Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
birdz4i

Deone Bucannon gives Falcons 17 first-round picks on their roster

Josh Alper
May 22, 2020, 10:33 AM

When the Falcons added tight end Hayden Hurst, running back Todd Gurley and wide receiver Laquon Treadwell to the roster earlier this offseason, people noted that they could fill out an entire 11-man offensive unit with players who entered the NFL as first-round picks.

They’re getting closer to being able to say the same thing on the defensive side of the ball.

Linebacker Deone Bucannon became the second first-rounder to join the defense when he signed as a free agent on Thursday. The 2014 Cardinals first-round pick joins trade acquisition Charles Harris to give the Falcons 17 first-round picks on their current roster.

Seven of those players have joined the team this offseason. Bucannon, Harris, Gurley, Treadwell and Hurst are joined by defensive end Dante Fowler and cornerback A.J. Terrell, who became part of the crew during the first round of this year’s draft.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deone-bucannon-gives-falcons-17-143312279.html

21 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Pretty stupid to keep doing this as the VAST majority of these 1st rounders are someone else's failed draft.

Why? The talent was there, otherwise they would not have been first rounders. If they can be coached and get in a system better to them than what they were in, then It’s a good bet to take. The NFL is littered with stories of first rounders that bombed I. One place and had success in another. 

1 hour ago, jm_falcons said:

If Quinn takes the same coaching plan into this upcoming pre season...you can forget about any of these players improving until game 9. At which point in time...Quinn will only be an afterthought.  

Why would that even be a fear? You saw the adjustments last season. The improvement. The defense is settled with the coaching changes. I trust Raheem to develop defensive talent. For me, the only question mark is Koetter, and how well DQ can oversee that situation, so as not to need another half of a season to make corrections there if need be. I believe the Falcons are a vastly improved team compared to this time last season, including DQ. 

2 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Many are just average players or a bust.... the first rd label means nothing to me. There’s a reason some of these guys are rejects. Maybe one or two turn into the hype of a first rounder....we can dream can’t we???

We don't need these guys to turn into the hype of first rounders.  Yea, maybe they world beaters but as depth pieces they are solid.   And they are hungry to prove themselves. 

1 hour ago, abcranford2 said:

We don't need these guys to turn into the hype of first rounders.  Yea, maybe they world beaters but as depth pieces they are solid.   And they are hungry to prove themselves. 

Agree 100%

4 hours ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Why would that even be a fear? You saw the adjustments last season. The improvement. The defense is settled with the coaching changes. I trust Raheem to develop defensive talent. For me, the only question mark is Koetter, and how well DQ can oversee that situation, so as not to need another half of a season to make corrections there if need be. I believe the Falcons are a vastly improved team compared to this time last season, including DQ. 

Saw those same adjustments and improvements the year before as well. Seen this song and dance too many times.

26 minutes ago, jetpac said:

Saw those same adjustments and improvements the year before as well. Seen this song and dance too many times.

I see. So, you see no reason at all for any sort of hope for this coming season. Right? What is your position, then? Public Falcons naysayer? Do you hope I'm right, or do you just want the Falcons to keep sucking so you can be proven right?

20 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I see. So, you see no reason at all for any sort of hope for this coming season. Right? What is your position, then? Public Falcons naysayer? Do you hope I'm right, or do you just want the Falcons to keep sucking so you can be proven right?

Just because I’m speaking facts about what I’ve seen doesn’t mean I’m not rooting for the team. I think y’all get so hurt when people don’t drink the kool aid. 

8 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Pretty stupid to keep doing this as the VAST majority of these 1st rounders are someone else's failed draft.

Thats what Bill Belicheck had being doing for years. Now, Can you DQ make some of it work? We shall see.  The change of scenery may do well, look at Eagles signing bunch of guys like Warmack, who was considered failed first rounders and others in 2017. 

6 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Thats what Bill Belicheck had being doing for years. Now, Can you DQ make some of it work? We shall see.  The change of scenery may do well, look at Eagles signing bunch of guys like Warmack, who was considered failed first rounders and others in 2017. 

DQ can barely coach future HOF players, I doubt he will get anything out of busts.

15 hours ago, Des-pool said:

Why? The talent was there, otherwise they would not have been first rounders. If they can be coached and get in a system better to them than what they were in, then It’s a good bet to take. The NFL is littered with stories of first rounders that bombed I. One place and had success in another. 

Good point. I remember the Raiders filled their team with drafts busts and that team won a superbowl 

18 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Many are just average players or a bust.... the first rd label means nothing to me. There’s a reason some of these guys are rejects. Maybe one or two turn into the hype of a first rounder....we can dream can’t we???

source.gif