• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hard2BaBirdWachr

Bills QB Jake Fromm apologizes for racist texts

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

Brees. Now Fromm...🤔  Speechless...

Brees was/is just ignorant...Fromm’s texts, that’s a different story, def poor taste in humor.

it still makes me shake my head seeing people make these comments in sound mind, then once they get called on it  instantly backtrack and say how much they regret it, support the cause, etc. I would have more respect if they either owned it or even said “I am an ignorant dumb ***, I should have known better”

On 6/4/2020 at 7:11 PM, 1989Fan said:

Brees was/is just ignorant...Fromm’s texts, that’s a different story, def poor taste in humor.

it still makes me shake my head seeing people make these comments in sound mind, then once they get called on it  instantly backtrack and say how much they regret it, support the cause, etc. I would have more respect if they either owned it or even said “I am an ignorant dumb ***, I should have known better”

Brees has the right to his own opinion. 

9 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Brees has the right to his own opinion. 

He does. People have the right to disagree as well. If it is his own opinion and he feels strongly about it, stick with it though, don’t cower away when people call you on it.

8 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

He does. People have the right to disagree as well. If it is his own opinion and he feels strongly about it, stick with it though, don’t cower away when people call you on it.

Kevin Hart showed the way on this.  Apologize once.  Or however many times.  But at some point, once it is clear your apology isn't ever going to be good enough, simply extract the accusers and haters from your life entirely.

What Brees said honestly wasn't even problematic as I see it.  What Fromm said was awful.  I grant he was joking, but jokes need to be funny and his wasn't.  It was only hurtful and dumb.

9 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I still don't get the dust-up w/ Brees comments - there is 100% nothing wrong for him to believe it wrong to kneel for the flag - people can agree to disagree there just like they did the first go-round.   He should never have apologized, IMHO.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, JDaveG said:

What Brees said honestly wasn't even problematic as I see it. 

I don’t either JDave. 

But Brees was IMO terribly insensitive in putting his views out there again, especially considering the timing of  what’s been going on. 

sometimes these athletes just need to keep their mouths shut. 

20 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I don’t either JDave. 

But Brees was IMO terribly insensitive in putting his views out there again, especially considering the timing of  what’s been going on. 

sometimes these athletes just need to keep their mouths shut. 

Agree.  But reaction needs to be appropriate to what was said too.  The outrage/cancel culture is something I don't think I'll ever understand, and I'm doing my best to teach my kids not to be a part of it.

As I said, Kevin Hart showed the way.  What is being demanded is not your apology, but your fealty.  Bend the knee.  Constantly apologize.  Submit.  Demean yourself.  So the answer is not to play the game.  "I already apologized and I have no further comment."

It's like depriving a fire of oxygen.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Agree.  But reaction needs to be appropriate to what was said too.  The outrage/cancel culture is something I don't think I'll ever understand, and I'm doing my best to teach my kids not to be a part of it.

As I said, Kevin Hart showed the way.  What is being demanded is not your apology, but your fealty.  Bend the knee.  Constantly apologize.  Submit.  Demean yourself.  So the answer is not to play the game.  "I already apologized and I have no further comment."

It's like depriving a fire of oxygen.

100% agree. Stand for something, don’t back down just because you get some blowback.

Great post.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, JDaveG said:

Kevin Hart showed the way on this.  Apologize once.  Or however many times.  But at some point, once it is clear your apology isn't ever going to be good enough, simply extract the accusers and haters from your life entirely.

What Brees said honestly wasn't even problematic as I see it.  What Fromm said was awful.  I grant he was joking, but jokes need to be funny and his wasn't.  It was only hurtful and dumb.

I actually think Kevin Hart showed you exactly what NOT to do.  Initially when I heard him say, "I'm done apologizing" I agreed with him.  Then some LGBTQ friends pointed out his "apology" and it wasn't an apology at all.  Had he just apologized from the gate, he likely would have been fine.  An apology for something offensive is never going to win over EVERYONE but there is a difference between saying "I'm sorry for ________" and saying "Well, I wouldn't say that now because it's a different time and that's not really accepted or PC".

14 hours ago, slamee101 said:

I actually think Kevin Hart showed you exactly what NOT to do.  Initially when I heard him say, "I'm done apologizing" I agreed with him.  Then some LGBTQ friends pointed out his "apology" and it wasn't an apology at all.  Had he just apologized from the gate, he likely would have been fine.  An apology for something offensive is never going to win over EVERYONE but there is a difference between saying "I'm sorry for ________" and saying "Well, I wouldn't say that now because it's a different time and that's not really accepted or PC".

Is he wrong though?  When times change people change.  Eddie Murphy made a lot of gay jokes in the 80s.  He wouldn't do that today.  Same guy, different approach.

Barack Obama was against gay marriage before he was for it.  I don't really recall him apologizing about his prior stance.  Certainly not with the bended knee and utter fealty that seems to be expected of some and not others.  I don't blame Kevin Hart one bit for not continuing to apologize when the first one wasn't accepted. When you show me what it gets me, I tend to learn fast.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Is he wrong though?  When times change people change.  Eddie Murphy made a lot of gay jokes in the 80s.  He wouldn't do that today.  Same guy, different approach.

Barack Obama was against gay marriage before he was for it.  I don't really recall him apologizing about his prior stance.  Certainly not with the bended knee and utter fealty that seems to be expected of some and not others.  I don't blame Kevin Hart one bit for not continuing to apologize when the first one wasn't accepted. When you show me what it gets me, I tend to learn fast.

Yea, and if asked about it I’d say the same thing.  It’s not an apology.  Plenty of other comedians that made plenty of gay jokes were asked later and ACTUALLY apologized.  It was an easy ask...he just didn’t want to do it.  My guess is it’s either because comedians hate apologizing at times OR he has really strong feelings on homosexuality.  The truly silly thing is he APOLOGIZED after he lost the Oscars gig.  You should watch his Netflix series following his life.  Looking back he seems to be pretty clear on how he screwed it up.  All he said was people don’t really think it’s cool for me to speak like that anymore so I won’t.  Again, that’s vastly different than saying “I’m sorry”.  If you can’t see the difference...*shrug

As for Obama...LOL.  I’ll just leave some links that probably won’t be clicked on but that’s fairly laughable to me considering his track record on those issues.  I’d have to ask more LGBTQ friends how they feel about him in general because equality shouldn’t ever be put on hold even if the public isn’t ready for it but sometimes it’s about the long game.  I kind of think as far as politicians go...many of them accepted his mea culpa/apology since he was the first US President to publicly support marriage equality.

https://time.com/3702584/gay-marriage-axelrod-obama/

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2016/06/09/fact-sheet-obama-administrations-record-and-lgbt-community