Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconsIn2012

Don’t Like This Idea

There are better ways to promote hiring minority GM’s & Coaches

Owners to vote on resolution to incentivize minority HC, GM hires

• If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.
  • If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

If passed, the changes would be a radical departure from current protocol. League officials have been trying for years to implement programs and procedures that would increase advancement opportunities for minorities, from adopting the Rooney Rule in 2003 to increasing fellowship positions to bringing in pro and college coaches for networking and empowerment summits to working with clubs to allocate more entry-level positions to diverse candidates. In addition to the coaching hires, only two of the 32 GM positions currently belong to someone of color, alarming statistics considering 70 percent of head coach hires during the past three years came from two positions: quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator.i

I'll never understand why the most popular sport in America by far puts a media target on its back with stunts like this. The unnecessary Kap workout and now this. With no sports going on, this is all that will be discussed for a week and now I'll have to see Jemele Hill come across my timeline. 

That being said, Beinemey and Wilks should certainly be coaching somewhere in the NFL over some of the retread hires.

1 minute ago, stizz said:

I'll never understand why the most popular sport in America by far puts a media target on its back with stunts like this. The unnecessary Kap workout and now this. With no sports going on, this is all that will be discussed for a week and now I'll have to see Jemele Hill come across my timeline. 

That being said, Beinemey and Wilks should certainly be coaching somewhere in the NFL over some of the retread hires.

I agree.  I mean, moving up 10 spots in the draft by hiring a minority GM.

Belichick is likely to fire himself and hire a minority candidate to “act” as GM while BB remains GM in absentia.  He will do whatever he needs to do to gain competitive advantage...lol

2 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

Hopefully Bieminny is in ATL next year if DQ flops. 

I like him....another guy I like is Carmichael.  He has been overseeing the top offense for a decade and can’t get a job (he is not a minority)

6 minutes ago, stizz said:

I know. It's TERRIBLE to have to hear about correcting systemic injustice. Why can't they just shut up and tap dance, er...sing, ummm I mean entertain us?!

Jemele Hill IS SUUUUUUPER irritating though. I'll give you that much.

1 minute ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I know. It's TERRIBLE to have to hear about correcting systemic injustice. Why can't they just shut up and tap dance, er...sing, ummm I mean entertain us?!

It’s not correcting anything.  It’s simply manipulating.  

6 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Correcting systematic justice by bribing franchises for deserving hires?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Just about the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a long time. Thanks for making me feel smarter.

The people making these rules are the same people not hiring them right? 

Edited by falconfreak1

6 minutes ago, falconfreak1 said:

Just about the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a long time. Thanks for making me feel smarter. 

I'm quite sure absolutely nothing on this planet could make you any smarter. 😶

3 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I'm quite sure absolutely nothing on this planet could make you any smarter. 😶

I am pretty darn smart but even I can get smarter. Thanks for the compliment though. 

2 hours ago, falconfreak1 said:

The people making these rules are the same people not hiring them right? 

7w8DbxW.gif

2 hours ago, Scott1988 said:

I  was surprised nobody took Bienemmy after the Super Bowl

Tbh, I think he may come out ahead a bit. Several of the openings were meh. The Cowboys offense had potential, but I can't fault them for prioritizing McCarthy. Not sure I would want to walk into the Washington or Carolina situations either because of uncertainty around the QB position at the time. And I mean... why would anyone want to go to Cleveland lol. 

And I'm selfish. I wouldn't mind him being the Falcons guy if DQ is let go. Atlanta is a much better situation than the latter three teams for sure. 

3 hours ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Systemic injustice?  YOU KIDDING?  LOL

Jemele Hill

Who still listens to that dude?  

3 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

The NFL is a sad state of affairs when it comes to minorities in high positions, so as the saying goes “desperate times...”

Are they going to give teams incentives to drafting black players too?  What about signing black free agents?  Why even put the word minorities, when they are clearly talking about black people and maybe women.  

37 minutes ago, dawgsjw said:

Are they going to give teams incentives to drafting black players too?  What about signing black free agents?  Why even put the word minorities, when they are clearly talking about black people and maybe women.  

Pretty sure minority means all who aren’t the majority.  This is also about the top positions where the scale is extremely disproportionate.

There’s one Latino head coach but none in GM positions.