Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Knight of God

Things I Like About Hawkins

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

A first, I was like “meh”. He’s a good back up. I was underwhelmed by his highlights and a few other loose objects here and there. While sitting here recovering, I was on the phone with a buddy of mine and he knows way more than I ever will. He’s telling me we got one of those sleepers. 

Was a WR coming out of college

Runs a sub 4.5 (colleges have field day)

Is very physical, hits like Neal 

Is a film guy, loves the game and loves to study 

His best trait is his football IQ, second best trait is his incredible range. Possibly top five in this draft as far as range, likely #1 or #2 in football IQ.

Lined up at EVERY defensive back position successfully 

Plays every coverage at every position very well

Best suited for Strong safety, but can be a great FS and is compared to Amos.

So, I went back and looked at anything I could find. I’ll just say, he may be what I’m looking for. Likely our fastest safety, hits like Neal, has Allen’s work ethic, hawks like Kazee. I’m intrigued.

I think we got one.

Add in length of a Delpit. He’s 6’2” and long..and knows how to use that length.

I’ll be honest, I’m not too excited about him, at least not to your level probably lol. I disagree with the hitting assessment. He can hit, but I wouldn’t put him up at Neal’s level. Don’t get me wrong, he’s physical, but he’s probably a tier below that. I do agree that his football IQ seems to be good, and his hands are good as well. Both of those together added up to him making some nice plays. Comparing him to Amos is interesting, I can see it although Hawkins definitely has better ball skills. If he can even get close to as good as Amos is, that’d be a huge steal. 

Just had a look at Cal playing Jacob Easons team Washington it showed his versatility playing single high and 2 high and down in the box so that’s there.

Also noticed when he was playing off in the slot he plays more with inside leverage  So to me he wants to run with a guy and takes away the 2 way go of the receiver.Which also tells me he has adequate speed.I didn’t see if he was hip to hip or used the trail technique as using the latter counter acts the ability for the slot to comeback.

Need to watch more didn’t see the hitting mentioned.

Also noticed the communication to his DBs aswell in this game.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Just had a look at Cal playing Jacob Easons team Washington it showed his versatility playing single high and 2 high and down in the box so that’s there.

Also noticed when he was playing off in the slot he plays more with inside leverage  So to me he wants to run with a guy and takes away the 2 way go of the receiver.Which also tells me he has adequate speed.I didn’t see if he was hip to hip or used the trail technique as using the latter counter acts the ability for the slot to comeback.

Need to watch more didn’t see the hitting mentioned.

Also noticed the communication to his DBs aswell in this game.

If you look up Ashtyn Davis games you might/should be able to find more of Hawkins. 

4 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

If you look up Ashtyn Davis games you might/should be able to find more of Hawkins. 

Hey man, most didn’t think Neal was much of a hitter at first. I didn’t think Hawkins was either, but I’m convinced now. He makes impact tackles, mainly, but they add up. His best plays aren’t the hits, but he’ll light a man up fast.

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

A first, I was like “meh”. He’s a good back up. I was underwhelmed by his highlights and a few other loose objects here and there. While sitting here recovering, I was on the phone with a buddy of mine and he knows way more than I ever will. He’s telling me we got one of those sleepers. 

Was a WR coming out of college

Runs a sub 4.5 (colleges have field day)

Is very physical, hits like Neal 

Is a film guy, loves the game and loves to study 

His best trait is his football IQ, second best trait is his incredible range. Possibly top five in this draft as far as range, likely #1 or #2 in football IQ.

Lined up at EVERY defensive back position successfully 

Plays every coverage at every position very well

Best suited for Strong safety, but can be a great FS and is compared to Amos.

So, I went back and looked at anything I could find. I’ll just say, he may be what I’m looking for. Likely our fastest safety, hits like Neal, has Allen’s work ethic, hawks like Kazee. I’m intrigued.

I think we got one.

What were you recovering from?

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Hey man, most didn’t think Neal was much of a hitter at first. I didn’t think Hawkins was either, but I’m convinced now. He makes impact tackles, mainly, but they add up. His best plays aren’t the hits, but he’ll light a man up fast.

Idk about that, Neal’s big thing was that he could hit. I’m pretty sure people around here were pissed that we took him because that was the only thing people thought he actually could do. I mean, the man lit up Derrick Henry lol. I agree that Hawkins makes impact tackles tho, just not necessarily crushing hits. 

30 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Idk about that, Neal’s big thing was that he could hit. I’m pretty sure people around here were pissed that we took him because that was the only thing people thought he actually could do. I mean, the man lit up Derrick Henry lol. I agree that Hawkins makes impact tackles tho, just not necessarily crushing hits. 

Oh he makes them for sure. Not often (which is good) but he does it. 

9 minutes ago, Charles Wright said:

Been checking him out with all I can find. He's a ball hawk for sure and a lot of the film, it seemed he was being avoided, which says ca lot in itself. Good pick, I'll be watching him.

Now, if you like him that says something.

My boy Devante played with him at Cal and tells me he was a terror rushing the passer and ran routes with receivers. The only thing he said is that he gets too heated sometimes and gets himself a bunch of personal foul penalties. I like him and think he could be a steal of the draft if we have any injuries in the secondary.