Posted (edited)

A look at pending Hawks FAs:

Jeff Teague 

Contract status: Unrestricted free agent.

Odds he returns: 50 percent.

DeAndre’ Bembry 

Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $7,811,946.

Odds he returns: Five percent.

Skal Labissiere 

Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $7,016,541.

Odds he returns: 60 percent.

Damian Jones 

Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $6,915,171.

Odds he returns: Zero percent.

Treveon Graham  

Odds he returns: 10 percent.

Vince Carter 

Odds he returns: Zero percent.

Brandon Goodwin 

Contract status: $1,701,593 fully guaranteed if on the roster after Aug. 1.

Odds he returns: 80 percent.

With $49 million in capspace, which (R)FAs would you like the Hawks to target?

Edited by jayu70
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He is extension eligible this offseason. If he signs the extension, then we can believe he isn't going anywhere. Most stars say they are staying until they aren't. Rarely do you get a AD situations wh

A look at pending Hawks FAs:     Jeff Teague  Contract status: Unrestricted free agent. Odds he returns: 50 percent.   DeAndre’ Bembry  Contract status: Re

There's another Trade Idea.  Hawks are in an ideal position with their pick and capspace to make so many different moves. $42-$48 mil in capspace (dependenton Cap figures). These deals will occur

Posted Images

I try and keep Goodwin and Skal. I think Skal can be a nice backup piece for us and I don’t think he will command a ton of money. 

Teague is interesting too. If the money is right, keep him here 

16 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I think we should target Jerami Grant SF/PF from Denver if he opts out.

Yeah I think he would fit in nicely here.  Dude has a 7’2” wingspan and he’s 6’8”.  He’s a very good defender able to guard multiple positions and he’s very athletic.  Definitely would be a nice addition.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Don’t know how I feel about Bertans.

I like him but I don't think overpaying is the right move. The article doesn't lay out why it's a good move to overpay either. 

I'd be ok with a 1 year overpay deal.

Edited by jayu70
4 hours ago, jayu70 said:

I like him but I don't think overpaying is the right move. The article doesn't lay out why it's a good move to overpay either. 

I'd be ok with a 1 year overpay deal.

I only see him as an outside shooter from the times I have watched him play against the Hawks.  Soaring Down South articles are little incomplete at times.

• 2 months later...

Atlanta has the most cap space no matter what happens with the cap, so the Hawks could make some big moves if they wanted to. Coach Lloyd Pierce has said that he expects to be in the playoffs next season, and it feels like general manager Travis Schlenk is ready to stop adding replacement-level players on expiring contracts with the hopes of flipping them for draft capital. However, the problem is there aren’t many very good players in free agency to spend money on. If the New Orleans Pelicans decided for whatever reason they didn’t want to sign Ingram to a max deal, the Hawks could. They could also throw a lot of money at Sacramento’s Bogdan Bogdanovic and force the Kings to match. As far as a must-have top-end talent, though, I can’t really point to one player the Hawks should absolutely be in on.......

I do want to quickly touch on VanVleet from a Hawks perspective, as I’ve seen numerous fans on Twitter ask me about the viability of signing him. I don’t think they should consider him to pair with Trae Young in the backcourt. Toronto’s backcourt works because Kyle Lowry is a tenacious defender, whereas Young isn’t. VanVleet would have to work much harder to cover for YoungAs for the most realistic top target, I think it should be Brooklyn’s Joe Harris. The Hawks need more shooting on their roster after being the worst 3-point shooting team in the NBA. The Nets have publicly said that re-signing Harris is a priority for them, but from my view, it just seems like someone is going to be the odd man out for them, and it could be Harris. The Hawks could offer a one-year ballooned salary if they wanted to. That would allow them to keep their future flexibility while still improving the present. Washington’s Davis Bertans could also be an option for the Hawks, but he’s going to get a multi-year contract that’s likely going to cost about $16 million to $18 million. He’s a four and the Hawks have John Collins. I don’t think he’s worth that price for several years, even though he’s one of the best shooters in the league.....

Although the Hawks have expressed their desire to accelerate their rebuild and make the playoffs, I would be very hesitant to commit long-term money to just anyone in order to accomplish this short-term goal. This season is the first year in the Schlenk era in which there will be expectations on this team to win, and I understand that jobs could be on the line. But the main goal of this franchise is to win a championship — not go all in on getting the seventh or eighth seed in the East. 

That’s why I think keeping future flexibility is one of the most important things Schlenk can do this offseason. He should absolutely find veterans who are able to contribute off the bench to give the Hawks a good enough rotation to contend for the playoffs, but if they don’t fit the timeline of the young players, don’t commit long-term money to them. I think the Hawks have a good young core that just needs two or three more quality players to round out a rotation that’s capable of making the playoffs. 

If they can find a player or two who fits their timeline, commit multiple years to those players. Memphis’ De’Anthony Melton is 22 and he’d fit well with Young. Kris Dunn, as a strong defensive-minded backup point guard, should be someone they pursue. If Jerami Grant isn’t in Denver’s long-term plans, he’d be someone the Hawks should be in on.....

Derrick Jones Jr. is probably in the range of being right at or below the MLE. The Hawks need more talent on the wing, and Jones split most of his minutes for the Heat this season at the two and three. With the Hawks wanting to push the tempo in transition, he’d fit perfectly. I also think he’s a solid, versatile defender, which the Hawks need more of because they have been so poor defensively the past two years. 

Jones doesn’t help solve the Hawks’ shooting woes — he’s a career 28 percent 3-point shooter — but he did shoot 77 percent from the line this season, which makes me believe there is a chance he can improve his long-ranging shooting. 

Because he’s 23 years old, he also fits the timeline of the core. I do think Jones could be had for a deal that’s around four years and $32 million.  

16 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

If we have so much cap, how is Giannis not a possibility?

I figure Giannis has to be in play. I believe the Hawks have to be super serious and and have to put together a team immediately to pursue him. We have ind out who he wants to come to Atlanta with him to make us a championship caliber team. 

12 minutes ago, therawest said:

I figure Giannis has to be in play. I believe the Hawks have to be super serious and and have to put together a team immediately to pursue him. We have ind out who he wants to come to Atlanta with him to make us a championship caliber team. 

East just seems ripe for the picking 

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

Giannis is a FA in 2021. And the question isn't that he isn't a possibility for us, but that we may not be for him. That is why making the playoffs is so important.  Giannis isn't going to a team struggling to make the playoffs without him. He is going to go to a playoff contender to make them a championship contender. 

6 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Giannis is a FA in 2021. And the question isn't that he isn't a possibility for us, but that we may not be for him. That is why making the playoffs is so important.  Giannis isn't going to a team struggling to make the playoffs without him. He is going to go to a playoff contender to make them a championship contender. 

Well.. then whats he doing in Milwaukee? Lol

all kidding aside, saw an article shortly after posting that where he stated he’s not going anywhere. He doesn’t seem like the type that would lie either. 

5 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Well.. then whats he doing in Milwaukee? Lol

all kidding aside, saw an article shortly after posting that where he stated he’s not going anywhere. He doesn’t seem like the type that would lie either. 

He is extension eligible this offseason. If he signs the extension, then we can believe he isn't going anywhere. Most stars say they are staying until they aren't. Rarely do you get a AD situations where it is well known that they are leaving. 

And, Bucks drafted him. He had no choice in the matter, but that is why it is important to be competitive when they draft a star player like that. If you team isn't showing that they can be a contender, then the star will leave after their second contract ends. 

3 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

He is extension eligible this offseason. If he signs the extension, then we can believe he isn't going anywhere. Most stars say they are staying until they aren't. Rarely do you get a AD situations where it is well known that they are leaving. 

And, Bucks drafted him. He had no choice in the matter, but that is why it is important to be competitive when they draft a star player like that. If you team isn't showing that they can be a contender, then the star will leave after their second contract ends. 

I get it.. it’s just normally when a star is asked whether or not they’re staying, they answer in a roundabout “we’ll cross that bridge when it gets here” type of way.. not a straight up “that’s not happening” way

22 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

He's not a Free Agent this offseason. Bucks can offer him a supermax extension this offseason. If he doesn't sign it, then he becomes a FA in 2021. When more teams will have capspace.

5 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

I get it.. it’s just normally when a star is asked whether or not they’re staying, they answer in a roundabout “we’ll cross that bridge when it gets here” type of way.. not a straight up “that’s not happening” way

He was asked if he will request a trade since he's still under contract, he said 'that's not happening'

On 9/8/2020 at 6:21 PM, jayu70 said:

Atlanta has the most cap space no matter what happens with the cap, so the Hawks could make some big moves if they wanted to. Coach Lloyd Pierce has said that he expects to be in the playoffs next season, and it feels like general manager Travis Schlenk is ready to stop adding replacement-level players on expiring contracts with the hopes of flipping them for draft capital. However, the problem is there aren’t many very good players in free agency to spend money on. If the New Orleans Pelicans decided for whatever reason they didn’t want to sign Ingram to a max deal, the Hawks could. They could also throw a lot of money at Sacramento’s Bogdan Bogdanovic and force the Kings to match. As far as a must-have top-end talent, though, I can’t really point to one player the Hawks should absolutely be in on.......

I do want to quickly touch on VanVleet from a Hawks perspective, as I’ve seen numerous fans on Twitter ask me about the viability of signing him. I don’t think they should consider him to pair with Trae Young in the backcourt. Toronto’s backcourt works because Kyle Lowry is a tenacious defender, whereas Young isn’t. VanVleet would have to work much harder to cover for YoungAs for the most realistic top target, I think it should be Brooklyn’s Joe Harris. The Hawks need more shooting on their roster after being the worst 3-point shooting team in the NBA. The Nets have publicly said that re-signing Harris is a priority for them, but from my view, it just seems like someone is going to be the odd man out for them, and it could be Harris. The Hawks could offer a one-year ballooned salary if they wanted to. That would allow them to keep their future flexibility while still improving the present. Washington’s Davis Bertans could also be an option for the Hawks, but he’s going to get a multi-year contract that’s likely going to cost about $16 million to $18 million. He’s a four and the Hawks have John Collins. I don’t think he’s worth that price for several years, even though he’s one of the best shooters in the league.....

Although the Hawks have expressed their desire to accelerate their rebuild and make the playoffs, I would be very hesitant to commit long-term money to just anyone in order to accomplish this short-term goal. This season is the first year in the Schlenk era in which there will be expectations on this team to win, and I understand that jobs could be on the line. But the main goal of this franchise is to win a championship — not go all in on getting the seventh or eighth seed in the East. 

That’s why I think keeping future flexibility is one of the most important things Schlenk can do this offseason. He should absolutely find veterans who are able to contribute off the bench to give the Hawks a good enough rotation to contend for the playoffs, but if they don’t fit the timeline of the young players, don’t commit long-term money to them. I think the Hawks have a good young core that just needs two or three more quality players to round out a rotation that’s capable of making the playoffs. 

If they can find a player or two who fits their timeline, commit multiple years to those players. Memphis’ De’Anthony Melton is 22 and he’d fit well with Young. Kris Dunn, as a strong defensive-minded backup point guard, should be someone they pursue. If Jerami Grant isn’t in Denver’s long-term plans, he’d be someone the Hawks should be in on.....

Derrick Jones Jr. is probably in the range of being right at or below the MLE. The Hawks need more talent on the wing, and Jones split most of his minutes for the Heat this season at the two and three. With the Hawks wanting to push the tempo in transition, he’d fit perfectly. I also think he’s a solid, versatile defender, which the Hawks need more of because they have been so poor defensively the past two years. 

Jones doesn’t help solve the Hawks’ shooting woes — he’s a career 28 percent 3-point shooter — but he did shoot 77 percent from the line this season, which makes me believe there is a chance he can improve his long-ranging shooting. 

Because he’s 23 years old, he also fits the timeline of the core. I do think Jones could be had for a deal that’s around four years and $32 million.  

I agree with going after Dunn. Maybe he can mentor Trae to help him improve his defense, but I think the bulls resign him. I am assuming that we will resign Teague for his mentorship abilities and just hope he can snap back into form in a backup role. Teague has said he wanted to come back to atlanta. It could still be a good fit. 

I don't agree with Jones, especially a four year deal. Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish are going to get the bulk of the minutes at SG/SF. Signing a guy to an 8 mil a year deal when they will play at best 10 minutes a game is crazy, especially since we could be drafting another wing.  If we trade our pick for a backup vet PF, then it makes sense to sign Jones, but he still will not be getting a ton of minutes, IMO. We need to figure out what we have in Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish. If none of them have star potential, then we need to trade for that third star to pair with Trae and Collins. 

IMO, priority should be PG, PF, then SG/SF. 

2 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I agree with going after Dunn. Maybe he can mentor Trae to help him improve his defense, but I think the bulls resign him. I am assuming that we will resign Teague for his mentorship abilities and just hope he can snap back into form in a backup role. Teague has said he wanted to come back to atlanta. It could still be a good fit. 

I don't agree with Jones, especially a four year deal. Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish are going to get the bulk of the minutes at SG/SF. Signing a guy to an 8 mil a year deal when they will play at best 10 minutes a game is crazy, especially since we could be drafting another wing.  If we trade our pick for a backup vet PF, then it makes sense to sign Jones, but he still will not be getting a ton of minutes, IMO. We need to figure out what we have in Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish. If none of them have star potential, then we need to trade for that third star to pair with Trae and Collins. 

IMO, priority should be PG, PF, then SG/SF. 

I agree we need to see what the combo of Huerter, Reddish, Hunter are but we still need nba caliber backups. I'm ok with competition at those positions, it makes them better. No more Crabbe, Parsons etc.

Jones is still only 22 years, playing 23mpg. For comparison Bembry played 21 minutes for us last season. The Hawks need NBA quality depth. I would only offer a 3 year deal though.

Example: resign Teague, Sign Jones and Bertans, draft BPA at #6. (And I'm not advocating for Jones, just saying depending on cost it's not a bad option for a backup wing player).

We have so many options to fill in the roster wether using our capspace for trades or signing FAs.

19 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I agree we need to see what the combo of Huerter, Reddish, Hunter are but we still need nba caliber backups. I'm ok with competition at those positions, it makes them better. No more Crabbe, Parsons etc.

Jones is still only 22 years, playing 23mpg. For comparison Bembry played 21 minutes for us last season. The Hawks need NBA quality depth. I would only offer a 3 year deal though.

Example: resign Teague, Sign Jones and Bertans, draft BPA at #6. (And I'm not advocating for Jones, just saying depending on cost it's not a bad option for a backup wing player).

We have so many options to fill in the roster wether using our capspace for trades or signing FAs.

Bremby played only 43 games. We only used him when guys were injured or because of suspension. Once everyone was back, this was what his gamelogs looked like:

1880402724_ScreenShot2020-09-10at3_59_46PM.png.8348f99440bd982f52e0daecff940c0d.png

Reddish, Hunter, and Huerter are probably going to average around 32 minutes a game a piece. There are only 96 minutes at SF and SG. If there is extra minutes or guys are being rested/injured, then it makes sense to give those minutes to our wing draft pick. 

I want us to spend all the cap we have, but it needs to go to guys who will help us win and/or mentor our young guys. Jones is a young guy himself and with a healthy young core, I don't see him playing any minutes. 

If we made a blockbuster trade for Beal and lose Huerter and Cam in the process, then it makes sense to bring in Jones.

6 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Bremby played only 43 games. We only used him when guys were injured or because of suspension. Once everyone was back, this was what his gamelogs looked like:

1880402724_ScreenShot2020-09-10at3_59_46PM.png.8348f99440bd982f52e0daecff940c0d.png

Reddish, Hunter, and Huerter are probably going to average around 32 minutes a game a piece. There are only 96 minutes at SF and SG. If there is extra minutes or guys are being rested/injured, then it makes sense to give those minutes to our wing draft pick. 

I want us to spend all the cap we have, but it needs to go to guys who will help us win and/or mentor our young guys. Jones is a young guy himself and with a healthy young core, I don't see him playing any minutes. 

If we made a blockbuster trade for Beal and lose Huerter and Cam in the process, then it makes sense to bring in Jones.

Bembry was injured towards the end of the season. January with a wrist, March with abdomen.

Huerter will see minutes at SG with some at PG.

Reddish will see minutes at SG/SF

Hunter will see minutes at SF with some at PF.

You can't have too many wings. So there are still minutes at SG/SF for another quality wing.

Last season we had Huerter, Bembry, Crabbe, Cam, Hunter, Graham - 6 wing players. Depth is important.

Wether it's Jones or another wing - we need to and will sign another.

No way I'm trading Huerter and Cam for Beal, that defensive backcourt would be disastrous.

Edited by jayu70