Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cole World

Favorite scene from the Last Dance

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

It is what it is. Not going to discredit anyones opinion. You have yours, they have theirs. 

I have no problem discrediting someone's opinion when the data points don't match the opinion.  

For some reason we've gotten to the point in our culture where opinions are more sacred than reality.

4 minutes ago, kschreck said:

I have no problem discrediting someone's opinion when the data points don't match the opinion.  

For some reason we've gotten to the point in our culture where opinions are more sacred than reality.

Lol that's cool. Not stopping you at all. I didnt think it was really this deep tbh but apparently it is to some of you. Like I said, it is what it is mate. No blood, no foul. 

4 hours ago, Charles Wright said:

Not knowing the situation, but I've passed by panhandlers many times and read the moment in MY mind and freely gave to others. Judgement is easy to speak of, but not always right.

And there's other times panhandlers just take advantage of you. I give money out sometimes but i do not do it alot. A women literally walked past a person i know, and asked the person  next to her and then went back to ask her. Like she was trying to decide who can i get the most money out of but off topic. 

I mean people work hard for their money, i know a dollar isnt anything to MJ. But once people know you give out money then they are going to start approaching you much more 

6 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The only people that don’t look at him in the same light are the people portrayed in the documentary. Jordan’s fan base will forever be loyal to him. Look at every social media post regarding Jordan OR LeBron, the comments are pathetic. 

As they should, the man brought the bulls outta the gutter and to prominence. Him and pippen got them six rings. Thats why fan will tolerate MJ's antics. 

I mean we can say the same about T.O right. He used to be an a$$hole back in the day but he still had alot of fans . Even Kobe, ive heard stories about Magic too.

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

Wouldn’t put all of that one on Jordan though.

Barkley was an a**hole too and wouldn't hold his tongue for anybody, not even jordan like many others have held their tongue 

Its different eras but Kareem, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and Dr. J were the faces of the 60's and 70's. I would put MJ, Magic, Kareem, Shaq as the 4 best nba players ever. 

Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain,  Julius Irving, Kobe, Larry Bird, Lebron, KD i put in the 2nd group.

10 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I dunno. Quite a few guys were not pleased with the way they were portrayed and some have even spoken against him. Like I said I didnt watch any of it but theres always 2 sides to a story. For now I'm gonna assume off the court MJ was a snake. Even goes back to the whole Isaiah Thomas/Olympic team debacle, not just his Bulls teammates

Nobody on the dream team wanted Isaiah there...his own coach was cool with leaving him off the dream team he was coaching :lol:

it was definitely a Jordan puff piece, but I don’t think anybody was shown in a negative light. Worst person was probably Pippen just because at one point they seemed hellbent on making him seem weak and emotional. But Jordan also let it be known he doesn’t win a championship without him so, idk. Horace Grant, Isaiah Thomas, and Scottie Pippen were the loudest voices I saw, and I felt like nothing was said negative about them that wasn’t true.

10 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I dunno. Quite a few guys were not pleased with the way they were portrayed and some have even spoken against him. Like I said I didnt watch any of it but theres always 2 sides to a story. For now I'm gonna assume off the court MJ was a snake. Even goes back to the whole Isaiah Thomas/Olympic team debacle, not just his Bulls teammates

Oh, and they turned his Flu game into a food poisoning game :lol:

Boy just admit you were drunk

3 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Nobody on the dream team wanted Isaiah there...his own coach was cool with leaving him off the dream team he was coaching :lol:

it was definitely a Jordan puff piece, but I don’t think anybody was shown in a negative light. Worst person was probably Pippen just because at one point they seemed hellbent on making him seem weak and emotional. But Jordan also let it be known he doesn’t win a championship without him so, idk. Horace Grant, Isaiah Thomas, and Scottie Pippen were the loudest voices I saw, and I felt like nothing was said negative about them that wasn’t true.

Like I said I wouldn’t know. I watched Jordan and liked him as a player but he’s not one I ever took time to get to learn about. Never was really interested, pretty much why I didn’t watch any of the documentary 

1 minute ago, Wjcorner said:

Oh, and they turned his Flu game into a food poisoning game :lol:

Boy just admit you were drunk

Lol exactly 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Thats what I’m saying. His greatest competition came from within his own conference. Jordan had the toughest era to play in. Lebron came into the league when the East was bad and it stayed bad for a pretty long time. 

Preach, the East was insane back then.  You had the Celtics, Pistons, Bulls, Knick’s, and yes.... The Hawks were d@mn good back then too.  People forget how good the Hawks teams were during that time period.  Another aspect the documentary pointed out, that I have said for years, it was a farrrrr more physical game back then.  I was all about Nique back then, really didn’t like Jordan, but after watching a good 40 plus years of ball, in my opinion he is the best.  I’m not going to get involved with the whole a hole part... if any of you guys have been in higher tier groups, the higher the tier the fiercer the competition and the more testosterone fuels everything, we are fierce competitors, it is just in our dna, so he is no different than anyone else in a higher tier group.  Be it, sports, military, etc. 

Great thread by the way, Enjoying this one immensely.

Edited by Peteshweddy

6 hours ago, Wjcorner said:

Yeah, this wasn't gonna be one of those documentaries that was going to put much negativity on MJ. I think it was already pre-agreed to. Plus it's ESPN lol.

It was more of a way for MJ to explain his point of view than anything.

I saw a report where Horace Grant was pissed off that Jordan accused him of leaking info to the journalist for the "Jordan Rules" book that was published after seeing the episode.

It kind of reminds me of the NWA movie "Straight Outta Compton" that came out a few years ago and how it portrayed Dr. Dre more in a positive light than the rest of the characters. Dre has about as much or even more negative baggage than Cube, Eazy, Ren, and others but the movie made Dre look more like a boy scout than what he really was at the time.

Not saying it's 100% what happened in this documentary, just saying that's usually what happens when you have a movie or documentary of this magnitude focused strongly on one person instead of more on a group.

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yeah, this wasn't gonna be one of those documentaries that was going to put much negativity on MJ. I think it was already pre-agreed to. Plus it's ESPN lol.

I saw a report where Horace Grant was pissed off that Jordan accused him of leaking info to the journalist for the "Jordan Rules" book that was published after seeing the episode.

It kind of reminds me of the NWA movie "Straight Outta Compton" that came out a few years ago and how it portrayed Dr. Dre more in a positive light than the rest of the characters. Dre has about as much or even more negative baggage than Cube, Eazy, Ren, and others but the movie made Dre look more like a boy scout than what he really was at the time.

Not saying it's 100% what happened in this documentary, just saying that's usually what happen when you have a movie or documentary of this magnitude focused strongly on one person instead of more on a group.

Yeah...can’t wait to see ESPN spend 6 episodes next year on 28-3 for Brady’s doc lol...can’t believe he’s getting a doc of that magnitude while still playing

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Not saying it's 100% what happened in this documentary, just saying that's usually what happen when you have a movie or documentary of this magnitude focused strongly on one person instead of more on a group.

Yeah...can’t wait to see ESPN spend 6 episodes next year on 28-3 for Brady’s doc lol...can’t believe he’s getting a doc of that magnitude while still playing

Okay, Okay. If y'all insist. I'll tell yous all story about Leadership and greatness. Why Kobe is 2nd best ever and why the a-hole makes the world go round. Everybody sit down in a circle, campfire style.

One of the most challenging aspects of leadership is articulating your vision in such a way, that your subordinates buy in and fully understand what you expect from them to achieve the desired results. If it works perfectly, then setbacks and risks will not be much of a deterrence to your overall mission. Everyone knows what to do and how to fix what's wrong without being reminded. The term "well oiled machine" comes to mind. Why? Because that's exactly what you will get. Self motivated, driven, integral, passionate, proficient and willing members of a group who all are collectively striving for the same goal at the direction of their leader.

Now, we all know that that's not what happens most of the time. Most of the time you get....people. Just regular, ordinary, everyday people. Most are 1000x more interested in resting and not giving anymore than they are getting in return, for anything that they are not going to be the ultimate beneficiary of. Mediocrity is easy and folks tend to be content with it. I got a house, food, health clothes, family, job and car!? I'M GOOD! They switch on the auto-pilot and level off at a cruising altitude.  They make up most of the force and really don't care about where the team is going, just as long as that paycheck is on time. The less than average ones give you close to nothing or just nothing. They snuck in and are now being drug around like dead weight. Always whining and complaining but never willing to contribute ****. Heck, sometimes, they're so lazy, they don't even care about the paycheck. Let alone, team success.

Then you have the "Go-getters". These folk are dialed in and give their full 100 because they're just wired that way. Come in early. Stay late. Don't complain about unnecessary crap and have an active interest in the success of the organization. Why? Because that means THEY are successful. They contributed and sacrificed to ensure that the group's goals were met. These are usually your "Leaders". Title means nothing. These people can be low level workers and yet receive far more admiration and respect from their co-workers than the most senior persons in "leadership positions".

The right "Leader" can successfully inspire, command, demand and educate the very best production out of anyone in the formerly mentioned groups of people. Jordan may not have been a nice person, but he was an exceptional leader. The two traits are not necessary to each other for one to be successful. They actually work to each other's demise.

Jordan came to Chicago and turned a nothing franchise into a dynastic juggernaut. He endured injury and sub par teammates for years. He never outwardly complained, he just got better. Ultimately, the Bulls became who we know them as. But imagine being 19 years old and told that you are expected to re-throne a storied dynasty to it's rightful place. Being told that your predecessors have provided multiple championships to the city, so a single ring just won't do. They require dynasty rule.

Kobe came in and did just what was expected. He did it with an approach to leadership and greatness that was easily recognized, well understood and obvious to everybody who witnessed his climb. He followed Jordan. The attitude, the head, the walk, the swagger, the killer instinct , everything. So much so, the two were constantly spoken of in the same context. Kobe has 5 rings. He didn't leave LA, but talent did come to play with him. Jordan didn't leave the CHI, but talent did come to play with him. Both led their teams to dynastic runs. I promise you, if Labron had stayed in Cleveland and brought that city ALL the rings that he has, this conversation would be a real hard one to have in Jordan's favor. But, Labron lacks that one overwhelming quality. Leadership. He's a phenomenal player, but he's not a leader of men.

Being considered to be a great leader is not hard for ... great leaders. What's hard is getting everyone around them to understand what it takes to become great if it's not already in you. Hard work and sacrifice have become resume' cliche's that everybody just throws around. But when you actually witness greatness and you're not as great as it is, it's akin to lying on the ground next tracks while a locomotive shakes the whole earth. it's tangible power that cannot be harnessed with laziness and wishing. You gotta want it. If you do, then be ready and willing to do your part. If you don't, get out of the way. If you do decide to stay and cry about how hard the team fight was AFTER you got your reward, then it looks like YOU were just a stowaway who snuck in the back door and pretended very well to be a part of the team.

I have been hoping for the last 40 plus years that the Falcons get a player or coach who is just as relentless, mean, committed to excellence and accepts nothing less than championships, the way Jordan did in Chicago. Now tell me you wouldn't want that too.

"Nice guy" and "Leader" are almost never the same person.