Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mister pudding

Berry good or Berry bad FA?

4 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Worth the risk with a 1 year cheap deal? His wisdom alone would be worth the signing imo 

Yep agree I like the wisdom but our DB coach should have plenty lol. I’d be ok with it if he’s close to be what he use to be...but that’s the unknown

3 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Yep agree I like the wisdom but our DB coach should have plenty lol. I’d be ok with it if he’s close to be what he use to be...but that’s the unknown

Nobody better when he's healthy. Have to ensure a good workout and physical, for sure though 

I’m all aboard the Jamal Adams trade bandwagon, but this would be a wise consolation prize!  I’ve loved EB since his days at Tenn and maybe laughed a little on that pick 2 in ‘16.  If this guy is healthy and Adams is off the table...  pull the trigger!   #RiseUp

5 hours ago, KillaDrtyBrd401 said:

I’m all aboard the Jamal Adams trade bandwagon, but this would be a wise consolation prize!  I’ve loved EB since his days at Tenn and maybe laughed a little on that pick 2 in ‘16.  If this guy is healthy and Adams is off the table...  pull the trigger!   #RiseUp

I'd rather take a chance on Berry + have our next year's 1st and 3rd rounder + save $10 million a year over Adams

Posted (edited)

Only huge negative; Three years out of the game. 31 yrs old and suffered achilles ruptures twice. Got to wonder why no one signed him before. Adams with a reasonable contract is much more a sure thing.

Edited by Charles Wright

3 hours ago, Charles Wright said:

Only huge negative; Three years out of the game. 31 yrs old and suffered achilles ruptures twice. Got to wonder why no one signed him before. Adams with a reasonable contract is much more a sure thing.

Adams will be the highest paid safety with a new contract. I don't know what you mean about reasonable 

So replace a young dude with health concerns who has barely played in 2 years with a dude who has had even bigger health concerns, is several years older, and hasn't really played in 3 years?

Hard pass.

6 minutes ago, k-train said:

So replace a young dude with health concerns who has barely played in 2 years with a dude who has had even bigger health concerns, is several years older, and hasn't really played in 3 years?

Hard pass.

I never said to replace Neal

1 minute ago, Mister pudding said:

I never said to replace Neal

Who is he replacing then?

If he's healthy & can shake off the rust, you're not bringing in a dude like that to be a backup.

If he's not healthy or too rusty, what's the point of signing him?

1 minute ago, k-train said:

If he's healthy & can shake off the rust, you're not bringing in a dude like that to be a backup.

Sure you can. Similar role to Dwight Freeney here in ‘16. 

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

Berry and Rico at S with Kazee and Hawkins as backups. Sheffield and Kazee fill in at Nickel/Dime. This allows Keanu/Bucannon to man the WLB position, Debo at MLB, and Foye/Clay Matthews at SLB. Walker and Charles Harris as rotational DEs.

above is a quote from CTann

Just now, Vandy said:

Sure you can. Similar role to Dwight Freeney here in ‘16. 

So if Berry is totally healthy & able to play at a near pro bowl level still, you seriously think he'd be best suited for use as a reserve/rotational player?

That just doesn't make sense to me.

1 minute ago, Mister pudding said:

Berry and Rico at S with Kazee and Hawkins as backups. Sheffield and Kazee fill in at Nickel/Dime. This allows Keanu/Bucannon to man the WLB position, Debo at MLB, and Foye/Clay Matthews at SLB. Walker and Charles Harris as rotational DEs.

above is a quote from CTann

Yeah, see now this makes the whole thing make a bit more sense.

That said... it still feels like way too many question marks & a lot of name/former reputation chasing.

8 minutes ago, k-train said:

So if Berry is totally healthy & able to play at a near pro bowl level still, you seriously think he'd be best suited for use as a reserve/rotational player?

That just doesn't make sense to me.

Gotta start somewhere, and it’s not like we have elite safeties in ATL.  He hasn’t played much football in what, 3-4 seasons? And now in his 30’s? Doubt anyone is gonna promise him a starting safety position. If he’s anywhere close to what he once was he’d find his way to eventually starting here. If not, like I said be a great teacher/locker room vet like freeney was here in ‘16.

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yeah, see now this makes the whole thing make a bit more sense.

That said... it still feels like way too many question marks & a lot of name/former reputation chasing.

Every year that he wasn't injured was a probowl year. I don't see any downside of a cheap or incentive laden contract. He is from Georgia, so he may prefer to play here. If he is back playing great, I have no problem sitting Rico

Just now, Vandy said:

Gotta start somewhere. He hasn’t played much football in what, 3-4 seasons? And now in his 30’s? Doubt anyone is gonna promise him a starting safety position. 

We've already got enough boom/bust scenarios & reclamation projects going on with this defense IMO.

Can Neal stay healthy?
If Neal moved to WLB, would he actually make the transition with ease/success?
Can the rookies like Tyrell, Davidson, and Hawkins play well & make an impact early on?
Will Sheffield have a sophomore slump?
Will Oliver continue to improve & is he ready to be fully counted on?
Can Harris & Buchanon offer enough to live up to being former 1st rounders, or are they the busts they've shown themselves to be thus far?
Has Fowler finally started to live up to his draft status, or was last year just a contract year performance next to Aaron Donald?

Then consider we have more of the same sorta thing going on on the other side of the ball w Gurley, Treadwell, and Hurst.

That's already way too many question marks to be bringing in a dude with as many questions marks as Berry.