Was Colin Cowherd right about Matt?

5 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Check out the total value of Matt Ryan's current contract:

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

He is severely overpaid. But yet that is the Falcons way...

I just wonder how many guys making below 30 a year will outplay our #2 this year...

Simpleton homer fans SMH... Like the dregs of men left to be entertained by Gladiators in days of old lol. You guy's will take whatever is given as long as it isn't too painful huh? Sheesh. I'm just tired of paying a Top 15 QB Top 5 cash! That's just like corporate cronyism staying alive for too long imo. Initially it doesn't seem so bad but in the long run everyone's gonna be pissed. Either by the fact that we didn't properly build the team around Matt sooner or by pundits who feel we hamstring ourselves cap-wise with poorly thought out contract offers. That's just inevitable. Either way Matt peaked in 2016. Let's just try and accept that.

Only a handful if that.  You do know that you are trying so hard to push your agenda that you invalidate your own premise.  Right? 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go be a fan of a different team if you don’t like our Franchise QB 😷

What a crock. No wonder you bring up cowherd, who has never been right about anything. Ever.  Anyone who uses him as a reference has zippo cred with me.

If you think Cowturd is right about Ryan than you got issues. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

LMAO.  Another epic fail for the MR trolls.

It’s like you bozos warm up the same leftovers for the 2,569th time, put it on a new plate & try to force people to eat it.

But as usual, it’s nasty, moldy and stinks to high heaven. So for the 2,569th time in a row your crap gets rejected & thrown in the garage.

All we really needed to do is dumpster dive & dig up all the other troll threads that didn’t pass the smell test.  So like clockwork, OP emerges from the dumpster with this old 2017 plate of rotting garbage from cowturd. As usual it got rejected as troll rot & op gets exposed. 

But rest assured, the hate is strong here.  Surely the next group of haters are already crawling around in the sour milk of that dumpster, ready to serve up the next plate of rancid troll food.

Sorry OP, you stink man.  Massive fail.  Go back & root around in those used coffee grinds, 3 year old bacon grease & sour milk... whatever it is you dig up again, it’ll be the same crock of **** you MR haters always serve up.

Well, the essence of the sanity test lies within the source.  The OP is quoting Colin Cowherd.  Does anyone need to know more that this?

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

Your point is taken, but that's not the only reason;  I mean, the Giants defense didn't earn two Super Bowl MVP trophies, Eli did.  Two of those will get any player into the Hall. 

I can agree that he earned the MVP of his last Super Bowl, but you will never convince me that he deserved his first one. 56% comp, 2tds and and int. Meanwhile, the defense held the Pats to only 14 points. When they were dominating all year and never scored below 20 all season. Just look at some of the scores they were consistently putting up. There was someone more deserving on defense like Justin Tuck.

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yep, why people try an attack the best QB this franchise has ever had?  They must've forgot the Kim McQuilken's, Joey Harrington;s, Pat Sullivan's, etc.

Remember Kurt Kittner?  He would throw the ball and I could not tell who the intended receiver was.  Then, Kurt would stand there wringing his hands.  He had the worst case of Deer in the Headlights I have ever witnessed.  Unfortunately, as I recall, the Falcons were down to him with no one else to play. 

1 hour ago, NaGaBoy said:

Well, the essence of the sanity test lies within the source.  The OP is quoting Colin Cowherd.  Does anyone need to know more that this?

Well, at least you acknowledge Cowherds lack of credibility.

But then you overlook OP’s quite obvious attack of our QB, thus giving credit to Cowherd.

The sanity test you speak of has been failed innumerable times by the MR trolls including this epic fail.  Lmao!

On 5/23/2020 at 3:33 PM, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

So basically we have a HOF QB who AVERAGES 26 TDS, 13 Ints, 4300 YDS  at a grading of 93 per season...

Similar seasonal stats to a couple of QBS not named Andy Dalton as well. Meanwhile being clearly outdistanced by a handful of guys with less than 5 years in the league!

Top 10? Sure.

Top 5? NOPE.

Love the Falcons. But let's not call charades. Matt is above average at best. And he's been overpaid since he got here. That's just the facts.

Matt Ryan per 16 game season, excluding best (2016) and worst (2009) seasons
384.81/586.87 (65.57%) for 4,359.85 yards (7.43 ypa), 26.26 TDs (4.48% rate) & 12.68 INTs (2.16%), 2.07 TD:INT ratio

Andy Dalton per 16 game season, excluding best (2015) and worst (2019) seasons
327.18/528.60 (61.90%) for 3,715.89 yards (7.03 ypa), 24.37 TDs (4.61% rate) & 14.50 INTs (2.74%), 1.68 TD:INT ratio

Matt is easily a top 4 QB drafted since 2006. I think Matt right now is better than Rodgers or Brady right now. I think the only QBs I'd even consider ranking above Matt going into the 2020 season are Mahomes, Wilson, Brees, and Watson. Prescott is right around Matt's range and Stafford is probably a bit below that.

For comparison, here are the other QBs who either are or at some point have been considered "elite".

Aaron Rodgers per 16 game season, excluding best (2011) and worst (2015) seasons (as well as first 3 seasons behind Favre)
360.17/551.38 (64.69%) for 4,268.87 yards (7.74 ypa), 32.11 TDs (5.82% rate) & 7.72 INTs (1.40%), 4.16 TD:INT ratio

Drew Brees per 16 game season, excluding best (2018) and worst (2003) seasons (as well as first seasons behind Flutie)
405.35/599.29 (67.64%) for 4,586.77 yards (7.65 ypa), 32.45 TDs (5.42% rate) & 14 INTs (2.34%), 2.32 TD:INT ratio

Tom Brady per 16 game season, excluding best (2007) and worst (2002) seasons (as well as first season behind Bledsoe & 08 injured season)
356.84/560.64 (63.65%) for 4202.01 yards (7.50 ypa), 29.51 TDs (5.26% rate) & 10.01 INTs (1.79%), 2.95 TD:INT ratio

Russell Wilson per 16 game season, excluding best (2018) and worst (2016) seasons
300.50/467.33 (64.30%) for 3,677.83 yards (7.87 ypa), 28.5 TDs (6.10% rate) & 8.33 INTs (1.78%), 3.42 TD:INT ratio

A few that are more considered to be in Matt's range, "great but not elite" types

Ben Roethlisberger per 16 game season, excluding best (2007) and worst (2006) seasons
349.53/541.02 (64.61%) for 4,244.94 yards (7.85 ypa), 26.64 (4.92% rate) & 13.36 INTs (2.47%), 1.99 TD:INT ratio

Philip Rivers per 16 game season, excluding best (2008) and worst (2007) seasons (as well as first 2 seasons behind Brees)
358.50/551.92 (64.96%) for 4,330.17 yards (7.85 ypa), 28.42 (5.15% rate) & 14.25 INTs (2.58%), 1.99 TD:INT ratio

Matthew Stafford per 16 game season, excluding best (2011) and worst (2009) seasons
382.05/605.66 (63.08%) for 4,386.34 yards (7.24 ypa), 26.28 (4.33% rate) & 12.74 INTs (2.10%), 2.06 TD:INT ratio

Kirk Cousins per 16 game season, excluding best (2019) and worst (2014) seasons (as well as first 2 seasons behind RG3)
389.25/573.75 (67.84%) for 4,368.50 yards (7.61 ypa), 27.75 (4.84% rate) & 11.50 INTs (2.00%), 2.41 TD:INT ratio

All the other guys I'd like to do this exercise with (Dak, Watson, Mahomes) haven't played enough seasons to really even bother.

21 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

Remember Kurt Kittner?  He would throw the ball and I could not tell who the intended receiver was.  Then, Kurt would stand there wringing his hands.  He had the worst case of Deer in the Headlights I have ever witnessed.  Unfortunately, as I recall, the Falcons were down to him with no one else to play. 

We had a lot of bad ones, I tried to limit it to three. 

On 5/23/2020 at 3:51 PM, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I don’t care about Matts “records” it’s a passing league those same records will be shattered by the next . Matt for the most part is Above Average when everything is perfect just like Carson Palmer , Phillip Rivers & all the other try hards who always fell short . So essentially Cowherd is right . Matt is overpaid when you put numbers aside . Those “HOF” numbers are just fluff for Falcon fans . Same ones that champion him “the best Falcon QB of all time” like that’s some significant feat . I don’t hate him but I don’t love him either . Also not a homer so yea I agree . 

I was about to post that but you covered it.  Every quarterback in the league has padded stats when you compare them to the historic nature of the league of being a running back league.  The NFL, just like the NBA and MLB, has instituted rule changes to convert their sports to offensive affairs. 

Thats why critics of Ryan ignore his stats.  Before the early 2000s, if a quarterback threw for 3,000 yards in a season, that was a BIG season.  Quarterbacks now routinely pass for 4,000 yards. Heck, Cousins is a baller in this new league thats catered to offense.  Nobody mentions him either as one of the best because purists know who can REALLY play the position at a top level under any conditions.

I agree. Ryan is above average.  Not as bad as his critics say. Not as good as his homers say...

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2020 at 4:50 PM, dapanch420 said:

well guys like wilson, rodgers, mahomes, brees, etc. dont grow on trees so youll be waiting awhile or forever...

Justin Fields.  Trevor Lawrence.  Jordan Love.  Jamie Newman ( rumors that he is projected to the Steelers if they can get the pick),  DJ Uiagalelei.  Thats just off the top of my head.  Those quarterbacks that are coming out of college over the next two seasons,  have the potential to be the quarterbacks you just named.  The college and Pro game has changed.  They are developing these dual threat quarterbacks now instead of trying to make them play receiver at the pro level.  Different game now.  Matt Lafluer is gonna develop Jordan Love into a fantastic quarterback...

Edited by Spts1
9 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Justin Fields.  Trevor Lawrence.  Jordan Love.  Jamie Newman ( rumors that he is projected to the Steelers if they can get the pick),  DJ Uiagalelei.  Thats just off the top of my head.  Those quarterbacks that are coming out of college over the next two seasons,  have the potential to be the quarterbacks you just named.  The college and Pro game has changed.  They are developing these dual threat quarterbacks now instead of trying to make them play receiver at the pro level.  Different game now.  Matt Lafluer is gonna develop Jordan Love into a fantastic quarterback...

The only one of those QBs who is in any way likely to be anywhere close to a Mahomes/Brees/Wilson level is Lawrence. Newman and Love are nowhere close. Fields has a small shot but not one that I'd want to bet on. I literally don't even know who the last guy you named was. Trey Lance is a more interesting prospect next year than Jordan Love was this year or Jamie freaking Newman.

1 hour ago, Kayoh said:

The only one of those QBs who is in any way likely to be anywhere close to a Mahomes/Brees/Wilson level is Lawrence. Newman and Love are nowhere close. Fields has a small shot but not one that I'd want to bet on. I literally don't even know who the last guy you named was. Trey Lance is a more interesting prospect next year than Jordan Love was this year or Jamie freaking Newman.

Joe Burrow was fifth round material until he had one good season.  Every quarterback I listed has better physical  talents than Joe Burrow. Joe Burrow got drafted first. My point is if Burrow can get it together,  the ones I listed definitely can.

DJ  is the recruit from California that signed with Clemson.  He has the physical  tools to be better than Lawrence. Not saying he will, just saying he has the talent to be better... 

7 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Joe Burrow was fifth round material until he had one good season.  Every quarterback I listed has better physical  talents than Joe Burrow. Joe Burrow got drafted first. My point is if Burrow can get it together,  the ones I listed definitely can.

DJ  is the recruit from California that signed with Clemson.  He has the physical  tools to be better than Lawrence. Not saying he will, just saying he has the talent to be better... 

One year wonder QBs are much riskier than ones with great historical production like Lawrence. If given the choice between any 2021 QB or any 2020 QB, Lawrence would easily be my QB1.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Bingo. Heck even Jarrett Stidham may look half decent this year for less than half the pay. Insane that people still don't like to accept the hard lessons of basic economics! No matter how good they try to make it look! The FO of the Atlanta Falcons may as well star in eir own episode of MadMen starring Blank, McKay& their miny sidekick Troffed!😄

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

This is the way I look at it. The QB gets all the blame and all the glory. There are about 30 other guys that have to do there jobs to win a game. If Atlanta had a top 10 defense the last 6 years I bet Ryan has two Superbowls. You think Joe Flaco has two superbowls with out that Defense. I think in one superbowl he only had like a 50% pass completion. Ryan is a Top 5 QB. And that is good enough to get to superbowls. It’s what the other 30 people do that determine if you get there.

38 minutes ago, Caddieman said:

You think Joe Flaco has two superbowls with out that Defense. I think in one superbowl he only had like a 50% pass completion. Ryan is a Top 5 QB. And that is good enough to get to superbowls. It’s what the other 30 people do that determine if you get there.

I think you mean little ben Roethlisberger.