Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Falcons Fan MVP

Which Falcons team do you wish would have won the super bowl the most? 1998, 2012 or 2016? (You can only pick one)

16 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I would pick 2012 because Matt, Julio, Roddy, Turner, Gonzalez and $$$ Matt Bryant all would have gotten a ring.

I really liked that group of players, but I'd personally have to go with 2016. I attended the Denver game that year, so being a part of that run would have been awesome. Not to mention, the SB was played on my birthday.

23 minutes ago, Padawan Knight said:

I really liked that group of players, but I'd personally have to go with 2016. I attended the Denver game that year, so being a part of that run would have been awesome. Not to mention, the SB was played on my birthday.

What a lowsy birthday present you got that day. :(

I remember thinking how long (14 yrs) it had taken for them to get that far. Man did I have any idea of what was to come? Thankfully...no.

That season was magical. Started off bad then they pulled out wild last second heroic wins seemingly every week. I knew the team wasn't really all that good but fate had to be on their side for all these strange wins to occur.

The Cowboy loss in the playoffs was devastating. Very similar to the 28-3 super bowl loss emotionally because it was also a come from behind Falcon Flop. Winning the division that year was almost like getting to the super bowl for the franchise at that time especially considering the Rams and 49ers were the class of the league every year.

I really could smell that one. It still hurts.

2016.  Because we had it won before they imploded.

The 2012 team was always giving up big leads.  I think we would have beaten the Ravens, but to me they didn't earn it like that 2016 team did.  It sucks that the 2016 team blew it, but to me they were the best team in the NFL.

My 2nd vote wasn't a choice, but it would be the 1980 team.

22 minutes ago, slider said:

I remember thinking how long (14 yrs) it had taken for them to get that far. Man did I have any idea of what was to come? Thankfully...no.

That season was magical. Started off bad then they pulled out wild last second heroic wins seemingly every week. I knew the team wasn't really all that good but fate had to be on their side for all these strange wins to occur.

The Cowboy loss in the playoffs was devastating. Very similar to the 28-3 super bowl loss emotionally because it was also a come from behind Falcon Flop. Winning the division that year was almost like getting to the super bowl for the franchise at that time especially considering the Rams and 49ers were the class of the league every year.

I really could smell that one. It still hurts.

The 1980 team and the 2016 team have this in common -- there isn't a team in the NFL they couldn't beat.

The 1998 team wasn't there.  The 2012 team probably could have beaten the Ravens, but they barely got past the Seahawks and ended up losing to the Niners.  So to me, I'd take the 2 teams that with proper coaching were the best teams in the NFL those years, and that's 2016 and 1980.

Also, I'd love to see a lot of the guys on that 1980 team get a ring.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

The 1980 team and the 2016 team have this in common -- there isn't a team in the NFL they couldn't beat.

The 1998 team wasn't there.  The 2012 team probably could have beaten the Ravens, but they barely got past the Seahawks and ended up losing to the Niners.  So to me, I'd take the 2 teams that with proper coaching were the best teams in the NFL those years, and that's 2016 and 1980.

Also, I'd love to see a lot of the guys on that 1980 team get a ring.

Looking back on that team brings back a flood of memories and if you truly want to see the difference in today's game look at the roster of that 1980 Falcons team and check out the number of RB's on the team (6) vs. the number of WR's (5) and the number of LB's (8).

Up 24-10 at the half I think it was. I Didn't think they could ever blow a bigger lead or a bigger game than that one! Took them 36 more years to do it but they figured out a way to an even bigger Falcon Flop!

8 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Gotta LOL, sorry slider....:lol:

Q: what team: 2016, 2012, 1998

A: 1980

Had to get that in. I suspect that year was left off because of the age of the OP and that's perfectly understandable but being as the only thing orbiting the earth when I started watching the Falcons was the moon, I thought us old guys deserved some rep!

2012 if you go with the fact that there are more names and falcon legends on the roster. 

But I’d go 2016. Like others have said, that was our year. No one will ever be able to convince me that the Falcons weren’t the best team in the league that year. Idk if any team will ever feel the same as that team did. 

Posted (edited)

As a Falcons fan, isn't the obvious answer 1998 (or, even better, 1980)?

Winning it in those years would mean:

- having enjoyed being the fan of a Super Bowl champion for longer (22 and 40 years, respectively)

- winning it before either the Bucs or Saints, and being able to taunt their fans

Why would anyone want to wait longer to have your team be champions?? :shrug:

Edited by Kaptain Krazy

1 hour ago, slider said:

Looking back on that team brings back a flood of memories and if you truly want to see the difference in today's game look at the roster of that 1980 Falcons team and check out the number of RB's on the team (6) vs. the number of WR's (5) and the number of LB's (8).

Up 24-10 at the half I think it was. I Didn't think they could ever blow a bigger lead or a bigger game than that one! Took them 36 more years to do it but they figured out a way to an even bigger Falcon Flop!

We blew some pretty big leads in 2012 playoffs also 

19 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

As a Falcons fan, isn't the obvious answer 1998 (or, even better, 1980)?

Winning it in those years would mean:

- having enjoyed being the fan of a Super Bowl champion for longer (22 and 40 years, respectively)

- winning it before either the Bucs or Saints, and being able to taunt their fans

Why would anyone want to wait longer to have your team be champions?? :shrug:

Sometimes the longer the wait the sweeter the rewards, but we been waiting too long. If we win a super bowl before Matt Ryan retires I'll be content. 

2016 because we were the best team in the NFL. Two things killed us that game. The injury bug destroyed our offensive line with Matthews, Schraeder, and Mack playing hurt. I guess we were due considering how fortunate we were with injuries all year. And dumb coaching decisions.

2012 would have been nice but we blew it by playing Abraham in a meaningless game and getting hurt.