Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
run_vick_run

My 3 points why we wont make the playoff. Change my mind

Posted (edited)

Because it's impossible to predict anything in the NFL. 

In 2015, we went 8-8 then to a Super Bowl the next year. In 2017 we were 5 yards away from another NFCCG, then went 7-9 the next year. In 2016, the Eagles went 7-9 then won the Super Bowl the following season. 

On paper the Falcons have a better front 7 then last year, and at worst the offense is the exact same as it was a year ago. 

Edited by dirtybirds233

2 hours ago, Rings said:

This is false.  They have paid both Gilmore and Revis over the last handful of years, and Butler had a few strong years as well.  

Malcolm Butler was undrafted in 2014

Our defense will be better this year but our offense has shown it's not at it's best unless we have a decent running game. Can Koetter get Gurley and our run game going this year? He has yet to do it since hes been here. The only time it looked like we had a run game under Koetter was the 2012 playoffs until Turner got hurt against the 49ers.

18 hours ago, peoriabird said:

Again...Y'all overate corners.  KC's starting corners are a 4th round pick and an undrafted player but that didn't stop them from winning the superbowl..  New England constantly had nobodies at corner. The Eagle's secondary was a mess when they won.  We have a 1st and 2nd round picks at the corner position. 

Ok then...CB is now my least concern. Let’s not worry about that part and just find a pass rush.CBs do not matter....they’re overrated. Dadgum I was worried about that now Y’all can relax 

On 5/18/2020 at 5:13 PM, peoriabird said:

1) Who was the Chief's number 1 corner last year?  What about the Patriots during their superbowl runs?  An undrafted free agent made the game winning play against the Seahawks in 2015.

2) The Falcons usually do better the 2nd year in a OC's offense

3) Having the toughest schedule is difficult to predict.  Usually 5 teams drop out of the playoffs from year to year.

Championships are won by coaches and coach's schemes.  The Falcon have more than enough talent to win a Championship.

It’s a combination of many things including luck or at least no bad luck

3 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

It’s a combination of many things including luck or at least no bad luck

The same coaches win the majority of the Championships over the years with a few1 time superbowl winning coach. 

60's Lombardy

70's  Shula/ Chuck Knolls/Landry

80's Walsh/Gibbs/Parcells

90's Johnson/Shannahan

20's Belichick/Coughlin/Tomlin

2010 Belichick

4 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

The same coaches win the majority of the Championships over the years with a few1 time superbowl winning coach. 

60's Lombardy

70's  Shula/ Chuck Knolls/Landry

80's Walsh/Gibbs/Parcells

90's Johnson/Shannahan

20's Belichick/Coughlin/Tomlin

2010 Belichick

Good point so who’s your coach of choice that would lead us to multi SBs for the 2020s I’ll hang up and listen

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

Good point so who’s your coach of choice that would lead us to multi SBs for the 2020s I’ll hang up and listen

We've been there once with Quinn but I'm hoping Morris and Ubricht will carry us through. 

9 hours ago, KamiKazee27 said:

Our defense will be better this year but our offense has shown it's not at it's best unless we have a decent running game. Can Koetter get Gurley and our run game going this year? He has yet to do it since hes been here. The only time it looked like we had a run game under Koetter was the 2012 playoffs until Turner got hurt against the 49ers.

That's definitely a key to how far the Falcons can go, as well as how much longer Koetter remains employed as the OC here. Aside from the powerful motivation, he will enjoy some upgrades in a couple of areas that should help immensely.

First, the OL is going to be very-much improved. The RB's will have some lanes, and we have enough capable RB's to get the ball up field if said holes are there to run through. I like Judge Ito, but Bryan Hill showed some wheels when he got running room to back up Gurley.

Second, we should have the best pass rush we've had since Abe left town.  Fowler and Davidson, Means and Cominsky should really help Grady put the heat on QB's. You play press man and get real pressure on the QB, we won't be down three scores in the first 10 minutes of the game and Koetter will be more willing to establish that run game.

Third, we'll have Raheem Morris as DC since the middle of last season. He's shown he can get the DB's working together and handling their responsibilities with so much less confusion and really knows how to best use his DL talent as well.

Without Morris taking over the D I don't believe we would have won more than two games the last half of the season as inept and soft as they looked the first half.

In sum, Koetter has plenty of things happening on both sides of the ball to get a balanced attack and robust run game established. If he flops, it's going to be because of his stale scheme and predictable play calling, not a bad D putting him in the hole, or bad OL not providing enough blocking.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:19 PM, peoriabird said:

Malcolm Butler was undrafted in 2014

You seem to be confused.  Draft position has nothing to do with this conversation.  #1 corner back does not mean a corner back taken in the first round, it’s your best CB who you typically put on the best WR or provide the least amount of help to.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rings said:

You seem to be confused.  Draft position has nothing to do with this conversation.  #1 corner back does not mean a corner back taken in the first round, it’s your best CB who you typically put on the best WR or provide the least amount of help to.

My point is that Malcolm Butler wasn't a number 1 corner in 2016.  He was an undrafted player without a lot of natural ability who fit Belichek's scheme.  So my point has always been... Coaches and scheme wins championships not individual players except Quarter backs.  By the way, Butler was released by the Patriots who won again in 2018 without him.

Edited by peoriabird

On 5/18/2020 at 12:57 PM, run_vick_run said:

Number 1. We dont have a number 1 cb

Number 2. Dirk koetter sucks. I thought he was fired but realize he just got move to oc. He does a horrible job. He coached last year like if he still wants to be a buc. Im not running with it

Number 3. We are on the toghess división.

I dont know if you guys know that playoff spot got level a extra 2 spots so that works in our favor

Joe Whitt will bring the best out of our CBs. The fact that none of these guys have had #1 slapped on their name yet means nothing. 

Dirk Koetter isn't the greatest, but he isn't the worst either. And he isn't operating on an island. Matt Ryan has a ton of say in the offense, and Ryan is solid. I expect a strong step forward for the O this season. 

Strong competition brings the best out of our players. I have no fear at all about this and expect us to be a better team for it. 

4 hours ago, peoriabird said:

My point is that Malcolm Butler wasn't a number 1 corner in 2016.  He was an undrafted player without a lot of natural ability who fit Belichek's scheme.  So my point has always been... Coaches and scheme wins championships not individual players except Quarter backs.  By the way, Butler was released by the Patriots who won again in 2018 without him.

Yes, because they had Gilmore.  You said they have always had no name players at CB, which isn’t true.  Now if you are defining a no name player based on where they were drafted, that’s one thing, but Revis and Gilmore are far from no name players and were both really good on other teams as well.  

Had you used the pats oline for this example that would make more sense since they go elsewhere after playing well in NE and are garbage elsewhere.  

I agree scheme is a huge piece of it, but you need talent to be able to properly execute your scheme.  Pats had a bunch of WRs who couldn’t create separation last year and their offense fell off a cliff back half of season, same coaching/scheme as the year before.

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 12:03 AM, Rings said:

I agree scheme is a huge piece of it, but you need talent to be able to properly execute your scheme.  Pats had a bunch of WRs who couldn’t create separation last year and their offense fell off a cliff back half of season, same coaching/scheme as the year before.

This is why I'm counting on Morris to get these boys ready to play...The Defense has enough speed and talent...probably more than most of those Patriot teams.  Remember the no name defense of the Dolphins in 72/73.  1 hall of famer and they were the number 1 defense 2 years in a row because of coaching.  Stay out of the defensive meeting Dan...Your cover 3 stinks especially with free safeties with no instincts or range like Allen and Kazee. 

Edited by peoriabird

On 5/18/2020 at 2:57 PM, run_vick_run said:

\Number 3. We are on the toghess división.

I don't know what división that will be but it sounds like its going to be rough sledding. 

On 5/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, peoriabird said:

This is why I'm counting on Morris to get these boys ready to play...The Defense has enough speed and talent...probably more than most of those Patriot teams.  Remember the no name defense of the Dolphins in 72/73.  1 hall of famer and they were the number 1 defense 2 years in a row because of coaching.  Stay out of the defensive meeting Dan...Your cover 3 stinks especially with free safeties with no instincts or range like Allen and Kazee. 

His scheme is fine, but as @Knight of God has been preaching for years, we need a safety that’s capable of making the scheme work and we have no one that can truly play single high and roam the way Thomas did for him in Seattle.  You don’t have a key piece like that and the scheme suffers.  We still don’t have that piece so I’m glad we finally are changing it up.