • Shanny (1) - 2016
  • Sark (1) - 2018

Smash mouth was working. We got cute, got explosive and went pass happy like the rest of the league. Threw all our money at the offense. Only have six top 10 scoring offenses in 12 years to show for it. Half of em came in the smash mouth era.

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Should have stayed on the path we were on from 2008-2011. Smash mouth, like your second favorite team BAL, and built a better defense. We've been through four offensive coordinators in 12 years. Here's a breakdown of the top 10 scoring offenses by OC:

• Kutty (1) - 2012
  • Shanny (1) - 2016
  • Sark (1) - 2018

Smash mouth was working. We got cute, got explosive and went pass happy like the rest of the league. Threw all our money at the offense. Only have six top 10 scoring offenses in 12 years. Half of em came in the smash mouth era.

It was pretty much inevitable after we sank an entire draft into JJ. My belief is Blank wanted a fireworks, explosive offense. He puts his stamp on the team way too much!

12 minutes ago, Charles Wright said:

It was pretty much inevitable after we sank an entire draft into JJ. My belief is Blank wanted a fireworks, explosive offense. He puts his stamp on the team way too much!

Agreed. Not sure if the explosion was Blank's call, or if Dimi got puppeted, but as great as Julio is, he was not the answer in 2011. If we'd gone something like Justin Houston and DeMarco Murray in 2011, then added Kevin Zeitler in 2012 with the first round pick we lost in the Julio deal I think we could have crossed the finish line by 2012. There were plenty other options. We could have added a WR later. Go look at the leading receivers on the last 10 championship teams. None on Julio's level. Some even TEs.

1 hour ago, E. T. said:

I would like to think that Sark would have grown into a good OC. But his worse enemy was that 2016 offense and to try to duplicate that. Talk about some pressure.

1 hour ago, andrews31cain21 said:

I will say i was not a real Sark fan... I thought at the time he was a bad hire...and still feel like we should have hired within instead of Sark...but to Sark's defense, he was brought in from college to run a NFL offense that was not his. He had to come in and not only learn a system that wasnt his, then had to run that system.  It really was a no win for him.  His 2nd year, it looked like he was really starting to put his stamp on the offense, but of course became the scapegoat, like Manuel, due to Quinn's incompetence as a Coach.. I often wonder how Sark would have done given a 3rd year

I never thought it was smart to have him adopt Kyle's playbook. It's one thing to call the plays, it's something else to have all of the experience that resulted in when to call them. Kyle used a lot of feints. He'd give the same look four times in a game and if the first three were successful, he'd switch it on the fourth knowing that a team was scheming for it. It was unfair to expect Sark to duplicate his situational playcalling. It might have been unfair to Ryan to give him another new OC but in year #2, we would have been better under Sark's system than having him use Kyle's.

46 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

• Kutty (1) - 2012
  • Shanny (1) - 2016
  • Sark (1) - 2018

Smash mouth was working. We got cute, got explosive and went pass happy like the rest of the league. Threw all our money at the offense. Only have six top 10 scoring offenses in 12 years to show for it. Half of em came in the smash mouth era.

Well we could and may have but you well know after getting blasted by GB in the dome the owner wanted what he wanted.I think really we needed to be somewhere in between.By 2010ish Ryan was good enough to be in more control.08-10 we needed Turner to fast track Ryan’s development.

For me in today’s NFL Mularkey and Koetters offenses are and would be to easy to defend and are very predictable in my eyes.

13 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Well we could and may have but you well know after getting blasted by GB in the dome the owner wanted what he wanted.I think really we needed to be somewhere in between.By 2010ish Ryan was good enough to be in more control.08-10 we needed Turner to fast track Ryan’s development.

For me in today’s NFL Mularkey and Koetters offenses are and would be to easy to defend and are very predictable in my eyes.

Could have stayed smash mouth and won a Bowl by 2012. Got cute. Got explosive. These NFL defenses can't handle smash mouth. See BAL and TEN. We started out at a (.688) clip running smash mouth. Since we've gone explosive we dropped to (.528). In the last two seasons the explosives have sunk to (.438) with no playoff berths. Not too explosive bro.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Could have stayed smash mouth and won a Bowl by 2012. Got cute. Got explosive. These NFL defenses can't handle smash mouth. See BAL and TEN. We started out at a (.688) clip running smash mouth. Since we've gone explosive we dropped to (.528). In the last two seasons the explosives have sunk to (.438) with no playoff berths. Not too explosive bro.

Not many teams run it outside of who you mentioned.

Titans and Shanny run it best.

But KC got the marbles I dunno as I mentioned you have to be somewhere in between.

2012 we had a chance for sure no guarantees of getting it done though we came up short.

2016 was our shot we had the best of both worlds balance that’s where we have to get back to having a legitimate threat run and pass.

I don’t think one dimensional gets it done in this league Titans got close Niners got close but both came up short.

7 hours ago, Vandy said:

Great? I dunno know about that. But he improved quite a bit in his play calling in year 2. 

I said it at the time, it was a mistake letting he and Manuel go. As last year showed, they weren’t the real problem. 

Yep. Once can actually argue that Ryan's year in 2018 was maybe even better than his 2016 season under Shanny.

20 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Yep. Once can actually argue that Ryan's year in 2018 was maybe even better than his 2016 season under Shanny.

I can’t say that.  Ryan had more yards/TD’s in 2016 on nearly 100 fewer throws.  What he did on just 534 throws is amazing.  Nobody gets 5,000 yards on 600 or less attempts.  And he is the only one to eclipse 4,900 yards with just single digit INT’s (7).  He did so twice.  Also has the highest QBR in 2016 of anyone in the top 24 

09BC2BB5-DE52-4862-AD76-620E882E13A5.jpeg

49 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Not many teams run it outside of who you mentioned.

Titans and Shanny run it best.

But KC got the marbles I dunno as I mentioned you have to be somewhere in between.

2012 we had a chance for sure no guarantees of getting it done though we came up short.

2016 was our shot we had the best of both worlds balance that’s where we have to get back to having a legitimate threat run and pass.

I don’t think one dimensional gets it done in this league Titans got close Niners got close but both came up short.

We had balance on offense but our defense was butt cheeks until after the bye in the game PHI handed Shanny's as to him. 

Our defense played well from that point. At least until they got to the second half of SB51 and went into total keystone cop mode.

That's about when your idol Shanny lost his playbook remember? I think he lost it again last year against KC. Two blown SBs? Jeez

If he gets back this year he'll probably have trouble with KC, BAL or TEN. Meanwhile we're coming off 14-18 and looking up at the league.

You happy? I ain't. 😡   Not worth a dam bro. Trust me.