Jump to content

Matt Ryan donates $500,000 to help Atlanta’s black community


Recommended Posts


https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/05/matt-ryan-donates-500000-to-help-atlantas-black-community/?partner=Yahoo

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan has pledged $500,000 toward a fundraiser he’s establishing to help the black community in Atlanta.

Via Vaughn McClure of ESPN, the Falcons quarterback hopes to raise $2 million in total.

“Last week I made a commitment to listening and learning, and one of the messages that hit home for me was the difference between reacting to a situation and responding to a situation,” Ryan said in a statement. “For far too long, I have reacted to social injustice with empathy and silent support but failed to follow through with active support. I feel the time has come to RESPOND. For ALL of us to respond.

“I see my city hurting, which is why I’m starting a fundraiser to help improve conditions for people of color in the city of Atlanta. . . . Over the next few weeks, months I’m going to listen to the needs of the black community and get guidance on how I can be most impactful. I’m going to get input from local grassroots organizations as well as community leaders who are committed to making change.”

He also made a statement on Instagram after the death of George Floyd, acknowledging that he can’t understand the depth of the country’s racial issues, but promising “listening and learning with all humility and compassion.”

That kind of action made an immediate impression on his teammates.

“For Ice to show the support and that he’s got love, it’s really just an acknowledgement that he understands,” safety Ricardo Allen said. “For Ice to come from probably a totally different background and place in life then I come from — and I can’t expect him to fully feel what it feels like to grow up in the hood or what it truly feels like to be a black man in America — but for him to actually take that stance and say that and let us know that he feels us, I appreciate that.”

It’s a good step for Ryan (and for Atlanta), and puts him on firmer footing than some other quarterbacks in the news lately.

Edited by atlvicktim08
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to get political, but I think we all need to listen and learn, and this goes above and beyond police brutality. We are a country based on immigration and every citizen should have fair and equal treatment regardless of color, gender, or sexual orientation. We cannot be silent when we see wrongs in this world. Voting makes a difference. Kudos to Matt for his monetary donation, but his words and actions regarding this issue will continue to make an affect to bring change on many as only an inspirational leader can

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to Matt and everyone who has responded so far with compassion and understanding. As a black man in his 30's , Im tired of arguing about this stuff. And for the first time in my life, I actually feel positive and hopeful that we are going to have this conversation and create some kind of real change. A real weight genuinely feels lifted right now.

Also, I understand the need to keep the peace around here, and the Mods have been swift in shutting down threads about this topic. I get it. However, I really do think that it is important in a league that has so many young black men that suit up each week to play for cities all over this country, that if we can cheer for (or boo) them on gameday, that we can listen and have empathy for the issues that they, their families, and so many other fans have to face everyday off the field. This isnt the "forum" but at some point, people are people and we need to be able to communicate as humans.

In that light, hopefully this topic doesnt go awry. Thank you again to those who are choosing to listen and have empathy. The world is a better place because of it. Real talk.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get on Matt a lot when I feel it's deserved but he really is a good dude as well as a great player. Ironically, I sent one of my delivery drivers to his home today to deliver a very fancy looking golf simulator. I wanted to ride out there with him but I was so busy in and out the office😞. Either way, would've been good to meet him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Not to get political, but I think we all need to listen and learn, and this goes above and beyond police brutality. We are a country based on immigration and every citizen should have fair and equal treatment regardless of color, gender, or sexual orientation. We cannot be silent when we see wrongs in this world. Voting makes a difference. Kudos to Matt for his monetary donation, but his words and actions regarding this issue will continue to make an affect to bring change on many as only an inspirational leader can

The issues are important, VERY important.  Listening and learning can start on THIS very board.   The polarizing comments made about the quarterback issue.  You, me, anyone should be able to make a post about how they feel about a player or what they want the Falcons do to without it going haywire into unnecessary polarizing comments.  Ryan has been a class act and that should extend to this board...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tho this came out is a bad situation I’m glad it has the floor for discussion. I’ve had SEVERAL talks right here on this board about what my ppl go thru and it was met with denials and whataboutisms and closed minds and ears. NOW ppl are finally ready to listen. And I really think this is the real deal. Protests have been going on in other countries. It is time to change the scope of systemic racism. I have a lot white friends on this board and throughout my life. I am glad some of you have dound it in your hearts to actually HEAR and try to understand what Kap kneeled for. Had the world listened then we may not be in this situation now. But be as it may the time has come to listen, bring about change, and unite. 
 

And last thing. That’s my quarterback!!!! Matt knows he plays in a chocolate city. He goes to war with his black brothers every week. Blood sweat and tears. For Drew to be so tone def is heart breaking. I don’t think he’s a bad person just uneducated and saw the world from his bubble. It’s never been about the flag then, and it’s not about the flag now. If any of my white homies here wants to have an open convo with me about these issues I’ve lived with my entire life hit me anytime. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Ryan has handled this situation very well and has made the team proud, unlike Cuba Map face on the Saints. Great for Matt I hope he can help. One thing is for sure his OL and team mates will not be embarrassed by his response and will play harder for him.

" I, I, I didn't mean it......"

 

Drew Brees makes an unforgettable face just before taking a sack ...

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Ryan has handled this situation very well and has made the team proud, unlike Cuba Map face on the Saints. Great for Matt I hope he can help. One thing is for sure his OL and team mates will not be embarrassed by his response and will play harder for him.

Yes. The saints locker room will never be the same for Drew. Even tho they’ll all say the right thing on camera. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Thank you to Matt and everyone who has responded so far with compassion and understanding. As a black man in his 30's , Im tired of arguing about this stuff. And for the first time in my life, I actually feel positive and hopeful that we are going to have this conversation and create some kind of real change. A real weight genuinely feels lifted right now.

Also, I understand the need to keep the peace around here, and the Mods have been swift in shutting down threads about this topic. I get it. However, I really do think that it is important in a league that has so many young black men that suit up each week to play for cities all over this country, that if we can cheer for (or boo) them on gameday, that we can listen and have empathy for the issues that they, their families, and so many other fans have to face everyday off the field. This isnt the "forum" but at some point, people are people and we need to be able to communicate as humans.

In that light, hopefully this topic doesnt go awry. Thank you again to those who are choosing to listen and have empathy. The world is a better place because of it. Real talk.  

im almost 50. and i have alot of stories that people dont want to hear. this has always been a sensitive subject. especially in the south.  what people need to do is not only listen, but understand what is going on. think about if you were in that spot, how would you feel. this is new to certain people and not to others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 OK, we should all just applaud the destruction going on in our cities and just say thank you. People hold up Floyd as a hero ( a 4 time convicted felon). Yes it was terrible what happened to him. But a thousand times more tragic the harm ( mostly to the black) communities, done by looters, thieves and firebombers. I am white, so what, I've worked closely my entire life in Atlanta along side black men and we respected each other as MEN, not any other altruistic definition. We drank together and laughed and joked and I was proud to be their friends and coworkers. Kick me out, but this pity party is about BLM, got it. But in the site of our Lord God Almighty we all matter. Oh, and I,I,I, meant it.

Edited by Charles Wright
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Charles Wright said:

 OK, we should all just applaud the destruction going on in our cities and just say thank you. People hold up Floyd as a hero ( a 4 time convicted felon). Yes it was terrible what happened to him. But a thousand times more tragic the harm ( mostly to the black) communities, done by looters, thieves and firebombers. I am white, so what, I've worked closely my entire life in Atlanta along side black men and we respected each other as MEN, not any other altruistic definition. We drank together and laughed and joked and I was proud to be their friends and coworkers. Kick me out, but this pity party is about BLM, got it. But in the site of our Lord God Almighty we all matter.

Wait a second. The looters are opportunists that are taking advantage of the distraction of the police, not those standing up for the cause of civil rights. Whether or not he was a felon or a saint, he is a human being, handcuffed, vulnerable. If it were I (a 45 year old white man) I would have been questioned, maybe fined, and sent on my way. This example is just a small part of the equation. Lack of healthcare, income inequality, the inability to post bond on petty offenses and on and on. Love your neighbor as yourself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Wait a second. The looters are opportunists that are taking advantage of the distraction of the police, not those standing up for the cause of civil rights. Whether or not he was a felon or a saint, he is a human being, handcuffed, vulnerable. If it were I (a 45 year old white man) I would have been questioned, maybe fined, and sent on my way. This example is just a small part of the equation. Lack of healthcare, income inequality, the inability to post bond on petty offenses and on and on. Love your neighbor as yourself. 

do not try to reason with the "i have black friends" guy. oh, did you know there is a feature on your profile where you can ignore users, guess who i just used it on. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Wait a second. The looters are opportunists that are taking advantage of the distraction of the police, not those standing up for the cause of civil rights. Whether or not he was a felon or a saint, he is a human being, handcuffed, vulnerable. If it were I (a 45 year old white man) I would have been questioned, maybe fined, and sent on my way. This example is just a small part of the equation. Lack of healthcare, income inequality, the inability to post bond on petty offenses and on and on. Love your neighbor as yourself. 

 Glad you admit the looters are taking advantage of a bad situation. I stated and believe it wholeheartedly that it was terrible what occured to the Mr. Floyd. The burning and killing is wrong. The outrageous destruction of our cities is WRONG.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one sure fire way to fix this. Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself and to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It’s an easy rule to quote but harder to put into practice. However, if everyone would do it, we would have a much better society across the board. This teaching works 100% of the time it is used when all sides use it.  I am renewing my commitment to do this. I encourage everyone else to do the same. 
 

The small % of people in the A/A community on one side of the spectrum who are looting and damaging property and the small % of anarchist white kids on the other side of the spectrum who are always looking for a reason to riot are a problem. The vast majority of both races who genuinely want to see this problem corrected peacefully need to be strong and unified together. The small % of people on both extremes are doing their best to make things difficult. Those of us of all races who know better, and our group is the multi-racial majority in this situation, need to lock arms and work together in unity. 
 

The peaceful, non violent teachings of Jesus, Dr King, Ghandi and others are the only way this comes to a good outcome. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Charles Wright said:

Lack of healthcare, income inequality, the inability to post bond on petty offenses and on and on. Love your neighbor as yourself. 

 I try to live by that belief as well. Is this the way Dr. King would have pushed for these life deficits for "my people". I respect what you're putting forth but this will only create division in our country. Are we a nation or a mouth piece for the ones who shout the loadest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...