Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
birdz4i

DeAndre Hopkins Thinks He’s Better Than Falcons’ Star Julio Jones

Julio Jones

Getty Julio Jones #11 of the Atlanta Falcons.

Who is the best wide receiver in the NFL? Arizona Cardinals newly-acquired wideout DeAndre Hopkins was asked the question on Thursday by ESPN Radio’s “Jalen and Jacoby.”

Hopkins strongly believes it’s himself, ranking above Atlanta Falcons‘ star Julio Jones and New Orleans Saints’ speedster Michael Thomas.

“I definitely think I’m the best,” Hopkins said. “Jalen and Jacoby” on Thursday. “I know I’m the best. Mike, my boy. I love Mike. We texted yesterday. But he know if I had Drew Brees my whole career what these numbers would be. Julio Jones know if I had Matt Ryan my whole career – that’s my boy, I train with Julio, too. He know what these numbers would be. Those guys are definitely blessed to be in a position where their whole career they had a Pro Bowl quarterback, a quarterback they spent multiple seasons with.”

Hopkins Didn’t Do His Research

While he thinks he’s standing at the top, he’s not quite sure what the numbers of the other guys actually look like.

“But I don’t complain. I don’t make any excuses. I go out and work. Obviously, my team won a division championship five out of the seven years that I was there, and I think every team in the division went out and tried to get a DB every draft to stop what was coming to them every year. But nothing against those guys, but I definitely made three All-Pro first-teams also, so I’m not sure how many times that was done by those two guys.”

He’s about to find out.

Comparing Hopkins to Jones & Thomas

All of these players have had remarkable careers while putting up unbelievable numbers, but one player rises above the rest.

Jones entered the league in 2011.

In his nine NFL seasons, Jones has recorded 797 receptions for 12,125 yards (a 15.2-yard average) and 57 touchdowns. His averages 96.2 receiving yards per game, which is the best in NFL history, and he’s been first-team All-Pro twice. He’s also a seven-time Pro Bowler.

Hopkins entered the league in 2013.

In his career, Hopkins has 632 receptions for 8,602 yards (a 13.6-yard average) and 54 touchdowns. He is a three-time All-Pro and four-time Pro Bowler. Hopkins caught 104 passes for 1,165 yards (an 11.2-yard average) and seven touchdowns in 2019, when he made first-team All-Pro for the third straight season.

Thomas didn’t enter the NFL until 2016.

Since then, Thomas set an NFL single-season record with 149 receptions in 2019, when he had 1,725 receiving yards, an 11.6-yard-per-catch average, and nine touchdowns. In just four seasons in the NFL, Thomas has 470 receptions for 5,512 yards (an 11.7-yard average) and 32 touchdowns. He made first-team All-Pro each of the past two seasons and has three Pro Bowls under his belt.

So, Who Is The Best?

You can’t really compare their total receiving stats since they each entered the league at different times. What you can do to draw a closer conclusion is look at each player’s average 16-game-season stats over their careers.

Player Receptions Yards Yards/Rec Touchdowns
DeAndre Hopkins 92 1,251 13.6 8
Julio Jones 101 1,540 15.2 7
Michael Thomas 119 1,400 11.7 8

Julio Jones is that best, averaging more yards on fewer receptions.

But, we already knew who was the best.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/05/deandre-hopkins-thinks-hes-better-than-falcons-star-julio-jones/

Saw this the day he said it. Honestly I don’t think a big deal should be made out of it. All 3 are great receivers and any top receiver that doesn’t think he’s the best doesn’t need to be playing. Sure he didn’t have to say anything at all but in the end he threw Matt Ryan and Drew Brees a ton of credit in saying that. 

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

I hope a player of his caliber would say that. I am sure JJ thinks he is the best too. and laughably, Thomas claims to be the best as well 😂 

Like he said, he talked to Julio and Julio knows what his numbers would be if he had a QB like Ryan. Julio doesn’t say anything publicly but anyone being honest with themselves know Julio has the same exact mindset as Thomas and Hopkins. Nothing wrong with Hopkins saying this though. It’s like when Fitz said something to AB about being greatful for being able to play with a great qb all those years. These guys know what it is man

Saying 'Julio has better stats' doesn't repute Hopkins' (correct) point that Julio has been luckier with QB play.

That said, would still take Jet Jones. 

We needed other things way more, but would have loved to have Hopkins across from Julio.  You got your premier possession receiver and your premier all around/explosive guy.

Woulda been fun.

Hop can grab that ball anywhere.

1 minute ago, takeitdown said:

We needed other things way more, but would have loved to have Hopkins across from Julio.  You got your premier possession receiver and your premier all around/explosive guy.

Woulda been fun.

Hop can grab that ball anywhere.

He makes insane grabs. Had the catch if the year 2 seasons ago

If you dont have the mentality that your the best than you will never be the best. confidence is everything when playing any sport.i know first hand.

I don’t think he’s the best, but obviously he’s gonna say he’s the best. Not really anything wrong with that. My question is how in the **** did he make first team all pro with those numbers? 

I find it funny that the one who doesn't have to pat his own back is Julio. With that being said, Hop didn't volunteer it like Thompson did; he was asked about it. He should absolutely believe he's #1 IMO, even if I don't.

FTR: The year that I won my fantasy league, Hop was my top player.

Hard question it’s almost 1a, 1b, 1c agree about the QB play if Hopkins had Ryan or Brees his stats would be different.

Thomas is fed is a great possession receiver

Hopkins insane hands and catches

Jones better route runner and getting open 

As he should and we will never know.

All 3 are great.

I honestly don't think more yards in less catches makes Julio the best. 

Gotta be more than that.

I would go with Julio

I also think I am better than Julio. Prove me wrong.

But athletes are supposed to think they are the best at their position. Fans make up the nonsense of "_____ is better than ______". It's all in fun.

9 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

Since when did deshaun Watson become a bum or did I miss something? 

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

The actual video. He does credit Watson

1 hour ago, Xfactor said:

Hard question it’s almost 1a, 1b, 1c agree about the QB play if Hopkins had Ryan or Brees his stats would be different.

Thomas is fed is a great possession receiver

Hopkins insane hands and catches

Jones better route runner and getting open 

Yep. Hopkins had Bad QBs 5/7 seasons. Julio always had Ryan and averaged 9-10 yards per target. Hopkins had one season over 9 Yards per target in 2018. Bill O’Brien is an idiot to trade him when he finally got a good QB.

Just now, falcons007 said:

Yep. Hopkins had Bad QBs 5/7 seasons. Julio always had Ryan and averaged 9-10 yards per target. Hopkins had one season over 9 Yards per target in 2018. Bill O’Brien is an idiot to trade him when he finally got a good QB.

That 2018 season was phenomenal. 0 drops. And some amazing snatches to go along with it

I’ve always thought Hopkins belonged in the Julio and AB debates. He has played with bad QB’s and he’s great at everything. Personally, I think he’s better than Thomas and probably better than Julio now.

However, if all 3 guys were 25, I’d take Julio without hesitation.