Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
birdz4i

Alex Mack taking on coaching role with young offensive linemen

Charean Williams
May 19, 2020, 6:37 PM

Not that long ago, player-coaches were common in the NFL. These days, player-coaches are more assumed roles as opposed to job titles.

Falcons center Alex Mack has become that on the team’s offensive line.

The Falcons could have a new starter at left guard and second-year players are on the right side. They started five different offensive line combinations last season.

“I think it’s just harder for the linemen to group up — whenever that’s safe to do so — and work on the things that they need to work on,” Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter said, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN. “That’s an easier thing to do at the appropriate time for quarterbacks and receivers than it is for O-linemen. But Alex as a leader in the meetings, like when I sit in on O-line meetings right now, to see Alex, that’s what he’s done in the NFL and the enthusiasm for which he approaches virtual meetings in May is impressive.

“Alex was talking about how he’ll do everything he can to help [rookie] Matt Hennessy out. That just shows what kind of a pro Alex Mack is.”

Mack said the video conference calls have allowed him to share his knowledge with the younger linemen.

He worked one-on-one with starting right tackle Kaleb McGary the first week, right guard Chris Lindstrom the second week and backup Matt Gono the third week. Mack also has worked with Hennessy, who will work at left guard before potentially replacing Mack at center.

“Alex is a amazing resource to have during times of adversity,” Lindstrom said. “He has been through it all and understands what we need to do to be successful and he’s a great person to emulate.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/alex-mack-taking-coaching-role-223724199.html

On 5/19/2020 at 8:26 PM, Atl Falcon said:

Hoping Alex hangs around in Atl for another yr or two....what an asset

I'd rather we go ahead and have him retire and be a full-time coach to get his salary off our cap. Age and injuries have taken a heavy toll on him. He hasn't been nearly as dominant since playing the Super Bowl on a broken leg for us.

1 hour ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

I'd rather we go ahead and have him retire and be a full-time coach to get his salary off our cap. Age and injuries have taken a heavy toll on him. He hasn't been nearly as dominant since playing the Super Bowl on a broken leg for us.

He's been short of solid since then. Remember how bad it was after McClure until we got Mack. If you have something good you don't wish it away. His cap hit does suck, but he's a mentor, coach and on top of that still a solid player. One or two more years and ride off in the sunset, hopefully with a Super Bowl ring.

55 minutes ago, pearljamnash13 said:

He's been short of solid since then. Remember how bad it was after McClure until we got Mack. If you have something good you don't wish it away. His cap hit does suck, but he's a mentor, coach and on top of that still a solid player. One or two more years and ride off in the sunset, hopefully with a Super Bowl ring.

The only reason I want him off the books is because I believe it is more likely than not that he will:

1. --- likely suffer another injury or become a near-liability due to deteriorating skills.
  2. --- putting Hennessy as the starting C with a backup at LG.
  3. --- and still having Mack counting against our cap.

The worst combined scenario.

25 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

The only reason I want him off the books is because I believe it is more likely than not that he will:

1. --- likely suffer another injury or become a near-liability due to deteriorating skills.
  2. --- putting Hennessy as the starting C with a backup at LG.
  3. --- and still having Mack counting against our cap.

The worst combined scenario.

Tell us more, Nostradamus. :ninja: