Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
birdz4i

Falcons 7x Pro Bowler Highest-Ranked Receiver on All-Decade Team

Pro Football Focus announced its All-Decade 101 Team and had Atlanta Falcons’ wide receiver Julio Jones at No. 8. He is the only wideout that broke in the league that broke into the top 10.

He even surpasses Antonio Brown at No. 13 and Deandre Hopkins who is at No. 30. Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan made the list at No. 32 and All-Pro center Alex Mack lands at No. 44.

Antonio Brown Says He’s the Best in the Game?

Antonio Brown on the list has to make you laugh. His career is over, yet he had the audacity to publically say, “I’m the best receiver in the game…tell Julio Jones to look up the stats. I got more touchdowns than Julio Jones had in the past five years. And I took a year off.” B/R Gridiron tweeted that beautiful excerpt.

However, the two compare quite nicely when it comes to stats. Brown has played in a total of 131 games while Jones has played a few lower at 126. Brown has recorded more receptions, while Jones has more receiving yards. And obviously, one has a home in the NFL and one doesn’t.

That’s when you have to stop and realize, being the absolute best in the league goes beyond just stats. Julio has gained respect for his pure talent—from his teammates, opposing players, coaches, and the fan base.

“Calvinisk”

In a recent interview, Heavy.com asked former Falcons fullback, Mike Cox about his time with Jones, and without hesitation, he compared him to playing with Johnson.

“Coming in, Julio’s rookie year was my first year there, Cox said. You can just tell he was just an athletic specimen, which I have only seen that once before. I came in with Calvin Johnson in college at Georgia Tech. We’re the same year and everything. He kind of had that “Calvinesk”. When he walked into a room everybody took notice. The things that he did in practice were kind of spectacular. People would see that and think he’s unbelievable. He would just do the same stuff in the games. I think I called him, he was very “Calvinesk.”

That’s a huge compliment.

Jones Set New Benchmarks

During Julio Jones’ nine seasons in the league, Calvin Johnson has been regarded as the most talented and physically gifted receivers in the NFL. Now Jones is viewed that way.

Last season, the Falcons ended with a 7-9 record, but that didn’t stop Jones from continuing to carry the team break personal records that made him even a more notable player.

Jones did what a lot of people thought he wouldn’t do by the end of last season—he broke Jerry Rice’s record in receiving yards in a single season. Jones set a new benchmark having 12,000 receiving yards in fewer than 17 games. He recorded 99 catches for 1,394 receiving yards and six touchdowns last season. Jones ranks 35th all-time with 797 receptions and 25th in league history with 12,125 receiving yards.

At the rate Jones is going, he has the ability to set more benchmarks above Johnson and many other top receivers in the league.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/05/julio-jones-top-receiver-all-decade-team/

Not really mad about Julios ranking. He’s about where I’d expect him to be tbh. 

However, I might be alone on this, but Hopkins is too high for me. I wouldn’t put him above either Ryan or Wilson. I wouldn’t put him above Green either if we’re talking about WRs. It seems like people have completely forgotten what Green has done in his career due to his recent injuries. 

4 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Not really mad about Julios ranking. He’s about where I’d expect him to be tbh. 

However, I might be alone on this, but Hopkins is too high for me. I wouldn’t put him above either Ryan or Wilson. I wouldn’t put him above Green either if we’re talking about WRs. It seems like people have completely forgotten what Green has done in his career due to his recent injuries. 

Green has not eclipsed 1,078 yards in the last 3 years. Decade team my ***

4 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Green has not eclipsed 1,078 yards in the last 3 years. Decade team my ***

It’s actually a top 100 list, they’re just basing it on the past decade. He doesn’t make the actual “all-decade team,” without looking at it again I’m pretty sure AB and Julio are the top 2 WRs on the list. Looking at the stats, I guess it’s not that big of travesty anyhow to have Hopkins over Green, but Green is still one of the best of the decade. 

1 minute ago, Atlantafan21 said:

It’s actually a top 100 list, they’re just basing it on the past decade. He doesn’t make the actual “all-decade team,” without looking at it again I’m pretty sure AB and Julio are the top 2 WRs on the list. Looking at the stats, I guess it’s not that big of travesty anyhow to have Hopkins over Green, but Green is still one of the best of the decade. 

He could've been the best without the injuries... at least give Julio a run for his money. Who would've thought that the guy that ran the 40 with a broken bone in his foot would be the healthier of the two?

All I know is the trade was ******* worth it. Julio is going down as the greatest Falcon of all time. Wore the jersey from start to finish. When he goes into the HOF there will be no doubt, he was a Falcon. 

No disrespect to Matt, who is bar none our best QB in franchise history. He just was never the best at his position. Julio is....and he will always be a Falcon. 

My initial thoughts were... "How are there 7 players better than Julio over the last 10 years", but actually looking at the guys ahead of him #8 looks about right (I'd probably argue Julio over Gronk). 

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

My initial thoughts were... "How are there 7 players better than Julio over the last 10 years", but actually looking at the guys ahead of him #8 looks about right (I'd probably argue Julio over Gronk). 

superbowls and marquee teams......media isn't capable of separating it out.    

Posted (edited)

Julio in the next 3 years is on pace to be top 10 in career catches All-Time,  Top 5 in career yards All-Time, and Number 1 in yards per game All-Time.

And that's just next 3 years, he wont even be 35 yet. Depending on how long he decides to play, he will likely finish between #1-3 All Time in all of those categories.

Edited by LightningDawg58

7 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Julio in the next 3 years is on pace to be top 10 in career catches All-Time,  Top 5 in career yards All-Time, and Number 1 in yards per game All-Time.

And that's just next 3 years, he wont even be 35 yet. Depending on how long he decides to play, he will likely finish between #1-3 All Time in all of those categories.

he should probably be #3 all-time on yards and catches by the time his career over - only behind Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald.   He's severely lagging in TDs - not sure where he will finish there.   If we had a better redzone QB than Matt Ryan - he would be higher up the list there as well.