Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cole World

Favorite scene from the Last Dance

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

True story, I have a friend who was stranded on the side of the road out of gas years ago. He didn’t have any money and this was the 90’s where cell phones weren’t a big thing yet. There was nobody around. A corvette approached. He got the drivers attention and got the corvette to stop. Driver rolled down the window and it was none other than Michael Jordan. He asked him for $1 so he could walk to the nearest gas station and get some gas. Jordan declined and drove away

I mean can you blame him?? Not saying your friend was wrong , he probably should have given him one dollar but from Jordan's pov he is wondering why a guy is flagging his car down. Is it some sort of trap to rob him..

Im not saying that was your friend's intent at all but there are alot of athletes that are very cautious when it comes to doing that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caponine said:

I mean can you blame him?? Not saying your friend was wrong , he probably should have given him one dollar but from Jordan's pov he is wondering why a guy is flagging his car down. Is it some sort of trap to rob him..

Im not saying that was your friend's intent at all but there are alot of athletes that are very cautious when it comes to doing that 

Lol ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

True story, I have a friend who was stranded on the side of the road out of gas years ago. He didn’t have any money and this was the 90’s where cell phones weren’t a big thing yet. There was nobody around. A corvette approached. He got the drivers attention and got the corvette to stop. Driver rolled down the window and it was none other than Michael Jordan. He asked him for $1 so he could walk to the nearest gas station and get some gas. Jordan declined and drove away

 

 

That goes along with the many stories I've heard about him as well.

 

Many who've met him have not had much good things to say about him personally after crossing his path.

 

I didn't even know that he and Charles Barkley weren't friends anymore. They used to be real close and even played golf together many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, caponine said:

I was just about to say this ,most guys were like that back in the day in football and basketball. Not talent wise but the attitude. Too Me... MJ, Magic, Isaiah Thomas , Jerry, Deion, and Barry were the top athletes in that era. They all were different but they had that same thing you talked about, hated to lose and insane competitors. 

You mean, back in the days when if you was sorry, yo *** rode the bench? When coaches would bust you in the chest or **** near break yo neck by grabbing your face mask if you messed up? Back when talking **** on the sports feild and backing it up only added to your game? Back when just about EVERYBODY played baseball, football AND basketball? Back when they posted the "cut list" in the hall for the whole school to see?

Yeah, back in those days, you had to be good to play. If you wasn't you got talked about. If you was, folks came for you. Either you held your spot down or you got good enough to make the cut.

Now, everybody gets a trophy and pizza. Parents pay for play and cat's get mad because you unfollwed them. All Jordan was, was a bigger monster among cats during an era where monsters ruled.

Edited by ADAMSVILLE GYM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

 

That goes along with the many stories I've heard about him as well.

 

Many who've met him have not had much good things to say about him personally after crossing his path.

 

I didn't even know that he and Charles Barkley weren't friends anymore. They used to be real close and even played golf together many times.

Yea, Jordan is fascinating to me. Dude is wired completely differently. He’s definitely the best basketball player ever. But I also think he might be a sociopath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caponine said:

I mean did he absolutely have to give him a dollar ?? People steady try to put MJ in a negative light 

I disagree. I think people protect Jordan to a fault. The LeBron insecurities are pretty stupid. 
 

I personally believe Jordan could murder someone and people would defend him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

You mean, back in the days when if you was sorry, yo *** rode the bench? When coaches would bust you in the chest or **** near break yo neck by grabbing your face mask if you messed up? Back when talking **** on the sports feild and backing it up only added to your game? Back when just about EVERYBODY played baseball, football AND basketball? Back when they posted the "cut list" in the hall for the whole school to see?

Yeah, back in those days, you had to be good to play. If you wasn't you got talked about. If you was, folks came for you. Either you held your spot down or you got good enough to make the cut.

Now, everybody gets a trophy and pizza. Parents pay for play and cat's get mad because you unfollwed them.

You earned everything you got back then , no questions asked. You went out there and handled your business. This was really the golden era for sports if you ask me. Guys played so hard, physical and never backed down. Every single game was a fight and you know you were gonna leave battered, bruised and bloody but you didnt care because you got the W 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I disagree. I think people protect Jordan to a fault. The LeBron insecurities are pretty stupid. 
 

I personally believe Jordan could murder someone and people would defend him 

While i agree somewhat, most of this was already known. His attitude and how he was not the nicest teammate. He would tell teammates they couldnt eat, or get off the court etc. But at the end of the day that helped the team become six time champions. 

And some people after watching last dance dont look at MJ in the same light necessarily 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea, Jordan is fascinating to me. Dude is wired completely differently. He’s definitely the best basketball player ever. But I also think he might be a psychopath 

 

Yeah, I think many of the greatest of greats are psycho like that lol.

 

Even Muhammad Ali. People talk about how he was a great talker, but many don't mention that he did tend to push it too far at times.

 

Ali literally stalked Frazier aggressively all around Philadelphia before their 1st fight. That was one of the reasons why Frazier hated Ali so much for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Yeah, I think many of the greatest of greats are psycho like that lol.

 

Even Muhammad Ali. People talk about how he was a great talker, but many don't mention that he did tend to push it too far at times.

 

Ali literally stalked Frazier aggressively all around Philadelphia before their 1st fight. That was one of the reasons why Frazier hated Ali so much for years.

Frazier was using Ali's head as a punching bag. His face took each and every blow full force. They fought like 3 times i think. Ali won the first few but sadly he lost something a whole lot more important 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caponine said:

Frazier was using Ali's head as a punching bag. His face took each and every blow full force. They fought like 3 times i think. Ali won the first few but sadly he lost something a whole lot more important 

 

Frazier won the 1st fight. It was the 1st fight Ali ever lost.

 

Ali won the last 2 of the trilogy.

 

Frazier still went at Ali the 2nd and third fight, but I think him winning the 1st one and giving Ali his 1st loss ever kind of took some of his anger away a bit for those last 2 fights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Frazier won the 1st fight. It was the 1st fight Ali ever lost.

 

Ali won the last 2 of the trilogy.

So it was alot of animosity and tension built up between them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, caponine said:

So it was alot of animosity and tension built up between them 

 

Yep, much animosity.

 

More so on Frazier's side because Ali tried to apologize to him for a long time but Frazier wasn't having it.

 

Frazier finally forgave Ali not too many years before his own death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

@ya_boi_j is talking about the experiences of many other people who've came out publicly about MJ and talked about how he really isn't a nice guy.

 

Both regular fans and even some celebrities have said over the years that Jordan is quite what he's cracked up to be in person. He tends to rub people the wrong way and is at times a straight ***hole.

 

Pretty much sums it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Yeah, I think many of the greatest of greats are psycho like that lol.

 

Even Muhammad Ali. People talk about how he was a great talker, but many don't mention that he did tend to push it too far at times.

 

Ali literally stalked Frazier aggressively all around Philadelphia before their 1st fight. That was one of the reasons why Frazier hated Ali so much for years.

Yea and that’s just not normal behavior. That’s also why I said it’s fascinating. Jordan is a jerk and is over the top of obsessive and will hurt others to get what he wants. And it made him the greatest ever. Arguably the biggest sports icon in American history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, caponine said:

While i agree somewhat, most of this was already known. His attitude and how he was not the nicest teammate. He would tell teammates they couldnt eat, or get off the court etc. But at the end of the day that helped the team become six time champions. 

And some people after watching last dance dont look at MJ in the same light necessarily 

The only people that don’t look at him in the same light are the people portrayed in the documentary. Jordan’s fan base will forever be loyal to him. Look at every social media post regarding Jordan OR LeBron, the comments are pathetic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The only people that don’t look at him in the same light are the people portrayed in the documentary. Jordan’s fan base will forever be loyal to him. Look at every social media post regarding Jordan OR LeBron, the comments are pathetic. 

I admit, I'm a huge Jordan fan. I discovered him when I was 10, watching him play for NC. Saw him dunk during a game against NC State and had never seen anybody do anything like that before. So by the time he was drafted by Chicago, me and my cousins and friends (all of us around the same age) were already loyal fanatics of his game. Adults would tell us he would never be better than Magic or DrJ etc...

He was our "Mickey Mantle". So, to be 12-13 years old in the early '80s and a basketball fanatic was an incredible time during those formative teenage years. PLUS, we had Dominique here. Then Deion showed up. Like I said, the playgrounds and high school gyms during that time was incredible! There was no social media to surgically cut up or dissect people's lives. So, he was all good since he wasn't on dope, getting locked up or womanizing publicly. That made it easy for parents to buy in too!

So now, it comes out that he was an a-hole and a bully towards his teammates. I would easily defend it because I have been since I was a kid.

GOAT

*'Nique was robbed in Chicago. I wasn't THAT blind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

I admit, I'm a huge Jordan fan. I discovered him when I was 10, watching him play for NC. Saw him dunk during a game against NC State and had never seen anybody do anything like that before. So by the time he was drafted by Chicago, me and my cousins and friends (all of us around the same age) were already loyal fanatics of his game. Adults would tell us he would never be better than Magic or DrJ etc...

He was our "Mickey Mantle". So, to be 12-13 years old in the early '80s and a basketball fanatic was an incredible time during those formative teenage years. PLUS, we had Dominique here. Then Deion showed up. Like I said, the playgrounds and high school gyms during that time was incredible! There was no social media to surgically cut up or dissect people's lives. So, he was all good since he wasn't on dope, getting locked up or womanizing publicly. That made it easy for parents to buy in too!

So now, it comes out that he was an a-hole and a bully towards his teammates. I would easily defend it because I have been since I was a kid.

GOAT

*'Nique was robbed in Chicago. I wasn't THAT blind.

I mean I get it. Jordan was super fun to watch. And I can appreciate watching greatness. He was unbelievable. I just don’t like that people are starting to hate on other players in order to “protect” Michael. LeBron is a super nice guy. And he’s a freak. Easily the best basketball player we’ve ever seen SINCE Jordan. Yet everyone hates him. The reasons are just so wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I mean I get it. Jordan was super fun to watch. And I can appreciate watching greatness. He was unbelievable. I just don’t like that people are starting to hate on other players in order to “protect” Michael. LeBron is a super nice guy. And he’s a freak. Easily the best basketball player we’ve ever seen SINCE Jordan. Yet everyone hates him. The reasons are just so wrong 

 

I wouldn't exactly say since Jordan. Kobe was pretty good.

 

Kobe was basically Jordan Jr.. Mirrored MJ quite a bit.

 

Kobe often is the underrated/forgotten man in the Jordan vs LeBron debates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

I wouldn't exactly say since Jordan. Kobe was pretty good.

 

Kobe was basically Jordan Jr. Mirrored MJ quite a bit.

 

Kobe often is the underrated/forgotten man in the Jordan vs LeBron debates.

I don’t agree. In the Kobe era, he was never definitively the best player in the NBA. Lot of people thought Iverson, Garnett, Duncan, etc were just as good. Also, Kobe wasn’t even considered the best player on his own team in 3 of his championships. 
 

LeBron on the other hand has been the best player in the NBA for the last 12-13 years without much debate. I think he’s better than Kobe pretty significantly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

I wouldn't exactly say since Jordan. Kobe was pretty good.

 

Kobe was basically Jordan Jr.. Mirrored MJ quite a bit.

 

Kobe often is the underrated/forgotten man in the Jordan vs LeBron debates.

The reason I can’t put Kobe in that conversation is because he simply didn’t DOMINATE the NBA in his career. Was he successful? Yes. Was he the best player in the NBA at some point? Yes. But did he dominate the league? Not really. Jordan has 5 MVP’s, 6 championships, and 6 finals MVP’s. That is pure dominance. LeBron has 4 MVP’s, 3 championships, 3 finals MVP’s. and 8 finals appearances. Dominance.

Kobe only has 1 MVP. The same as Dirk Nowitzki and Derrick Rose. 1 less than Steve Nash...and in 3 of his 5 championships, Shaq won the MVP. 
 

To me, Jordan and LeBron on another planet. Nobody close to either 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I don’t agree. In the Kobe era, he was never definitively the best player in the NBA. Lot of people thought Iverson, Garnett, Duncan, etc were just as good. Also, Kobe wasn’t even considered the best player on his own team in 3 of his championships. 
 

LeBron on the other hand has been the best player in the NBA for the last 12-13 years without much debate. I think he’s better than Kobe pretty significantly 

 

 

You gotta give Kobe a good bit of credit for those 3 NBA titles with Shaq though. That was the main reason why it became a rift between Kobe and Shaq.

 

Kobe wanted to no longer be discredited by playing with Shaq. Kobe still went to 3 NBA finals and won 2 NBA titles without Shaq. That's even with LeBron in the league.

 

Iverson, Garnett, and Duncan all lost to Kobe in an NBA Finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The reason I can’t put Kobe in that conversation is because he simply didn’t DOMINATE the NBA in his career. Was he successful? Yes. Was he the best player in the NBA at some point? Yes. But did he dominate the league? Not really. Jordan has 5 MVP’s, 6 championships, and 6 finals MVP’s. That is pure dominance. LeBron has 4 MVP’s, 3 championships, 3 finals MVP’s. and 8 finals appearances. Dominance.

Kobe only has 1 MVP. The same as Dirk Nowitzki and Derrick Rose. 1 less than Steve Nash...and in 3 of his 5 championships, Shaq won the MVP. 
 

To me, Jordan and LeBron on another planet. Nobody close to either 

 

Yeah Shaq went off in those finals, but I still don't think Shaq would've won those NBA titles without Kobe.

 

Kobe became even better after Shaq left.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...