Battle Lines Drawn - Thomas Better Than Julio Per CBS Sports

Everybody's entitled to his own opinion and this debate is ultimately pointless. But I'm an unabashed homer and would take both Julio and Hopkins (who is fourth on this guy's list behind Tyreek Hill) before Thomas.

2. Julio Jones, Falcons

Jones is the yards per route run king. Among wideouts with 50-plus targets, Jones has ranked first, fourth, first, first, first, first, and fifth over the past seven seasons. That is completely insane. They should just name the stat after him at some point.

Even during the three seasons since his last First Team All-Pro appearance (2017 through 2019) he leads the NFL in yards per route run, with a 2.80 average. His per-16-games average during that time is 102-1,537-6, with a 63 percent catch rate. (He's played 47 of 48 games.) The ridiculous touchdown concerns should have been written off immediately when they first surfaced, considering he he scored eight, 10, six, eight, and six times during his first five healthy seasons, but hopefully his 14 scores over the past two years put them to bed for good.

Jones is a massive target at 6-3, 220 pounds and is still an excellent downfield threat, and it's really only his decline in yards per reception (17.0 -> 16.4 -> 14.8 -> 14.1) and per target (10.9 -> 9.8 -> 9.9 -> 8.9) over the past several years that keeps him out of the No. 1 spot. (Though I wouldn't put up much of an argument if you flipped him and the guy we have there now.)

2020 Outlook: Jones will remain Matt Ryan's No. 1 target, and with Austin Hooper leaving in free agency he could even see his target share expand. Calvin Ridley is a strong No. 2 wideout but not particularly threatening to Jones' status as the top dog in this offense. Atlanta's defense is also likely to remain an issue, so there should be plenty of volume for Jones once again.

headshot-image
Julio Jones
ATL • WR • 11

1. Michael Thomas, Saints

Thomas somehow just keeps getting better. In four seasons, he has gone for 92-1,137-9 (2016), 104-1,245-5 (2017), 125-1,405-9 (2018), and 149-1,725-9 (2019). He just set a record for receptions in a season, leading the league for the second consecutive year. 

He is as automatic as it gets when the ball is thrown in his direction, boasting an absolutely hilarious 78.1 percent career catch rate that has jumped to 82.5 percent over the past two years. He's been slightly less efficient than Jones on a per-route basis (2.65 yards per route run over the past three years) but ever-so-slightly better at creating first downs (50.5 percent of his targets have resulted in first downs, compared to 47.4 percent for Jones) and touchdowns, which is ultimately why he got the nod here.

He is the best in the league out of the slot, the best in the league on slants and hitches, his hands are made of stick-um, he's got terrific size (6-3, 212 pounds) and strength (78th percentile in the bench press at the combine), elite change-of-direction skills, out-of-control footwork ... basically, he's got everything. 

2020 Outlook: A lot of targets. (Seriously, a lot.) A lot of catches. (Probably more than anyone else in the league.) Very few balls that hit the ground. (Maybe like 20 or 30 at most.) A whole lot of 10 to 12-yard gains with cornerbacks hanging on his shoulders while he hauls the ball in anyway. (Several of these per game.)

headshot-image

Michael Thomas
NO • WR • 13

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-top-10-wrs-for-2020-nfl-season-odell-beckham-jr-set-for-bounce-back-year-michael-thomas-tops/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sigh... my daily quota has now been reached.

This is silly for a couple reasons... 1)  It appears to be fantasy football based 2)  He uses air yards as a knock against Julio when Thomas' air yards are below many tight ends let alone re

Lol this argument is above pointless at this point

Posted Images

Let’s see 1400 yards a season over five and the same amount of double teams first. Jones has 3x more 250 yard games than anyone else in history (and will likely have another), a 300 yarder... Thomas broke 200 once. Holla at me when he’s there. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

the only thing better about Thomas is he is younger.

That isn’t true. Thomas is a more complete receiver. He’s virtually unstoppable on getting 8-10 yard catches. Which is also really dangerous for inside the 10 yard line in the red zone. Julio on the other hand is a more dangerous football player. He can take the top off any defense and he is much more explosive. Personally, I’d rather have Julio. But to say he’s better than everything that Thomas does simply isn’t true 

5 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

That isn’t true. Thomas is a more complete receiver. He’s virtually unstoppable on getting 8-10 yard catches. Which is also really dangerous for inside the 10 yard line in the red zone. Julio on the other hand is a more dangerous football player. He can take the top off any defense and he is much more explosive. Personally, I’d rather have Julio. But to say he’s better than everything that Thomas does simply isn’t true 

so you are saying Thomas is a great Tight End.

ok.

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Lol I know. It’s pretty laughable how in denial some of our fans are about saints players 

I don’t have an issue with Thomas, I just don’t think he’s the best. Personally I don’t care about the rivalry but his production is expected for the amount of targets he receives. Outside of Kamara, Thomas blows the other receivers away in targets on that  team so he better be able to catch a high percentage  lol. 

I said last off season that he earned his pay day and fits that system to a tee. Still believe that but I won’t say he’s the best. A sane, eligible AB is a better WR than Thomas imo but unfortunately he acted his way out of the league 

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I don’t have an issue with Thomas, I just don’t think he’s the best. Personally I don’t care about the rivalry but his production is expected for the amount of targets he receives. Outside of Kamara, Thomas blows the other receivers away in targets on that  team so he better be able to catch a high percentage  lol. 

I said last off season that he earned his pay day and fits that system to a tee. Still believe that but I won’t say he’s the best. A sane, eligible AB is a better WR than Thomas imo but unfortunately he acted his way out of the league 

I didn’t say he was the best either. And I don’t think he is. But he’s definitely a great player