Similar Team To 2012?

I don’t start a lot of threads, but kinda bored from seeing the same old regurgitated topics over and over again. Pandemic’s got us all more than a little stir crazy.

Anyway, I see a lot of similarities in this team to our 2012 one, especially offensively.

Not saying we’ll go 13-3, as this is a much tougher division and schedule than what we faced that season, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We’ll be battle tested when we get into the playoffs. :ninja:

But I can see Koetter utilize Gurley similarly to how he did turner (10 TDs), Ito as #2 RB similar to Quizz (53 catches) , and hill could be our snelling. Definitely see Ridley becoming a bigger piece of offense similar to a young Julio that year with > 1,000 yard/10 TD  season. TE Hurst could also give us 8 or so TDs like Gonzales did as opposing Def will be focused on covering our wide receivers. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/atl/season/2012/seasontype/2

And our bend-not-break defense, which was better in ‘12 than many credit it being,  could be sneaky good (Top 10-12) this year as well. Raheem as DC, the additions of Fowler, Davidson, Terrell et al, are gonna insert some much needed energy into that side of ball. There’s a nice mix of both young and veteran talent on this much improved personnel-wise defense. Still need a savvy vet corner to solidify the secondary much like Asante Samuel did for us that special season, IMO.

Biggest thing is staying healthy. If we do, people are sleeping on this team, IMO. 

4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

This season will come down to the overall health of the team and Turnover margin. No huge injuries at keep positions and being + in turnover margin should at least get us a playoff spot.  

Agreed. That’s the thing about those early smith-coached falcons teams versus Quinn’s teams. We won turnover battle and those teams were also not penalized much. Coaching staff needs to instill that same type discipline in these players. Falcons are plenty talented enough, difference between 10-6 and 7-9 is discipline.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Agreed. That’s the thing about those early smith-coached falcons teams versus Quinn’s teams. We won turnover battle and those teams were also not penalized much. Coaching staff needs to instill that same type discipline in these players. Falcons are plenty talented enough, difference between 10-6 and 7-9 is discipline.

Yea, usually when a team wins more than 12 games, luck is definitely on their side. They are still a great team, but you need some breaks to win 13. 

16 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea, usually when a team wins more than 12 games, luck is definitely on their side. They are still a great team, but you need some breaks to win 13. 

Luck is one of the most underrated aspects of the game.

You have to be able to overcome when the ball (sometimes literally ) bounces against you  but luck plays a huge role in the out come of a game.

I firmly believe that in pretty much every football game the difference between a win and a loss boils down to 4 to 5 plays.... even in blowouts.

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

You have to be able to overcome when the ball (sometimes literally ) bounces against you  but luck plays a huge role in the out come of a game.

I firmly believe that in pretty much every football game the difference between a win and a loss boils down to 4 to 5 plays.... even in blowouts.

Somewhat agree it’s about luck good or bad but a team must create turnovers and game changers do that. We need one more game changer on defense like a Clowney Griffin C Matthews J Adams. It could be the difference of being a playoff or SB bound team.I think we’re so close...pull the trigger TD finish the job

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I agree. Our 2010 team was pretty good obviously. They performed like a 10-6, maybe 11-5 team. But they won 13 games because everything was just going their way. They were always put in position to be the last with the ball. They were gifted turnovers at times. But you could argue 2011 team was actually better but lost more games 

18 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

17 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Agree with both of you on luck. But I also believe it’s that preparation and discipline which creates opportunities to take advantage of whatever luck may come your way. 

Just now, Atl Falcon said:

Somewhat agree it’s about luck good or bad but a team must create turnovers and game changers do that. We need one more game changer on defense like a Clowney Griffin C Matthews J Adams. It could be the difference of being a playoff or SB bound team.I think we’re so close...pull the trigger TD finish the job

Oh I agree you need to create your own luck sometimes.

Last year we had like 7 forced fumbles over 3 games and I think we only recovered 1 or 2.

The Texans had like 3 fumbles that we could not grab.....had we gotten even 1 of those then that changes the complexion of the game.

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Oh I agree you need to create your own luck sometimes.

Last year we had like 7 forced fumbles over 3 games and I think we only recovered 1 or 2.

The Texans had like 3 fumbles that we could not grab.....had we gotten even 1 of those then that changes the complexion of the game.

And we’re due some good luck regarding TOS bounces tipped balls 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Agree with both of you on luck. But I also believe it’s that preparation and discipline which creates the opportunities to take advantage of that luck when it come your way. 

Yup.

The game vs SF last year is what is giving me hope for this year.

Nothing went our way in that game...the Refs were incredibly biased (which imo is an aspect of luck) and we still found a way to win.

Ughh.. That SF game where RW didn't get the interference call at the end of the NFCCG when he was literally 'raped'. Funny how SF had the same thing happen in the SB though. Karma!  But not enough...

I'll take a 13-3 season though. Especially if none of those losses are at Dallas, GB and NO.

Edited by falconfansince66
10 hours ago, Vandy said:

Agree with both of you on luck. But I also believe it’s that preparation and discipline which creates the opportunities to take advantage of whatever luck may come your way. 

Yup...teams that are able to maintain high level success over several years create much of their own luck...and it’s done by simply being more prepared.  The Patriots being the obvious example.

Their Turnover Stats since 2001 are comical compared to every other team:

EVkpVZ_WkAIm8xt?format=png&name=small

On 6/18/2020 at 1:56 AM, FalconsIn2012 said:

Yup...teams that are able to maintain high level success over several years create much of their own luck...and it’s done by simply being more prepared.  The Patriots being the obvious example.

Their Turnover Stats since 2001 are comical compared to every other team:

EVkpVZ_WkAIm8xt?format=png&name=small

Yeah, I’m not much of a believer in luck being a major factor in success.

A lot of things had to go right for pats comeback win in SB51. But was it ‘luck’? Or was it the fact they were just so relentless in their pressure that we (coaching staff especially) finally cracked?

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yeah, I’m not much of a believer in luck being a major factor in success.

A lot of things had to go right for pats comeback win in SB51. But was it ‘luck’? Or was it the fact they were just so relentless in their pressure that we (coaching staff especially) finally choked?

A little bit of both. The Edelman catch was pretty lucky