Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think our offensive line is a top 5-10 unit if it stats healthy?

To be around top 10, they'll need LG to solidify, and McGary to really take a step forward.

That's what I'm hoping for...seriously doubt they get to top 5, but if they can be in the 10-12 area, that'll be better than we normally have by far, and will let the O open.

I definitely think it's possible but probably a year away from being top 5-10. Lets break it down:

LT – Jake Matthews - Even though some people have mixed feelings about him, we know what he brings to the table and it's easily above average IMO. He and Matt have built a good chemistry and trust over the years. Lets put a solid LG next to him (like when we had Levitre) and watch him go back to being the dominant player on this line.

LG – XXX - This is the question mark that could make or break this o-line. Lots of options that could provide value for us but need to find the right piece. I'm pulling for Matt Gono to start but we've got great depth with Carpenter, Brown, or Hennessey. Hoping another year in the same system will help these guys think a little less and start taking the next step.

C – Alex Mack - Pro Bowler who has been a top center in the league for years.  I cant believe I'm writing this, but I'm a little worried about Macks longevity/health.  Don't get me wrong, Mack on a bad day is still better than half the leagues centers but i want to build a dominant line for years to come. This is another reason I hope Gono wins LG and not Hennessey. I want Hennessey to be ready to take over for center in case Mack goes down without having to reshuffle the entire line.

RG – Lindstrom - I was really really impressed with his rookie season, especially under the circumstances he faced.  Getting injured so early would have set back a worse RG way further than it did him. He never looked overmatched and was in great position to help our RBs get a clean lane to run. If he continues to develop then we can all sleep a little easier at night.

RT – McGary - I think he experienced what we all would expect of a rookie O linemen. Some positives and some negatives but boy do I like his size and demeanor.  Lets continue his development alongside his bash-brother Lindstrom and our right side of the line will be locked up for next 5 years.

To sum up this long rant... YES it could happen. If Koetter can get the run game going with Gurley and make this offense less predictable then I think it could be a huge year for the Falcons.

Top 10 is a maybe. I was originally thinking 12-15 which should be plenty fine with the talent at the skill positions. Another year in together, even with a Covid-offseason, the gelling should be evident with the added confidence of a year under the belt on the right side!  Let’s hope a clear front runner jumps out for the LG position!

2 hours ago, Snozberies17 said:

I definitely think it's possible but probably a year away from being top 5-10. Lets break it down:

LT – Jake Matthews - Even though some people have mixed feelings about him, we know what he brings to the table and it's easily above average IMO. He and Matt have built a good chemistry and trust over the years. Lets put a solid LG next to him (like when we had Levitre) and watch him go back to being the dominant player on this line.

LG – XXX - This is the question mark that could make or break this o-line. Lots of options that could provide value for us but need to find the right piece. I'm pulling for Matt Gono to start but we've got great depth with Carpenter, Brown, or Hennessey. Hoping another year in the same system will help these guys think a little less and start taking the next step.

C – Alex Mack - Pro Bowler who has been a top center in the league for years.  I cant believe I'm writing this, but I'm a little worried about Macks longevity/health.  Don't get me wrong, Mack on a bad day is still better than half the leagues centers but i want to build a dominant line for years to come. This is another reason I hope Gono wins LG and not Hennessey. I want Hennessey to be ready to take over for center in case Mack goes down without having to reshuffle the entire line.

RG – Lindstrom - I was really really impressed with his rookie season, especially under the circumstances he faced.  Getting injured so early would have set back a worse RG way further than it did him. He never looked overmatched and was in great position to help our RBs get a clean lane to run. If he continues to develop then we can all sleep a little easier at night.

RT – McGary - I think he experienced what we all would expect of a rookie O linemen. Some positives and some negatives but boy do I like his size and demeanor.  Lets continue his development alongside his bash-brother Lindstrom and our right side of the line will be locked up for next 5 years.

To sum up this long rant... YES it could happen. If Koetter can get the run game going with Gurley and make this offense less predictable then I think it could be a huge year for the Falcons.

Makes a lot of sense.....next year what could be

McGary wasn't help by going against Vic Beasley, who is just a speed rush guy, and Takk McKinley, who is just a bull rush guy. When he saw actual professional pass rush moves, he got blown away at times. With Donte Fowler and Charles Harris, he will grow,  playing against guys who use actual pass rush moves. He has film of what guys were trying to do to him. The only other question is LG. We have Hennessy and Carpenter to compete there. I think in total, this line will be improved.  I don't think that it's a necessity to have a top 5 Oline. Top 10 to 13 is plenty good enough and with our talent. If we can get the run game established with this group, we will be hard to stop.

1 hour ago, trubirdfan4life said:

McGary wasn't help by going against Vic Beasley, who is just a speed rush guy, and Takk McKinley, who is just a bull rush guy. When he saw actual professional pass rush moves, he got blown away at times. With Donte Fowler and Charles Harris, he will grow,  playing against guys who use actual pass rush moves. He has film of what guys were trying to do to him. The only other question is RG. We have Hennessy and Carpenter to compete there. I think in total, this line will be improved.  I don't think that it's a necessity to have a top 5 Oline. Top 10 to 13 is plenty good enough and with our talent. If we can get the run game established with this group, we will be hard to stop.

I think you mean LG?

No. A lot of players who are solid but no @$$ kickers playing at an elite level like a Jason Kelce/Trent Williams type. Blocking scheme and coaching is also very questionable. 

No, the young ones still have a couple of years to mature and get better, we still have questions at guard and we are never healthy on the OL so expect a couple of OL starters to end up on IR

With our offensive fire power, we don’t need a top 5, or even ten, oline to succeed.  We just can’t have liabilities anywhere like we have had in passed years.  I would gladly take five average to above average linemen than two top five guys and the other three below average.  

I think Matthews is still a top LT in the league.  Curious to see if Hennesey gets the starting LG spot, him being between Jake and Alex is a much better situation as a rookie than having McGary on an island with no help last year.  Mack still had a year or two left in him as a top ten center.  Excited to see a full season of Lindstrom and liked what he showed last year when healthy.  Will be really curious to see how McGary develops into year two, even if it’s a shorter off season than normal, it will still be more than he got last year.

So that said, I think if they stay healthy they could be top ten, which is all we really need and haven’t had since 16.

I would need to review the top 15 lines of the league and compare. 

Plus, we aren’t sure who will complete the five at left Guard yet to give a fair quote

With that said, I would say our O line, if healthy, will be at the least better than average.

We have very good talent at 3/5 spots (LT,C,RG) a high potential but inconsistent RT and who knows at LG. If McGary can make a nice jump out line should be pretty good regardless of how LG shakes out. Let’s just hope DK doesn’t just keep calling long developing routes and letting Matt out to die. They ‘should’ be able to run block if nothing else.

I'm more confident in our O-line taking a huge step forward, this year, than our D-Line.  They finished solid last year, and I think Lindstrom and McGary will look much better in their 2nd season.  They both showed some really good stuff down the stretch in 2019.  

I think a top 10 finish is a very real possibility, if we can stay healthy.