2 minutes ago, RG 2.0 said:

I too am digging the new Bronco. If they bring back the full size version, that'd be sweet! I bet the turbo V6 in that little joker would scream! My son went and drove a new Raptor the other day and he said it's NICE! He said it wasn't that much quicker than my F-150, which it really is, I just don't think he put the hammer down far enough lol. I'd drive it like I stole it if took one for a test drive. When he bought his Mustang, I had that Coyote screaming. He was white knuckled over in the passenger seat, hahaha! The Raptor does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds which astounds me and it can be flashed to do it quicker than that. There is a flash for 3.5L Ecoboost that'll get mine into the 4.4 range so I bet a Raptor can do sub 4 seconds! Technology is great when a **** truck can accelerate faster than performance cars of just 10 years ago, lol.

Welcome back!  Don't get mad at ALL of us and leave, we're ABF family!  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tempted to post something about guitars in here.

Here’s my hooptie best bang for the buck car I’ve ever owned. Upgraded turbo should be right around 240-250 hp on the safe tune that comes with the kit. Exhaust and intake inbound and the. I’ll get a

I’d love a sequoia, but it’s bigger than what we need and probably out of price range for the mileage it would have on it.  I found a previous generation sequoia in Atlanta with 96K miles for onl

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

Welcome back!  Don't get mad at ALL of us and leave, we're ABF family!  

Dude, you're my man! You KNOW this! Your son is just tired of my **** I guess 😛 I hate that it's been crazy like that. It actually saddens me but he's hard headed and I am too, sometimes **** just happens. I really do mean no harm. I am a man, I do dumb **** sometimes, it's in my DNA! :) I'll just stay outta his way and it'll be good again (I hope!)

5 minutes ago, RG 2.0 said:

Dude, you're my man! You KNOW this! Your son is just tired of my **** I guess 😛 I hate that it's been crazy like that. It actually saddens me but he's hard headed and I am too, sometimes **** just happens. I really do mean no harm. I am a man, I do dumb **** sometimes, it's in my DNA! :) I'll just stay outta his way and it'll be good again (I hope!)

Kinfolks FIGHT amongst themselves sometimes, but we hug it out afterwards.  My son can be hard headed sometimes, he got that from his mama!:lol:

2 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

Kinfolks FIGHT amongst themselves sometimes, but we hug it out afterwards.  My son can be hard headed sometimes, he got that from his mama!:lol:

Right on! That's true as true gets. He'll simmer down I hope. It took me a minute. He's still a good guy, I know that. We just got a little fired up. It'll pass.

I just need to stick to the Food thread, lol. I've been cooking a big *** pot of Brunswick Stew for a buddy of mine this afternoon and in between chopping, measuring and stirring I've been on the **** computer with the soap opera "As TATF Turns" going on, lol.

My friend wants a gallon, I made a gallon and a half so you know what's about to happen. I got some cold beer and a big bowl (not that kind of bowl, lol) coming my way!

15 hours ago, Andrews_31 said:

True, but money being handed out amongst my family becomes an issue. It becomes you gave so and so this or that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 4:05 AM, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Everything is turbo charged with 37 speed transmissions now. All that **** is going to tear up. 

Toyota is allegedly ditching its V8’s for twin turbo V6’s for the 2022 Tundra and Chrysler Fiat is allegedly working on a turbo inline 6 to replace its Pentastar V6’s and Hemis. 

Just allows for them to make smaller displacement engines with better fuel economy. Everything gets a turbo.

But... these aren't the turbos of old. They throw little baby snails on them to help with low end, and the boost lag isn't very pronounced. And they're maketing a ton of the trans as "9 speed", when in all actuality, they're CVTs that don't have predefined gears. They just do it because people like to hear "Wah, Wahh, Wahhh". The CVTs act like a single speed trans, and that's weird to hear. (My Wife's car is a CVT).

We're looking at a 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited with the 7 seat config. As soon as my dude finds one and can get it here, we'll finish the paperwork...

1 hour ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Just allows for them to make smaller displacement engines with better fuel economy. Everything gets a turbo.

But... these aren't the turbos of old. They throw little baby snails on them to help with low end, and the boost lag isn't very pronounced. And they're maketing a ton of the trans as "9 speed", when in all actuality, they're CVTs that don't have predefined gears. They just do it because people like to hear "Wah, Wahh, Wahhh". The CVTs act like a single speed trans, and that's weird to hear. (My Wife's car is a CVT).

We're looking at a 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited with the 7 seat config. As soon as my dude finds one and can get it here, we'll finish the paperwork...

The tech is better, but more moving parts will generally always lead to more things that can break, and the turbo is not going to last the life of the engine. That's a $3K expense most folks aren't going to be happy forking out.

Big V8's will probably limited to very few choices in the next five years, Toyota is reportedly phasing out its 5.7L V8's for the next gen Tundra/Sequoia, and Fiat/Chrysler is working on a tubro inline 6 to be used in numerous vehicles, including Rams. 

If I had $40K right now, I'd go buy a 2020F150 XL STX with the 2.7L Ecoboost. If I had $80K right now I'd either get the F150 limited with the HO Raptor Ecoboost or a F250 Limited with the 6.7 Powerstroke.

These cars aren’t being made to keep forever anymore for the most part. These people will hit you with an 72-84 month loan and the 4 years into it start pestering about trade in blah blah blah. They just wanna keep the money line open and enough people will be happy to do it. New car warranty ‘free’ maintenance. And then the trade ins get sent to a second world country like Alabama. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

The tech is better, but more moving parts will generally always lead to more things that can break, and the turbo is not going to last the life of the engine. That's a $3K expense most folks aren't going to be happy forking out.

Big V8's will probably limited to very few choices in the next five years, Toyota is reportedly phasing out its 5.7L V8's for the next gen Tundra/Sequoia, and Fiat/Chrysler is working on a tubro inline 6 to be used in numerous vehicles, including Rams. 

If I had $40K right now, I'd go buy a 2020F150 XL STX with the 2.7L Ecoboost. If I had $80K right now I'd either get the F150 limited with the HO Raptor Ecoboost or a F250 Limited with the 6.7 Powerstroke.

Being a former turbo tech, I can assure you that they will absolutely last the life of the engine. In fact, they aren't included with a short block, so we would take the turbo from the old engine, strap it to the new one, and it was typically fine. In rare situations, you could end up with a foreign object in the impeller and that would nuke the turbo, but that was rare. The big manufacturers do the same, turbo isn't included on a short block.

I worked on diesel engine in heavy equipment and OTR trucks. Turbos are the norm. In cars, they're a lot more durable than they used to be. Before, they were only oil cooled, which caused problems when you shut off the engine. Now, they're oil lubed and coolant cooled, which allows them to continue cooling after the engine is shut down (coolant's fluid dynamics allow the coolant to move without a pump pushing it). With just oil cooling,  the oil wouldn't move as much, and just ended up boiling on the shaft when not under pressure from a pump.

On 7/24/2020 at 11:13 AM, Scrunchomarx said:

These cars aren’t being made to keep forever anymore for the most part. These people will hit you with an 72-84 month loan and the 4 years into it start pestering about trade in blah blah blah. They just wanna keep the money line open and enough people will be happy to do it. New car warranty ‘free’ maintenance. And then the trade ins get sent to a second world country like Alabama. 

Pat of what you say is correct, Cruncho, the part about trade ins. They scare people into buying new after their warranty is up.  This is because repairs are all computer driven and cannot be done by laymen. On the other part engines are now just change the oil on schedule to get an easy 100k out of the car, wasn't like that in the old days, cars went out of tune if you looked at them cross-eyed.

I do understand the worry of having a Turbo but I have had nothing but good luck out of my wife's 2015 Escape Titanium with it's little turbo charged 2.0 Ecoboost engine. That thing is quick too! My F-150 has the twin turbo 3.5L Ecobeast and it pulls great! It's faster than my wife's SUV!  I bought an extended warranty just in case though, lol.

I have a long time friend that lives in AZ and he just bought a Ram with the EcoDiesel 6 in it and he loves it, gets INSANE gas mileage for a truck. I am just not a Chrysler fan but I hope it holds out for him. He is going to be towing a travel trailer that was just a wee bit too big for his Tacoma. The big Dodge should have no issues pulling it.

10 minutes ago, RG 2.0 said:

I do understand the worry of having a Turbo but I have had nothing but good luck out of my wife's 2015 Escape Titanium with it's little turbo charged 2.0 Ecoboost engine. That thing is quick too! My F-150 has the twin turbo 3.5L Ecobeast and it pulls great! It's faster than my wife's SUV!  I bought an extended warranty just in case though, lol.

I have a long time friend that lives in AZ and he just bought a Ram with the EcoDiesel 6 in it and he loves it, gets INSANE gas mileage for a truck. I am just not a Chrysler fan but I hope it holds out for him. He is going to be towing a travel trailer that was just a wee bit too big for his Tacoma. The big Dodge should have no issues pulling it.

I’d be curious to know how the numbers work out on these new 3.0L Diesel engines that Ram, Chevy, and Ford all offer in their 1/2 ton trucks now. The up charge isn’t as much as a diesel over the gas V8’s in their 3/4 and 1 trucks, but they still cost several thousand more than the V8’s in the same trucks. Plus more expensive diesel maintenance and fuel. I wonder if the mpg savings winds up being a wash. 

Ram advertises that its eco diesel can tow up to 12,000 lbs. No way I would tow that much with a 1/2 ton, even if the engine could pull it. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

I’d be curious to know how the numbers work out on these new 3.0L Diesel engines that Ram, Chevy, and Ford all offer in their 1/2 ton trucks now. The up charge isn’t as much as a diesel over the gas V8’s in their 3/4 and 1 trucks, but they still cost several thousand more than the V8’s in the same trucks. Plus more expensive diesel maintenance and fuel. I wonder if the mpg savings winds up being a wash. 

Ram advertises that its eco diesel can tow up to 12,000 lbs. No way I would tow that much with a 1/2 ton, even if the engine could pull it. 

I am not comfortable towing that much with a 1/2 ton either but I've seen it done. My truck has the "max tow package" and can tow 12,200 lbs. I'll never put it to the test though. The camper I bought my wife weighs somewhere around 3000 lbs, that's no problem but I would be sweating bullets towing over 10,000 pounds with it.

2 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

GM is offering its 3.0L diesel in the 2021 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Yukon XL’s, I think that would be a cool family towing rig. 

The way of the future I guess! It's crazy to me the power and torque they're getting out of these little engines. My feeling is that there is no replacement for displacement though. I really wanted a V8 5.0 Coyote, but I got such a good deal on the 3.5L, I couldn't pass it up. It makes more power and torque than the 5.0 (w/o mods that is) so I guess I can't complain. I just think that a V8 doesn't have to work as hard to do the same job, therefore it'll last longer.

5 minutes ago, RG 2.0 said:

The way of the future I guess! It's crazy to me the power and torque they're getting out of these little engines. My feeling is that there is no replacement for displacement though. I really wanted a V8 5.0 Coyote, but I got such a good deal on the 3.5L, I couldn't pass it up. It makes more power and torque than the 5.0 (w/o mods that is) so I guess I can't complain. I just think that a V8 doesn't have to work as hard to do the same job, therefore it'll last longer.

You get the power earlier in the power band though, so in some ways it’s not working as hard as the V8, when towing at least.