Albert Breer: I’d keep an eye on Falcons rookie Matt Hennessy

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/06/01/richard-sherman-player-voices-trey-lance?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb

I’d keep an eye on Falcons rookie Matt Hennessy. He’s already proving a quick study in Atlanta, and has shown himself to be professional, consistent and accountable in his early meetings with the team—which lines up with the background work the Falcons did, that showed the center to be a pretty beloved figure in the Temple program. Add to that the strong pre-COVID work he’d done (Senior Bowl, combine), and the Falcons are pretty happy they got him, just ahead of where the Jets (who have his brother, Thomas) and Cowboys were picking, and where I can say both (New York at 79, Dallas at 82) were in play to take him. And it’s good for the team to have a player they believe is capable of replacing 34-year-old cornerstone Alex Mack, with Mack heading into a contract year, and someone they’d envision lining up next to 2019 first-rounder Chris Lindstrom for a long time to come.

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I think Terrell is a solid double but I think the FO hit back to back homers in the 2nd and 3rd.

Davidson and Hennessy are my 2 favorite picks from the draft.

this draft gives me the vibe of 2016 when Falcons grabbed Keanu(1st), Debo(2nd), Hooper(3rd) and Campbell(4th).    I expect something similar in as far as returns.   Even though Hoop and Campbell are gone - those were great picks.   Debo is top 5 MLB and Keanu - hard to say right now given all the injury but started out great.

26 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

this draft gives me the vibe of 2016 when Falcons grabbed Keanu(1st), Debo(2nd), Hooper(3rd) and Campbell(4th).    I expect something similar in as far as returns.   Even though Hoop and Campbell are gone - those were great picks.   Debo is top 5 MLB and Keanu - hard to say right now given all the injury but started out great.

It is going to be tough to top 16.

Teams just don't get that many starters out of one draft.

I mean we ended up with 5 starters out of that draft and a couple contributor's from UDFA.

I think /hope that we landed 4 contributor's out of this one.

26 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It is going to be tough to top 16.

Teams just don't get that many starters out of one draft.

I mean we ended up with 5 starters out of that draft and a couple contributor's from UDFA.

I think /hope that we landed 4 contributor's out of this one.

I don't think it will be that tough if the punter take the job.   Hennessy looks like a sure bet - that's two right there.   Then you have Terrell, Marlon, Walker and Hawkins and only need 2/4 to hit to get to 4 and two are Top 50 draft choices.

Truly believe this guy has a chance to win the starting LG position and then in a year or two be good enough to take over starting center. Watching film on him and it's just like he's a show up and do what you have to kind of guy. If we can have him, Mack, Lidstrom on the inside and Matthews still has it along with McGary developing on the outside we could actually have a line.

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Hennessy was a GREAT pick in 3rd round!   I would have been happy if we took him a round earlier - nice to get a player later than where you think he should have gone.   I feel Hennessy may be the most "sure thing" pick we made in 2020.   Very "High Floor" type player.

I was with you on an early Center in last year's draft....This is GREAT.

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

This team has assembled all necessary pieces to begin the season.

Looks like a good team to me, but I said that last year.

Things are different this year now with Morris. I like what happened the last eight games.

I’m cautiously optimistic 

It’ll be a tough division 

2 hours ago, Black Francis said:

Agreed. Nothing worse than to see your O line getting man handled. I’ve seen that enough for a lifetime. 

I think i've seen my fair share of Falcon's OL's get dominated over the years. The 2 years we had a good OL we nearly went to the NFCCC and the Superbowl. 

I really do think we knocked the last draft out of the park. We focused on adding guys who are football players who love the game. I couldn’t be more excited for next season minus Koetter. I think Kyle Shanahan would love the type of talent we have on the offensive side of the ball. We have all the pieces to build a historic offense.