Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jdrizzle

Covid-19 thread 2.0

45 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Give it time.

At first it was only Seattle.

Then New York.

Then the coasts and wasn't really hitting the south...

This thing doesn't stop and comes to everyone's town eventually...

It's very concerning that Chicago has developed its own strain as that could indicate it's mutating.

Yeah. My city became a hot spot last week. Cases were rising steadily for the whole week. Hit the jails hard. All of the inmates have been tested but I haven't checked for an update. Before they were tested more than 20 inmates had tested positive. Not sure if those were new inmates or inmates that were already in. 

9 minutes ago, Boner said:

Hey guys, did you know that "both sides" are guilty of making the wearing of masks, during a global pandemic, political.  I just learned that a few minutes ago.  My mind is blown.  And here I thought it was only moronic conservatives who have made this a political issue.  How wrong I was!!!

That is because you live in a liberal hole and can't see what is really going on!

Go back to Safe Place and think that every conservative doesn't care about spreading Covid because I guess in your mind we don't have elderly relatives or family members with underlying medical conditions. Do you really think that makes any sense?

The truth of the matter is that it was made political by both sides, far right didn't want to be told what to do and far left started screaming and raising heck and calling them uncaring people. Both sides are wrong!

1 minute ago, BamaBirdLady said:

That is because you live in a liberal hole and can't see what is really going on!

Go back to Safe Place and think that every conservative doesn't care about spreading Covid because I guess in your mind we don't have elderly relatives or family members with underlying medical conditions. Do you really think that makes any sense?

The truth of the matter is that it was made political by both sides, far right didn't want to be told what to do and far left started screaming and raising heck and calling them uncaring people. Both sides are wrong!

Lol

Ever wondered why on so many issues the right seems to be on the wrong side of science?  

There’s not a “both sides” to this.  Science has shown that masks reduce the spread of the virus.  Period.  The left isn’t “correct” here.  The scientists has shown what works and everybody should follow their advice.  But somehow it’s a certain segment of the right that’s opposing it.  So it’s not “liberals and conservatives are wrong”.  It’s “science shows this works and many on the right oppose it.”  

By the way, this is the exact situation with anti-vaxxers on the left, which is the only issue that I can think of where you see segments of the left on the wrong side of science.  But again, it’s not left versus right.  It’s scientists versus those who ignore/reject them.  

24 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Ever wondered why on so many issues the right seems to be on the wrong side of science?  

There’s not a “both sides” to this.  Science has shown that masks reduce the spread of the virus.  Period.  The left isn’t “correct” here.  The scientists has shown what works and everybody should follow their advice.  But somehow it’s a certain segment of the right that’s opposing it.  So it’s not “liberals and conservatives are wrong”.  It’s “science shows this works and many on the right oppose it.”  

By the way, this is the exact situation with anti-vaxxers on the left, which is the only issue that I can think of where you see segments of the left on the wrong side of science.  But again, it’s not left versus right.  It’s scientists versus those who ignore/reject them.  

I think a lot of people are wondering why we were told that masks were of no use. There are people, right or wrong, who don't like the messages that seem to change as the wind blows. The same thing goes with wearing gloves, first we must, then we find out a whole different story that many of us knew. These gloves are made for single use, not to be worn for hours at a time and to be worn as you touch multiple items.

I wear a mask, but to be honest, when I have to put on my glasses and they fog up, or when I sneeze there they puff out,  I do wonder how much good they are doing. I will continue to wear my mask, but I don't fault anyone for making their own decisions. If I see someone without a mask, I can practice social distancing.

1 hour ago, BamaBirdLady said:

So tell me this, why do they report the test findings if not the track and trace the origin? Oh, so you are saying that they only do it to get the number of case, really!

Stop for 1 second and think about that rationale....do you think that maybe by knowing who and where the cases are cropping up they might want to know that? Maybe they might want to know these things so if they see a sharp incline they can make ready extra medical supplies and personnel. Or ya know, maybe you are right, lol, they just want to see the numbers of cases so they can post them on a website.🤦‍♀️

Do you know anyone who tested positive?  i do, and no contact tracing was done.  I repeat, no contact tracing is being done.

1 minute ago, MoeBiden said:

Do you know anyone who tested positive?  i do, and no contact tracing was done.  I repeat, no contact tracing is being done.

I do and yes there was tracing. I don't know where you are from, but my cousin who lives in middle GA tested positive and they ended up testing everyone in his family, friends he had been in contact with and his employees.

I do and yes there was tracing. I don't know where you are from, but my cousin who lives in middle GA tested positive and they ended up testing everyone in his family, friends he had been in contact with and his employees.

So he had only been around his family, friends, and employees?  Did he spend any time in the public at all?  

Just to clarify my stance because i dont explain much on here in detail.  It's possible to contract trace with STI's because you can identify exactly who you've had sexual relations with.  You can't contact trace for Covid without a way to monitor movement.  We're dealing with a disease thats spread via air droplets.  Unless everyone at every location your cousin and others who spent time at was tested, its not contact tracing.  Thats the reason I was for a full lockdown until case numbers plateau to single digits.  Americans would never consent to be traced by the government, and thats why we're ******.  

Just now, eatcorn said:

Recommendations change as science reveals new information. 

People who value science understand that simple fact.

Naw bruh. I take the first scientific info I get and I stick with it unyielding till the end of tim! Checkmate!

26 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I think a lot of people are wondering why we were told that masks were of no use. There are people, right or wrong, who don't like the messages that seem to change as the wind blows. The same thing goes with wearing gloves, first we must, then we find out a whole different story that many of us knew. These gloves are made for single use, not to be worn for hours at a time and to be worn as you touch multiple items.

I wear a mask, but to be honest, when I have to put on my glasses and they fog up, or when I sneeze there they puff out,  I do wonder how much good they are doing. I will continue to wear my mask, but I don't fault anyone for making their own decisions. If I see someone without a mask, I can practice social distancing.

8 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

Recommendations change as science reveals new information. 

People who value science understand that simple fact.

This, but moreover the changed occurred (as I understand it) because at first they didn’t realize it only credibly spread through larger water droplets instead of smaller ones that can easily get through a mask.  They also didn’t realize how much it was spread through water droplets versus other forms of contact.  Once the scientists discovered more about how it spread, including evidence from other countries, they altered the recommendations accordingly.  

And while science isn’t perfect, it’s a LOT more accurate than ideological or partisan arguments like “big gub’ment don’t tell me what to do!”. But frankly, one of the reasons that so many on the right reject the arguments of scientists is a combination of pathetic leadership by Trump who himself won’t listen to the scientists and a bunch of internet grifters/conspiracy theorists who make a lot of money spreading anti-mask (and anti-vaccine) disinformation on social media.  And Trump and other Republicans have helped peddle those same conspiracies, telling followers that they should believe the likes of InfoWars and Breitbart instead of scientists in his own administration.  Doesn’t help when the entire GOP is complicit in the grift by sitting on the sidelines because they’re afraid Trump will mean Twitter at them.  

If you think that is at all partisan, remember that Trump made his political start spreading the stupid “birther” conspiracy theory and pushing people like Alex Jones (Trump appeared on his show multiple times), Breitbart (Steve Bannon ran that site for awhile), and now he’s pushing OAN.  Sorry, but again you have scientists demonstrating what works to combat this and you have Trump and his conspiracy theorist friends arguing against them.  That’s why a segment of the right is out there not wearing masks.  Has nothing to do with Democrats or the left.

18 minutes ago, MoeBiden said:

Just to clarify my stance because i dont explain much on here in detail.  It's possible to contract trace with STI's because you can identify exactly who you've had sexual relations with.  You can't contact trace for Covid without a way to monitor movement.  We're dealing with a disease thats spread via air droplets.  Unless everyone at every location your cousin and others who spent time at was tested, its not contact tracing.  Thats the reason I was for a full lockdown until case numbers plateau to single digits.  Americans would never consent to be traced by the government, and thats why we're ******.  

Of course you can't trace every person you saw at Kroger, but you can trace those you know  you had contact with. That information can be used to test those people and then of those people who test positive, do the same thing, test the people they had contact with. 

We had a lock down not to bring the number of cases down, we had a lock down to endure the medical community could serve those that were sick. 

Here is a definition of contract tracing from the CDC website that might clear this matter up.

Contact Tracing

What is contact tracing?

Contact tracing is used by health departments to prevent the spread of infectious disease. In general, contact tracing involves identifying people who have an infectious disease (cases) and their contacts (people who may have been exposed) and working with them to interrupt disease transmission. For COVID-19, this includes asking cases to isolate and contacts to quarantine at home voluntarily.

Contact tracing for COVID-19 typically involves

• Interviewing people with COVID-19 to identify everyone with whom they had close contact during the time they may have been infectious,
  • Notifying contacts of their potential exposure,
  • Referring contacts for testing,
  • Monitoring contacts for signs and symptoms of COVID-19, and
  • Connecting contacts with services they might need during the self-quarantine period.

To prevent the further spread of disease, COVID-19 contacts are encouraged to stay home and maintain social distance (at least 6 feet) from others until 14 days after their last exposure to a person with COVID-19. Contacts should monitor themselves by checking their temperature twice daily and watching for symptoms of COVID-19.

10 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

This, but moreover the changed occurred (as I understand it) because at first they didn’t realize it only credibly spread through larger water droplets instead of smaller ones that can easily get through a mask.  They also didn’t realize how much it was spread through water droplets versus other forms of contact.  Once the scientists discovered more about how it spread, including evidence from other countries, they altered the recommendations accordingly.  

And while science isn’t perfect, it’s a LOT more accurate than ideological or partisan arguments like “big gub’ment don’t tell me what to do!”. But frankly, one of the reasons that so many on the right reject the arguments of scientists is a combination of pathetic leadership by Trump who himself won’t listen to the scientists and a bunch of internet grifters/conspiracy theorists who make a lot of money spreading anti-mask (and anti-vaccine) disinformation on social media.  And Trump and other Republicans have helped peddle those same conspiracies, telling followers that they should believe the likes of InfoWars and Breitbart instead of scientists in his own administration.  Doesn’t help when the entire GOP is complicit in the grift by sitting on the sidelines because they’re afraid Trump will mean Twitter at them.  

If you think that is at all partisan, remember that Trump made his political start spreading the stupid “birther” conspiracy theory and pushing people like Alex Jones (Trump appeared on his show multiple times), Breitbart (Steve Bannon ran that site for awhile), and now he’s pushing OAN.  Sorry, but again you have scientists demonstrating what works to combat this and you have Trump and his conspiracy theorist friends arguing against them.  That’s why a segment of the right is out there not wearing masks.  Has nothing to do with Democrats or the left.

Just trying to give you an understanding of why some people might feel that way, not going to argue with you about this. 

7 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Just trying to give you an understanding of why some people might feel that way, not going to argue with you about this. 

They feel that way because they’ve been told to feel that way by Trump and people in Trump’s orbit like Roger Stone and Alex Jones, because Trump thinks that will help him politically.  And it’s being pushed on social media by conspiracy theory nutjobs like Wayne Dupree who have made a living pushing insane conspiracy theories to Trump supporters.  It has nothing to do with the left or Democrats.

Yeeesh https://news.yahoo.com/u-response-covid-19-worse-110039444.html

U.S. Response to COVID-19 is Worse than China’s. 100 Times Worse.

COVID-19 remains an ongoing threat and the U.S. has just reached a tragic milestone in the pandemic that may not get much attention. The COVID-19 death rate in the U.S. has now passed 340 per million residents, just over 100 times the rate in China.

Let that sink in: The death rate from COVID-19 in the U.S. is 100 times greater than it is in China, where the virus first emerged in humans and where the Trump Administration claims the blame should lie for letting the pandemic get out of hand.

And it’s not just China that kept its death rate low. Austria, Germany, and Greece have significantly lower per-capita mortality rates than the U.S. In the East Asia and Pacific region, Australia, Hong Kong, Mongolia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand were all able to keep their COVID-19 fatalities below 7 deaths per million residents. Vietnam, with a population of 96 million, has suffered no reported deaths at all. Countries that acted early and effectively on the available information were able to avoid the worst of the pandemic.

The stark disparity in COVID-19 death rates between the U.S. and other countries illustrates the enormous difference between the effectiveness of the U.S. and successful countries’ responses to the pandemic.

Let’s start with China, where the first suspected case of COVID-19 emerged on Dec. 8, 2019. By Dec. 31, Chinese authorities had informed the World Health Organization (WHO) about the threat. By Jan. 12, Chinese scientists had identified the virus that causes the illness and shared its genetic sequence with the world so that all countries could develop COVID-19 tests and begin working on a vaccine.

1 hour ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Social distancing is pointless if you have a mask and they dont. You can walk in a spot within an allotted time where someone without a mask who has it and decided to cough or sneeze with nothing covered and you still may catch it all because they decided not to give a crap. If they have any type of covering on their mouth and nose then the odds are much slimmer. 

If your glasses are fogging up then you're likely not wearing yours properly or you have a bigger than needed opening at your nose. The only time my glasses fog up is if I put on a cloth mask that doesnt fit tight. When that happens the mask comes off and another one goes on. Also, gloves do more harm than good. That's why its suggested to wash your hands and use sanitizer after so long.  I dont recall gloves ever being  a real suggestion 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Social distancing is pointless if you have a mask and they dont. You can walk in a spot within an allotted time where someone without a mask who has it and decided to cough or sneeze with nothing covered and you still may catch it all because they decided not to give a crap. If they have any type of covering on their mouth and nose then the odds are much slimmer. 

If your glasses are fogging up then you're likely not wearing yours properly or you have a bigger than needed opening at your nose. The only time my glasses fog up is if I put on a cloth mask that doesnt fit tight. When that happens the mask comes off and another one goes on. Also, gloves do more harm than good. That's why its suggested to wash your hands and use sanitizer after so long.  I dont recall gloves ever being  a real suggestion 

Yeah, I stopped wearing the gloves several weeks ago. It is to hard to deal with things out in public, like my wallet or retrieving a credit card and such. Just easier to sanitize my hands after the fact. I also keep sani-wipes in my vehicle and when I walk out of a store I wipe down everything in my car. I have the routine down pat, and never do I touch my fingers to my face while out in the public.

21 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yeah, I stopped wearing the gloves several weeks ago. It is to hard to deal with things out in public, like my wallet or retrieving a credit card and such. Just easier to sanitize my hands after the fact. I also keep sani-wipes in my vehicle and when I walk out of a store I wipe down everything in my car. I have the routine down pat, and never do I touch my fingers to my face while out in the public.

The hardest adjustment I've had to make was not scratching my nose and rubbing my eyes. Luckily I've been off work for the past month so I've been going crazy with it lol. But I still try to maintain the habit of not doing it. 

I go back tomorrow and already told myself I'm not going out unless I have to. Hopefully masks are mandatory because i wont take a chance. A total of more than 15 people at one of our sister plants have tested positive including 8 recent cases. The entire plant had to get tested. Dont know an update. I work inside of a lab so I only have to leave if necessary. I dont like to sit in one spot but I will now. Thankfully I have a private office and company internet lol